LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Do i need to get a new lexus

Old 02-09-18, 01:05 PM
djs123
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Do i need to get a new lexus

I have a 2006 LS430 in excellent condition and am a widow with three small dogs. I travel 1500 miles twice a year and need a good reliable car. I have 113,000 miles on my car and have kept up with all the maintenance and have had very minimal issues. Did the 90,000 maintenance replacing timing belt and whatever else book said to do and do regular synthetic oil changes and have the car checked over before each trip. Just got four new tires this year.

My battery did die twice without warning, didn't even get a click on the ignition, couldn't even turn the key, but remedied with a new battery. Was told by the local mechanic that batteries in Florida general last 2 years, so I will plan on checking my battery health at the 18 month mark.
My car did break down once on the road, but fortunately, it was a week after I made my 1500 mile journey. The alternator had to be replaced for $650.00. I periodically get the scary red triangle which always seems to be a false alarm. Sometimes the ignition switch won't move but if I adjust the steering wheel it's fine.

So......how does this sound? Will my car make it to 200,000 miles or should I consider getting a new car, which I really can't afford but want to be safe?

Thanks for your input, very much appreciate this site.
Old 02-09-18, 03:08 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Your car seems fine from what you say. Alternators and batteries fail. I have same ignition switch issue from time to time with my '06 at 63,000 miles - a tug on the locked steering wheel frees it. It's as good a used car with its mileage as any out there.
Old 02-09-18, 03:08 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2006 went 365,000 miles, before traded it in on a Hyundai Equus.
Keep it.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (10-03-20)
Old 02-09-18, 03:27 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Just so you know having to turn your steering wheel to unlock the ignition does not count as an issue ! Its normal !

It's a 12 year old car and everyone in a 430 is trying to delay replacing theirs too !. Your repairs and breakdown can happen on a newer car or even a new car ! By the sounds of it you are doing the right maintenance and it should be a reliable car. I don't think you have to worry..

My friends keep asking me why I keep driving an older car and my reply is always " as soon as this one starts to become unreliable or costing me too much in repairs I will replace it" Its been a great car and I am planning on 5 more years from my 2005.

Hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (02-14-18)
Old 02-09-18, 03:38 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I hate to get personal here, but you mentioned you are a widow and I don't know your age. I would tell anyone who doesn't have regular guidance for the particulars in older car ownership to get a newer car as issues will arise that can not always be remedied easily. This is a car enthusiast forum and if you have a good friend or someone who could guide you through any issues as they arise, fine. Otherwise, let's understand that you are driving a 12 year old car and regardless of it's reputation of being reliable it's still an old car. If you were my relative, I would tell you to get a newer car, and not necessarily a Lexus, but It is my preference as well as many Asian models.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bocatrip:
NavyTrev (10-01-20), sha4000 (02-14-18)
Old 02-09-18, 04:11 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

welcome OP. To answer your question, yes your car will make it to 200k miles, and it will do so economically, especially with your maintenance approach and usage pattern. You said you really can't afford a new car, which I assume would include a budget car such as a new Toyota Corolla. If that's true, then certainly keep the LS, continue to maintain and enjoy it. If its not quite true, then perhaps you can consider a new Corolla for around $16k. It would be utterly reliable and minimal maintenance for several years, but far less comfortable than your LS. Minimal maintenance means nothing but oil changes for several years. But the new car depreciation would hurt you and probably amount to 10-20% a year. All things considered I'd just keep the LS, continue to maintain it and save the hassle of getting a new car.
Old 02-10-18, 04:06 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

An '06 with 113K with the timing belt done in FL.....sounds like you need to sell it me.

All joking aside, you're car is just getting started. You'll probably have some minor things here and there but as long as you can find a local mechanic that won't take you to the cleaners you should be fine and you probably won't find a better overall car for the price you would get for it. It's probably going to be worth more to you to keep it than to trade it in for next to nothing.

