LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Thinking about an 04 LS430 have one in mind.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-18, 04:04 PM
ES350AQUA
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking about an 04 LS430 have one in mind.

I currently have a 2017 Civic SI, I am not upside down on my car and was offered a very good price on my car. I have always loved these LS 400's / 430's. I like my current car very sporty and fun, good gas mileage, etc...I am 52 years old and feel this is really a young man's car. I am on the fence of selling mine and getting a very nice LS430 as I said I have one in particular in mind. Civic is nice but not really into car payments as with the purchase of this Lexus I will be once again payment free. The LS I am looking at is at a Lexus dealership, one owner car, 87k miles...Your thoughts?
Old 02-15-18, 04:24 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Need more info on LS. Year, color, interior color, price, ultra luxury or not. I also think it's super cool that you are drive a Civic SI!
The following users liked this post:
ES350AQUA (02-16-18)
Old 02-16-18, 08:55 AM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Take the LS for a test drive. 87k is just getting broken in for an LS.

I would trade a Civic with a loan for an LS (with a smaller loan or paid for) any day. I am 47, so not quite to 50. I love the style of the LS 430.

I drive an 01. 133k miles. It is just a pure pleasure to drive. My wife has an 04 with 65k miles. She likes it except for the RWD at times in the winter months. I have been mulling over getting her an AWD GS and taking her LS. But, I don't want to get rid of my 01 LS. 1st world problems.
ES350AQUA (02-16-18)
Old 02-16-18, 09:55 AM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I would go for the LS as well. I'm 39 and had many Japanese cars (240sx, MR2, 3000GT, Legend, SC300, Celica, and Maxima) in the past. Of all of them I think the LS430 is the best at doing multiple things like providing comfort, quality, reliability, and value. I would say only the SC was the car I liked better but it was for the sole reason of seat comfort/driving position and you felt you were driving something really special each time you got in the car. The R&D that went into the SC was more along the lines of "build the best of the best" when Toyota was still establishing themselves with the Lexus brand. With the LS430 Toyota actually went backwards and cut costs on the lower trim levels; a bad idea IMHO. Unless you buy a custom or ultra luxury LS you do not get leather on the door arm rests (was standard on all pre 2001 LS), console, or dash. The quality of the leather on LS430 is also inferior to what they used in LS400s. That said, the LS430 is still a great car. I would say of the cars I have ridden in only a Rolls Royce, Bentley, and S600 Mercedes Benz had a better ride quality.

It is now or never with the LS430. They are at the depreciation sweet spot where around $12-17K will buy a really nice one (one owner, dealer maintained, zero mods, etc). Once they age another 5 years they will become cheap enough to get into the hands of people who will use them as beaters or run them on a low budget. Most of them will get butchered like LS400s have. Then you also have the rubber parts that perish with age so the suspension, engine seals, etc...will all be more likely to have problems.
ES350AQUA (02-16-18)
Old 02-16-18, 10:30 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Man, I can relate to your predicament. We had one LS and I decided to get something "Sporty" for my commute each day. I bought a brand new 2016 Hyundai Veloster and after 5 weeks I couldn't stand it any more. Found a second LS and traded the Hyundai in on the LS430. I bought the Hyundai through a purchase program with my employer and got it for a steal. The dealership gave me basically what I paid for the Hyundai, so I felt comfortable with the trade. Best move I could have made. Some folks love small cars, but I prefer a larger comfortable ride.
Oh, and I'm 52 as well...

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 02-17-18 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Grammatical errors... I can't stand grammatical errors
ES350AQUA (02-16-18)
Old 02-16-18, 03:06 PM
ES350AQUA
Rookie

Hey guys thank you for the responses. I apologize for the delay just been busy with work. Here is a link to the car I am talking about let me know what you guys think? I appreciate it.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ink=true&Log=0
Old 02-16-18, 04:47 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

That's a fair enough price for a Lexus dealer, but the total lack of service records on the Carfax would be a concern for me. Suggest you run its VIN through the Lexus website - perhaps some service history will appear there.
ES350AQUA (02-17-18)
Old 02-16-18, 06:14 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Looks to be a real nice car, ever so slightly high for an '04 but it's still worth it if you can get them to change the timing belt and water pump or prove that it has been done recently. I haven't looked up the service records but I bet the TB/WP haven't been changed yet since it's right at 90k. That would definitely be some kind of a bargaining point. Also have them verify the door actuators on all the doors are still good and check the control arm bushings. Other than those you should be golden for that price especially from a Lexus dealer.

Based on how clean the interior looks and how clear the headlights seem to be I would bet it was garaged it's whole life. Wish I would have found something like that last year when I was looking.

If you're serious you better jump on this one quick before it disappears......and let us know if you get it.
ES350AQUA (02-17-18)
Old 02-16-18, 08:07 PM
Satchmo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously your the one that's going to have to weigh all the pros and cons and make the final decision, but if you get the LS 430 and it doesn't work out for whatever reason you can always go out and get another civic and "payment" Whatever you do, please go take it on a good long test drive and then go home and sleep on it . By the way, I'm 49 and looking for a LS 430 too.
ES350AQUA (02-17-18)
Old 02-16-18, 09:11 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I reviewed the full service records and it was maintained well from Lexus. And note that the steering wheel doesn't have any cracks (like mine in South Florida) which aligns with caverman's comments about being garaged.
ES350AQUA (02-17-18)
Old 02-16-18, 09:20 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Looks just like my twin. I'd try to get the dealer to change the timing belt if not already done otherwise inspect it well and then go for it if it passes muster...
Old 02-17-18, 11:02 AM
ES350AQUA
Rookie

Originally Posted by lsdude
I reviewed the full service records and it was maintained well from Lexus. And note that the steering wheel doesn't have any cracks (like mine in South Florida) which aligns with caverman's comments about being garaged.
Isdude: I appreciate you doing that for me, All you guys have been a big help with this. My days off are Sunday-Tuesday so I will be definitely going to check it out in person. It is about 180 miles from me.
There is another I just saw in Craigslist a few more miles, cheaper , private owner. I will include the link.
https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/cto...496572213.html
Old 02-17-18, 05:13 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

That car on autotrader.com is gone, but the Anthracite car on Craigslist looks good, however, it's interesting that the only work he's performed himself is the timing belt(of all things !).... It's definitely worth a look. ask him for details on the timing belt work. Tensioners changed? Who made the kit? Don't ask if it's an Aisin kit, have him tell you, etc...
Old 02-17-18, 09:49 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
That car on autotrader.com is gone.
I figured that one wouldn't be around very long at all. That looked to be a very decent one. That one is one of those you have to jump on immediately or someone else will
Old 02-17-18, 11:02 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm 26 and I sold my immaculate V6 Ford Mondeo for a 2000 ML LS430 (Singapore spec). I still miss the car but I can do so much more in the LS that I really couldn't do in the Mondeo. Buy it and don't look back

Quick Reply: Thinking about an 04 LS430 have one in mind.