LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ipod shuffle replacement

Old 04-11-18, 02:05 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Ipod shuffle replacement

Hi all, I'm an old timer that still uses his Ipod shuffle with a cassette tape adapter to listen to my favorite songs. Unfortunately, the battery is probably going bad on the shuffle as I need to charge it regularly.. I have about 200 songs I like to listen to and the shuffle has really worked well for me without having to make any upgrades to my 2001 Lexus audio system which works great with replaced subwoofer and door speakers. Does anyone have any suggestions as to any other apple device that would work with the cassette adaptor and/or where I could get another shuffle without paying the ridiculous prices they are asking on Amazon etc for new shuffles? I really don't want to do any upgrades to my original ML audio system. Thanks all..
Old 04-11-18, 02:43 PM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Get the battery replaced. Order one from China on ebay, and replace it yourself. There are YouTube videos on how to. You can also order the battery and have your local electronic shop do it for you.
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (04-11-18)
Old 04-11-18, 02:51 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by imdking
Get the battery replaced. Order one from China on ebay, and replace it yourself. There are YouTube videos on how to. You can also order the battery and have your local electronic shop do it for you.
I thought it was a sealed unit that could not have the battery replaced. Your suggestion sounds great. Would the shops that repair iphones be the place to inquire? Thanks very much.
Old 04-11-18, 03:52 PM
imdking
Pole Position

Yes. iPhone repair shops, or your regular TV repair shop. They are "sealed" just means the user cannot just pop a door open for a quick battery drop like you would a TV remote control. Apple would send the units to an "authorized" dealer for warranty battery replacement..... i. e. someone who knows what they are doing. They can be opened, they just don't want every regular Joe attempting it.
Old 04-11-18, 04:22 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Yes. iPhone repair shops, or your regular TV repair shop. They are "sealed" just means the user cannot just pop a door open for a quick battery drop like you would a TV remote control. Apple would send the units to an "authorized" dealer for warranty battery replacement..... i. e. someone who knows what they are doing. They can be opened, they just don't want every regular Joe attempting it.
Thanks. I'll certainly give it a try. I'll locate a local an apple store first to see if they can help me.. Thanks again. PS..... my shuffle works fine... it's just that after leaving it in the car for days or a week or so it needs to be charged again. Is that normal for it's age?
Old 04-11-18, 04:34 PM
imdking
Pole Position

It's time for a new battery. I have an ipod classic and an ipod video that won't hold charge anymore. I need 2 batteries, and i'll be doing the job myself.
Old 04-11-18, 04:41 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

It's time for a new battery. I have an ipod classic and an ipod video that won't hold charge anymore. I need 2 batteries, and i'll be doing the job myself.
Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated. I'll try to find a shop to make it happen. In the mean time... it still works and I'll stretch out the time between tunes! lol
Old 04-12-18, 05:17 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Will I lose my songs when the battery is replaced?
Old 04-13-18, 04:47 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Will I lose my songs when the battery is replaced?
You shouldn't, but to be safe make sure you have all the songs on the Ipod in your ITunes account. If need be you can sync the Ipod with the account and ensure the songs are saved.

I gave my parents my old Ipod Classic (big clunky one with the monochrome screen) and the battery doesn't stay charged very long, so he keeps a USB adapter in the cigarette lighter and just keeps the Ipod plugged in all the time. Extra cords, yes, but it works for him...
Old 04-13-18, 06:32 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Turns out after making an appt with my local Apple store, they told me they could not repair or replace it. They were replacing them at one time but no longer continue that practice. On the apple site after punching in the serial number they call the shuffle obsolete. I tried a local phone repair place and they too would not touch it. I'm stuck right now other than charging it as often as i can when leaving my car. I wish I knew a place that would change the battery for me but I've come upon a dead end.
Old 04-14-18, 12:16 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Check out ifixit.com. They have excellent write ups and how-to's for replacing parts on Apple devices. I have used the site a couple of times when replacing parts on my MacBook Pro. A lot times, they even sell kits (tools and parts) to fix the issue as well.
Old 04-14-18, 03:53 PM
imdking
Pole Position

Check your local "classifieds" for an electronic or TV repair shop. There are still some old timers out there with a workbench with a swiveling magnifying glass and light stand that tinker on appliances. You just gotta find them.
Old 04-15-18, 06:20 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Have you thought about plugging it in while in the car? Then the battery becomes a non-issue..
Old 04-15-18, 09:46 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Have you thought about plugging it in while in the car? Then the battery becomes a non-issue..
There is only one female pin insert which is needed in order to play music with the cassette deck adapter.
Old 04-15-18, 09:20 PM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like they only sell the ipod touch now. I think most people have migrated to using their phones for music. I still have an Ipod nano and I also have music on my phone and I use both with a tape adapter in my LS. You can probably pick up a cheap nano or shuffle on ebay. Plenty of used ones and even new ones still floating around on there. Or even just a cheap mp3 player if you dont want to use your phone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ipod shuffle replacement