KYB springs vs OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-18, 10:33 AM
beercan
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default KYB springs vs OEM?

Hello everyone.
Problem: my rear springs are sagged and the back of the car is lower than the front.
My goal: I want to align the car, the wheel gap has to be the same.
Shocks - KYB GR2.

Question: I look into replacing both front and rear springs to new KYBs, or is it better to replace just rears to new OEM?
Are the KYB springs stiffer than OEM? Are they the same length? Thanks!

P.S. I own a set of Tanabe springs and won't even put them again. Horrible ride quality over our roads (lots of bumps and holes).

Thank you.
Old 02-23-18, 10:53 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

That’s how the car sits normally. A bigger gap in the front than rear. I agree that it looks weird. Take a pic and post it. Maybe yours is a lot worst than others
Old 02-23-18, 11:24 AM
onthelo
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

OEM parts will ride the best of course because that is what the car was built on imo but if you swap them out just the rears you should be fine or if you want to replace all four that's up too. No one can really provide good feedback because everyone's opinion of ride quality will be different but you can bet with OEM it will ride the best. Usually what I do is try to ride in someones car that has the part I am looking to use and see how it works then decide from there.
Old 02-23-18, 11:30 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by yoitskenn
That’s how the car sits normally. A bigger gap in the front than rear. I agree that it looks weird. Take a pic and post it. Maybe yours is a lot worst than others
Agreed 100%. The best way to determine if your car is level is to measure the distance between the rocker panel to the ground (see red arrows).

Old 02-23-18, 12:18 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by beercan
P.S. I own a set of Tanabe springs and won't even put them again. Horrible ride quality over our roads (lots of bumps and holes).

Thank you.
Reasonably speaking, most of LS owners who are looking for a sportier ride or enhancement of ride stability prefer to choose Tanabe springs as an entry level solution. Have you installed the NF model in your car? I have it done a long time ago and there was never a day when I thought my LS ride quality is worsened. On the contrary, I have no more cornering and braking is so much more precise. It is just a perfect balance as was claimed by Tanabe company.

But I would like to ask you. When you installed Tanabe springs, did you perform the retorque of front suspension and rear suspension bushings at a new ride height? From my experience, this step is absolutely necessary for overall ride quality adjustment. Primary areas to look at is front rear large bushing and bracket, and front upper control arms torque. Let the rubber do the work!
Old 02-24-18, 03:49 AM
beercan
Pit Crew

Hi! Yes, I installed NF Tanabe springs, drove them for about 2 weeks and hated the driving quality. Yes, the steering precision, braking improved a lot. But the car lost it's "floatiness", I felt the road much more, every tiny rock on the road.
The suspension became so much stiffer and the travel of the shocks decreased.
We have horrible roads with lots of bumps and potholes, so the suspension has to be soft.

I didn't perform the retorque of the bushings, never heard of that.
Where can I find more info on this? What level of improvement can be achieved?

Thank you!

Originally Posted by ls430w140
Reasonably speaking, most of LS owners who are looking for a sportier ride or enhancement of ride stability prefer to choose Tanabe springs as an entry level solution. Have you installed the NF model in your car? I have it done a long time ago and there was never a day when I thought my LS ride quality is worsened. On the contrary, I have no more cornering and braking is so much more precise. It is just a perfect balance as was claimed by Tanabe company.

But I would like to ask you. When you installed Tanabe springs, did you perform the retorque of front suspension and rear suspension bushings at a new ride height? From my experience, this step is absolutely necessary for overall ride quality adjustment. Primary areas to look at is front rear large bushing and bracket, and front upper control arms torque. Let the rubber do the work!
Old 02-24-18, 03:53 AM
beercan
Pit Crew

No, it's about the same as everyone else's. Just wanted to find a good solution for it.

Originally Posted by yoitskenn
Old 02-24-18, 06:24 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by beercan
I didn't perform the retorque of the bushings, never heard of that.
Where can I find more info on this?
Old 02-24-18, 09:55 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I converted from air to KYB, and the ride is so much better. The ride is still smooth but firmer...like a German car. The handling is better too. If you like a soft ride, don't get KYB, but if not, go KYB
Old 02-25-18, 08:46 AM
beercan
Pit Crew

You got KYB shocks and springs?
I already have KYB shocks and I like the softer ride.

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I converted from air to KYB, and the ride is so much better. The ride is still smooth but firmer...like a German car. The handling is better too. If you like a soft ride, don't get KYB, but if not, go KYB
Old 02-25-18, 09:06 AM
beercan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Thank you!