LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Do you all with Nav systems display the map or turn it off?

Old 04-14-18, 08:09 AM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Do you all with Nav systems display the map or turn it off?

Until recently I did not know about the option to turn off the display. It is so much better at night to drive without it casting light into your direction even on the most dim setting. That and since a phone does navigation I never used the map plus it is less wear and tear on the screen to not having it running constantly.

I just wish they had designed the fan speed and a/c buttons to be buttons on the dash and not be in the touch screen display. When I run the a/c in auto mode and I get within 5 minutes of the destination I set it to max cold and shut off the compressor so the evap gradually warms up and there is no water in a dark cooler box for mold to grow in. I use the display pretty much for that one task. Audio is always streaming so no display use for it either.
Old 04-14-18, 09:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I think half the time I have the screen on audio....I have the XM activated.....but if not audio usually map. I only use the map to see where I am in general, not for navigation, as I always keep the map oriented north.

I see your point with the climate controls. Me, I hate having to pass through auto to get to fresh air. Seems when it's a certain temp (like yesterday), the car fires up on recirculate. I almost never want that at all. To get to fresh, when it hits auto, the a/c turns on. That is poor design, which is usually not the case with the Japanese.
Old 04-14-18, 10:21 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I was turning it off for a while, but my wife kept getting upset and asking me "Why are you messing with my car?!?"

So, I leave it alone....
Old 04-14-18, 10:37 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I basically keep it shut off. Perfect space for a phone. Had the screen rebuilt (250) for the occasional use (as preventive maintenance). One less thing to worry about.
Old 04-14-18, 05:00 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

I turn mine off if I'm driving on a dark road for an extended period of time but otherwise it's on all of the time...
Old 04-14-18, 05:04 PM
rbock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep mine on all of the time
Old 04-14-18, 05:23 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

I keep it on all the time it lets me text and drive without getting pulled over..........just kidding but I do keep it on all the time I do not find it bothersome at night at all.
Old 04-14-18, 07:32 PM
Fish
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Screen off all the time. Don’t like the light when driving at night.
Old 04-14-18, 08:12 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I think half the time I have the screen on audio....I have the XM activated.....but if not audio usually map. I only use the map to see where I am in general, not for navigation, as I always keep the map oriented north.

I see your point with the climate controls. Me, I hate having to pass through auto to get to fresh air. Seems when it's a certain temp (like yesterday), the car fires up on recirculate. I almost never want that at all. To get to fresh, when it hits auto, the a/c turns on. That is poor design, which is usually not the case with the Japanese.
I hated that auto on/off recirculate feature so I had the dealer deactivate it with Techstram programming. The button now controls that on mine like on a manual system but it is still a bad design because if I want to just vent outside air on a nice day if I have the temp at max cold and push the circulation button to from recirculate to outside air it will go into the auto position first and the a/c compressor comes on so I have to go into the climate control menu and turn off the compressor. The car apparently has pollution sensors that will go into recirculate if the outside air is dirty. That was the thinking behind making it so complicated. I kind of miss my base 05....you hit the fan speed button to get out of auto mode then the a/c button to kill the compressor and you were done.
Old 04-17-18, 04:00 AM
GRR125
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you explain how to turn it off?
thank you.
Old 04-17-18, 08:13 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

We display the map only when driving in distant or new to us locations. Quick to push
the map button locally if traffic backs up and need to know if a side route would go
though or is a dead end.
Go to settings and change "Auto Screen Change" to Off. This will allow any screen
you wish to remain on, Radio works for us, Climate not very often.
Old 04-17-18, 01:44 PM
unagijimbo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For the most part mine would stay on the disclaimer screen. I got the grom vline about a year ago and it gave the dated interface a MUCH needed facelift and I fell in love with my LS all over again, hopefully for another 150,000 miles.

CarPlay and Waze on the factory nav is truly amazing. It's also nice to take/make calls through CarPlay and to not have to use the clunky bluetooth system.
Old 04-17-18, 05:48 PM
TLguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Screen off all of the time. Hate the navigation running. Really hate that the screen is needed for the A/C controls!
Old 04-17-18, 06:12 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I always drive with the maps displaying.

Even though I have the latest/greatest DVD map database (final update in 2015?), and the maps are outdated, and even though I never USE the routing/navigation feature of the system anymore. It's algorithms for navigation/routing are painfully and embarrassingly terrible, and well documented as such.

I do like to generally "see" where I am on a map though, sometimes I'm zoomed in to 2nd closest, sometimes zoomed out to 1 mile scale, etc.
Old 04-17-18, 06:33 PM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by unagijimbo
For the most part mine would stay on the disclaimer screen. I got the grom vline about a year ago and it gave the dated interface a MUCH needed facelift and I fell in love with my LS all over again, hopefully for another 150,000 miles.

CarPlay and Waze on the factory nav is truly amazing. It's also nice to take/make calls through CarPlay and to not have to use the clunky bluetooth system.
woah, first time I've heard of Vline. Wish it was compatible to the 01~03 models. Seems like we're sol in that case.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you all with Nav systems display the map or turn it off?