LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Buying an LS 430 and shipping without personally seeing, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-18, 08:30 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Little
I am about to change what I am looking for. I found a 2005 blue on beige that is within 2hrs of me. It is a little high on mileage at 127,289 but after running it though my owners site, its been fully maintained including timing belt and water pump at its scheduled time. It has had new rear struts installed, and new oxygen sensors. It is a one owner. Car has been fully serviced by one dealer throughout its life and its last service was within 2 months ago at the same dealer which included all new brakes. It has had some minor hiccups along the road but nothing major. The price is a great deal in my opinion at $6691. I may be giving them a call today.

On a side note, I drive very little miles per year as I have a company truck and my wife has a new Kia Sorento Limited that we use mostly including trips so mileage is not of a concern. Id say i put on less than 3000 miles a year if that on my car i drive after work.
I'm not afraid of relatively high mileage on a good car, especially if it's been cared for. It's "miles per year from new" and what I usually will drive per year that enables me to gauge future usage.
Old 03-10-18, 03:38 PM
charleston
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I sell cars and have customers purchase sight unseen all of the time

It comes down to a multitude of things: Reviews are my first thing, if a dealer has horrible reviews, I wont bother.
My second thing is a TON of photos (100+) and ask for videos. Dont be afraid to make them do the leg work.
Third, I can get a good feeling if someone is honest or not pretty quickly.
Old 03-12-18, 04:22 AM
lexman52
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Buying on line without seeing in person

Last year I bought a 2003UL 77K out of W. Virginia. I am very picky on condition so it took me awhile. When I saw this on the web it looked to good to be true. Dealer told me it was perfect.I hade him take a lot more pics. Close up of front seat Front and rear bumpers, Hood for rock chips. Close up of each part of dash. It was as he said it was. Carfax had no service records. It did not concern me that much because it was very well cared for. Being the condition it was in I believe the rest of the car would be taken care of as well. I paid 11k with shipping. I though it was I good deal compared to what I saw out there. I could not be more happy with everything about this car. Subwoofer is blown thou.

Last edited by lexman52; 03-12-18 at 04:25 AM.
Old 03-12-18, 05:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I came across a YouTube where it said never simply buy a car sight unseen, even though every one of us knows people who have done it, and everything was fine. I suppose, it's like buying a dog at a pet store or an engagement ring in the mall, or using a website where there's a price guarantee on a car. It's much easier, but not the best way to go about things (I was told the mall engagement ring only works for people with bad credit--otherwise who would ever want to pay more, and get less, the mall doesn't usually even sell GIA diamonds, so much for the four C's).
Old 03-12-18, 09:56 AM
Wilson430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand the frustration of trying to find a good LS – I looked every day for over 8 months – I came close a couple of times to pulling the trigger out of frustration of not being able to find the car in the condition I wanted with low miles – But I didn’t and I am glad I waited until I finally found a car in the condition and a color combo I liked in almost perfect condition – Lessons learned, it was worth the wait and effort and no matter how perfect the car is, you will find some minor things that need to be done.

This 75 year old has had lots of cars in my day but the LS430’s are one of the best driving cars on the road today. Every time I get in the car to go somewhere I get a big smile on my face – It is worth the wait so I encourage everyone looking to keep looking until you find the perfect car.
Old 03-14-18, 03:31 AM
ES350AQUA
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased a 1994 SVT Lightning a couple of years back, sight unseen. Wasn't too bad but I would never do it again.....ended up selling it after a few months....If I cannot see it in person it is not for me....
Old 03-14-18, 03:58 AM
Little80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to walk from the car out west for the time being but will continue to monitor the price on it. If at some point it gets a crazy reduction I would make an attempt to go see it. Today I'm actually going to see a 2005 white with cashmere about an hour from me. It has 88,000 miles on it and I hear it's immaculate. I guess I'll see.
Old 03-14-18, 07:05 AM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Little80
I decided to walk from the car out west for the time being but will continue to monitor the price on it. If at some point it gets a crazy reduction I would make an attempt to go see it. Today I'm actually going to see a 2005 white with cashmere about an hour from me. It has 88,000 miles on it and I hear it's immaculate. I guess I'll see.
I think it is better this way. Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-14-18, 01:35 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I got my first Touareg was when I drove to Chicago. Salesman said “it’s perfect if you see it and don’t think so you r gonna have to buy new”. I got boatloads of pictures and he was right car was perfect worth the 3 hour drive to check it out.

i regret selling it an 012 TDI a couple years ago. I payed 45k it I could have driven it to 80k had it for 5 years the diesel buy back would have payed me 48k last year. Needed to downgrade wife went back to school to be an NP
Old 03-16-18, 04:12 PM
ibrahim83
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Never buy a car sight unseen. Too many variables. Just pay a third party to inspect it. it's worth the 100-150 to do it. and i sell cars for a living. I even created this account to tell you that. (long time lurker though).
Old 03-22-18, 10:04 AM
HeresJonny
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lemon Squad

I highly recommend Lemon Squad (https://lemonsquad.com) for a remote pre-purchase inspection.

I purchased sight unseen from FL (I'm in Boston) last year and had a fantastic experience with them. The mechanic spent ~2hrs, took 75 pics including the oil dipstick, took it for a test drive, noted the tiniest issues, measured the AC air temp, and checked all the UL features that I asked them to check, and wrote up a huge report.

Car arrived (shipped via Montway) with no unexpected surprises; everything was exactly as the Lemon Squad guy had said. Would never have bought it without that kind of detailed inspection.

Good luck!
Old 03-22-18, 07:59 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my 02 Ultra from a dealer in Palm Beach, FL who sent me pics. However, it was only four years old, and it was a CPO car, so it was easy. Id spring for the inspection, so you can get a very accurate opinion of the car. The car is twelve years old, and cannot be perfect, but it can be darn good. My 02 is nearly like a new car, but I would actually prefer somebody look at it when I sell it.