But, hey, I'm not kidding when I say that if you get serious about selling it let us know first so we can have first dibs.
Old 02-11-18, 05:24 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I certainly think your car will make it to 200,000 miles but you have to understand that when dealing with a 12 year old car, there are many many suspension components that probably need attention...pretty much anything rubber...sway bar bushings, links, control arm bushings. Throw in some tie rods and ***** joints. But this normal stuff. This happens to every car.
Old 02-11-18, 05:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

My honest opinion, I think your car will be fine, with perhaps little things here and there going wrong, but not catastrophic. And since affordability was mentioned, my advice would be to NOT spend money to avoid the unknown, when the odds of the unknown are far in your favor.

I've only had one since October 2016. I purchased at 81k, and there were little things here and there that did not function (12V lighter, high mount light, rear sunshade, telescope wheel weak, pass side mirror gel gone so doesn't dim in middle).

The big ones were driver door actuator not working, and brakes pulsating (maintenance item).

This past week I would say the first thing went wrong in 16 mos., and that was a parking sensor seems to have gone bad (always beeps now and flashes when stopped, even if nothing around--I think that is a diagnostic warning, the flashing).

I truly believe my car will easily do 200k, and hopefully well beyond that...
Old 02-11-18, 10:49 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Your car will be fine. My parents just put 200k on their 2001 model with very few issues and my dad is not the best at keeping up maintenance.... especially if it costs money. Enjoy your ride take care of the little things if they bother you. Going from this to a Corolla would be a huge ride degradation. And more money over the long run in my perspective.
Old 02-11-18, 03:00 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I hate to get personal here, but you mentioned you are a widow and I don't know your age. I would tell anyone who doesn't have regular guidance for the particulars in older car ownership to get a newer car as issues will arise that can not always be remedied easily. This is a car enthusiast forum and if you have a good friend or someone who could guide you through any issues as they arise, fine. Otherwise, let's understand that you are driving a 12 year old car and regardless of it's reputation of being reliable it's still an old car. If you were my relative, I would tell you to get a newer car, and not necessarily a Lexus, but It is my preference as well as many Asian models.
Says the man whose LS430 is five years OLDER than the one the poster is talking about doesn't plan on getting rid of his any time soon, LOL.

DJS123, don't take this the wrong way but you would be foolish to trade in your car now. Sounds like it has been well taken care of and as long as you manage to continue to enjoy the car you are way better off keeping it instead of trying to replace it with something else. 250,000 miles on these cars is nothing.

As for the red triangle, it will come on when you need an oil change so that one shouldn't count. And your mechanic is correct, batteries in hotter areas of the country don't last as long as they do in the North. Let us know what you decide...
Old 02-11-18, 03:36 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

DJS123.....As you have mentioned you have already broken down with your LS430 but had it remedied with a new battery and can't afford a new car, then I will say this to you If you are ok with periodical service and a possible expensive repair, yes you are ok with keeping your reliable LS430. I just wanted you to understand that although the LS430 is a very reilaible car... it is still old and getting older and constant maintenance will be required. As long as you are aware of this, you are good. After all.. what car is more reliable than a Toyota? Good luck and tell us how you make out?
Old 02-11-18, 04:30 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Keep it... you are fine. Just turned 220K on our '01 and plan on having it for another 100K easily...
Old 02-12-18, 11:18 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

You did not mention what battery brand you use. I live in Central Florida and have used Interstate Batteries for years - and I have never become stranded due to a battery issue.

If you are nervous about a battery, get starter cables and maybe a portable battery pack (which needs recharging periodically) so you're not stranded.

And, oh yeah, a membership to AAA with Plus which gives you free towing to 100 miles. Free flat tire changes, battery starts, and lockouts to name a few benefits...
Old 02-12-18, 12:43 PM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

If you like your car, keep it. Fixing things on a car you like to drive and is comfortable is much cheaper than a new car. The new car is only new for a few months. Then you start the cycle again.

Your 2006 LS will easily go another 100k.

Now, if you have $10 million+ in the bank, go buy a new LS 500 and sell the LS 430 to someone on this board. :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do i need to get a new lexus