LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Power Steering Reservoir- Cleaning Help

Old 05-16-19, 05:43 PM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I'll lightly clean it when I change out the fluid, that's it. I just don't see the point in getting the darn thing shiny clean.

I do have a real handy method to change it tho. It is called a Topsider, and it is an awesome tool. I've had mine for many years 15 or so now. It's a very old school tool as is the design. I could change the oil on my MB diesels in a suit and tie with the Topsider. It's a vacuum pump, you supply the pumping. It will draw a serious vacuum, in fact you can cave the top of the metal can in, ask me how I know. There are a number of others on the market and I have no affiliation. This tool gets the job done. I have yet to change oil on the LS with it, I've done the 4runner and it's great. The tube that goes down the dipstick tube is plastic and can melt on some vehicles.....again, ask me how I know. Inspect first. LS looks like it will work great. I shall report back in a few weeks when I do another change. Did it from below last time.

A 5 quart capacity tank of vacuum is a very good thing to have. Brake bleeding? Cake. Drain the PS fluid? Sucks it up in a matter of a few seconds. Brake fluid all gone like PS fluid quick and easy. It's also storage for the bad fluids till it's full. One of those tools that has never changed AFAIK, the pic here is off the web and looks identical to mine. Tip. Warm up your car to operating temp prior to draining, lots quicker. Again, I'll report back when I do the LS for the first time with it, having already taken a close look am sure it will work great.
One can adapt different size hoses down to 1/4" OD or even less. It really helps if the fluids are warmed operating temp is perfect.
Old 10-13-20, 02:38 PM
sertimins
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PS Reservoir cleaning

I don’t have a before picture as I wasn’t going to blog about it but after many years of just dealing with black reservoir, I decided to attempt a clean. Carborator cleaner, q tips and lots of patience.
Old 10-14-20, 06:26 AM
Catalina45
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Good job on the cleaning. As a follow-up I use a Mighty Vac and pull out the contents of the reservoir every 6 months. After initially doing this for 2 quarts over two months the synthetic ATF removed the residual grime in the reservoir and now it’s just preventative maintenance to keep the fluid fresh.