LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Happiness is

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-18, 06:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Happiness is

Not opening your hood for 3 weeks (way too cold), and finding that when you do, everything is good....oil, power steering, coolant, um brake fluid is visibly under max but the brakes have gone 21k since it was full, normal imho.....

snow tires are at 35 (I deliberately went a little above 33 so when it's 20F it would be about 34, a little higher)....

I'm coming right up on 101k, this thing has so much life left.....
Old 01-20-18, 07:13 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

EAgles 24 Vikings 0
Old 01-20-18, 07:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by warminwisc
EAgles 24 Vikings 0
haha thanks, but the NFL already tweeted Patriots / Vikings, can you believe that? What a slip up.....it took them 3 days to delete it....
Old 01-20-18, 08:08 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
EAgles 24 Vikings 0
YES! It would be 'funny' for the Eagles to win, and add insult to injury, and play the big game at Viking's stadium! lol

On a side note, 11 years ago I signed up for Eagles season tickets. I called customer service at the beginning of this season and they said I was customer number 8,xxx in the waiting line, and that I'd "probably" be a season ticket holder by the 2020 season.

$orry to hijack thi$ thread, but happine$$ i$ being an Eagle$ $ea$on ticket holder and re$elling the ticket$ for a hand$ome profit.
Old 01-20-18, 10:08 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I called it as Pats/Vikings when the Packers fell flat on their faces back in December.

Oh, 48 degrees here at O'Hare today.... So, yeah Happiness....
Old 01-22-18, 11:52 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

......the Eagles winning the Super Bowl!
Old 01-22-18, 12:02 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Folks seem to be very hopeful, rematch of 13 years ago! Looking for a different outcome this time...
Old 01-22-18, 02:54 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Not opening your hood for 3 weeks (way too cold), and finding that when you do, everything is good....oil, power steering, coolant, um brake fluid is visibly under max but the brakes have gone 21k since it was full, normal imho.....

snow tires are at 35 (I deliberately went a little above 33 so when it's 20F it would be about 34, a little higher)....

Never thought of a 101,000 mile LS430 as being a garage queen to cherish. But I'm sure it's all relative. Enjoy your Lexus.. I do...
Old 01-22-18, 10:57 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Happiness is banging a set of tyres off on the burnout pad without kicking the rods or dumping all the coolant out
Old 01-23-18, 12:36 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

That's standard Toyota operating procedure, at least for me. Even for my 2004 Tacoma with 187k on it, check tire pressure, check oil/fluids every other gas fill up, clean, always on the full mark, change every 5000. Same thing with the 1992 SC300. Same thing with my old beat to pieces 1993 Toyota truck with 170k on it. All of them ran like a top, never used oil, never used coolant, keep an eye on things and they are rock solid reliable.

Only thing I've noticed with my Toyotas is they are bad about developing corrosion on the battery terminals, you really need to keep an eye on that, cause it can lead to a no-start. Had that happen on my old junky 1993 pickup at work. Went back in and bought a Coke out of the vending machine, poured it on the corroded battery terminal. The carbon dioxide bubbles in the coke eat battery acid, truck started after that little trick. If you don't want a sticky mess, use club soda, same trick with the carbon dioxide bubbles dissolving corrosion on the battery terminal.
Old 01-23-18, 04:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
That's standard Toyota operating procedure, at least for me. Even for my 2004 Tacoma with 187k on it, check tire pressure, check oil/fluids every other gas fill up, clean, always on the full mark, change every 5000. Same thing with the 1992 SC300. Same thing with my old beat to pieces 1993 Toyota truck with 170k on it. All of them ran like a top, never used oil, never used coolant, keep an eye on things and they are rock solid reliable.

Only thing I've noticed with my Toyotas is they are bad about developing corrosion on the battery terminals, you really need to keep an eye on that, cause it can lead to a no-start. Had that happen on my old junky 1993 pickup at work. Went back in and bought a Coke out of the vending machine, poured it on the corroded battery terminal. The carbon dioxide bubbles in the coke eat battery acid, truck started after that little trick. If you don't want a sticky mess, use club soda, same trick with the carbon dioxide bubbles dissolving corrosion on the battery terminal.
On the battery, I put those felt rings on, and also sprayed with some red Permatex battery protector. The only thing I noticed was the negative was loose even when tightening all the way down, and I attempted to reshape it, and seems to be ok (but in the back of my mind I don't want to touch it now). What is interesting, is that the hold down has clearly been corroded and lost its paint, where it goes between the two large battery caps. I was careful to replace the plastic sleeve, don't know for sure, but my uncle thinks that my Maxima not having it, allowed battery gases to corrode the front fender (how come on the left where the battery sits, and the right is mint?)....
Old 01-23-18, 06:54 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by Aron9000

Not to bust your "bubbles" (pun intended ), but the carbon dioxide gas isn't dissolving the corrosion. It's the phosphoric acid in the liquid that does the "cleaning". The bubbles make it appear as if the bubbles are doing the "work", but they're simply moving the corrosion that's freed/dislodged by the phosphoric acid, to the top of those bubbles. The bubbles do act like an agitator though. Same concept when cleaning a bumper or chrome item with soda. It's the acid that's cleaning the chrome, not the carbon dioxide gas/bubbles.
Old 01-24-18, 09:50 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Not to bust your "bubbles" (pun intended ), but the carbon dioxide gas isn't dissolving the corrosion. It's the phosphoric acid in the liquid that does the "cleaning". The bubbles make it appear as if the bubbles are doing the "work", but they're simply moving the corrosion that's freed/dislodged by the phosphoric acid, to the top of those bubbles. The bubbles do act like an agitator though. Same concept when cleaning a bumper or chrome item with soda. It's the acid that's cleaning the chrome, not the carbon dioxide gas/bubbles.
Thanks for the chemistry lesson there Mr White. So I guess my recommending club soda to clean battery corrosion is bad advice. Club soda has sodium bicarbonate, sodium citrate, potassium sulfate, and disodium phosphate in it, but no phosphoric acid in it.

Also I remember an early episode of Mythbusters about cleaning chrome with Coke. Coke worked better on an old junkyard truck bumper than a commercially available chrome cleaning product, which blew my mind. Keep in mind that was like 10 to 14 years ago, the state of California might have banned that cleaner they were using at that time.
Old 01-25-18, 05:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

My dad always used baking soda. That is a funny thing. In B school, one of the greatest ad campaigns that I can remember today, was the one telling you to go and buy a box, put it in your fridge, then, POUR IT DOWN THE DRAIN, and buy another box. Imagine telling your customers to pour your product down the drain, then go buy some more. The genius of Saatchi & Saatchi.

Today I find most ads to be silly, especially for the pharma industry. Many, of the GEICO ads seem pretty clever. With such a bad product, they should be! lol
Old 01-25-18, 08:32 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Baking soda is the best solution. It will neutralize the acid. Add to water and pour on the terminals and/or dunk the connectors in the solution.

Quick Reply: Happiness is