Ls 430 consuming too much fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 05:04 AM
Safeer69
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ls 430 consuming too much fuel

Hi guys, i own a ls 430 of the year 2002,
Recently while driving i faced an accelration problem, whenever i pressed the accelerator the car didn't accelerate as it should and it would give me a petrol smell. With that i noticed my petrol guage is decreasing really fast. My range approx decreased 2 km on every half km.
I showed my car to the garage and he cleaned all its fuel filters, catalic, but nothing changed, after that he changed the knock sensors which worked with the acceleration, however my car is consuming the same amount of petrol.
Please can anyone help me with this problem because i cannot pay everything in the gas or to the mechanic.
The following users liked this post:
0011 (11-15-21)
Old 01-15-18, 05:12 AM
Safeer69
Driver School Candidate

Default Ls 430 consuming too much fuel

Recently while driving i faced an accelration problem, whenever i pressed the accelerator the car didn't accelerate as it should and it would give me a petrol smell. With that i noticed my petrol guage is decreasing really fast. My range approx decreased 2 km on every half km.
I showed my car to the garage and he cleaned all its fuel filters, catalic, but nothing changed, after that he changed the knock sensors which worked with the acceleration, however my car is consuming the same amount of petrol.
Please can anyone help me with this problem because i cannot pay everything in the gas or to the mechanic.
Old 01-15-18, 05:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

What kind of consumption are you seeing, and under what conditions? I have the same commute, day in, day out, but the variable is bumper to bumper traffic. Given enough days, my car averages around 19.x. But I have filled up along the way home, and reached home (15 miles) and have seen 14 mpgs. I am not concerned with what the range displays simply because the car is not able to predict the future....the other test is to get on the highway, reach approx 65 mph if it's safe to do so, set the cruise, reset the computer, and see what mpgs the car achieved say 30 miles down the road, maybe 50. My car, it would be expected that 28.x would display...my .02
Old 01-15-18, 06:39 AM
Safeer69
Driver School Candidate

It's a 8 cylinder sedan so it's obvious that it might consume much more petrol in the city. but it gives a good mileage on highway ( for me it used to give). if you ask me about the average mileage, it's about 18-19 mpg city and highway combined. (i suppose this is really bad)
P.S i noticed something while driving on long routes, my car consumes more fuel for about 20 km and then consumes normal for the next 10 km.. my speed being constant overall.

Last edited by Safeer69; 01-15-18 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-15-18, 06:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

It would seem your mpgs are low....one other thing that I notice, is the avg mph is also a barometer of how the mpgs might pan out....my avg mph is around 24. This implies that I never for the most part get to drive at highway speeds. When I took a long 500 mi. trip to CT last year, the avg mph was over 50, even after I had driven in the suburbs for a while. I just checked my phone as I have an app that tracks refuels/mpgs.....I filled at 26.48 mpg (if I had no suburban driving and had refueled exiting the highway it would have likely been 28+), and then driving in the suburbs and going all the way back to NJ before refueling, I got 22 mpg over 18 gals. (massive hit from suburban driving) imho these are real world numbers....in my scenario I could see 14.5 as all stop and go on my way home, but doubtful I would ever see 11-12....
Old 01-15-18, 06:56 AM
Safeer69
Driver School Candidate

Ahaan! i wish to attain that mph and i'll be happy... I'm guessing the problem is with the oxygen sensors or my gear. as there is no problem with the spark plugs, fuel filters, catalyc sensor, knock sensor. 18-19 mpg is pretty bad, empties my wallet everytime i go out.. Does the timing belt has to do anything with this???
Old 01-15-18, 06:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't think timing belt would affect mpgs, I would think with the timing belt the fear is having it break or the water pump or idlers seizing, etc., but if not, then the motor would run fine. I've also always heard it's ok to drive with a bad knock sensor as long as you use the correct fuel, in this case premium, but one should not drive with bad o2 sensors as that could lead to more problems....did you check the obvious, the air filter? Although after 1 year, mine was very visibly dirty, and I did not see a dip in mpgs, nor any improvement with a new one....
Old 01-15-18, 07:08 AM
Safeer69
Driver School Candidate

ohh yeah sorry i didn't mention but i also cleaned the air filter. i don't know what's wrong now ... i don't know if i should spend more money and change the oxygen sensors or not. this is getting me broke
Old 01-15-18, 07:19 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Safeer69
I assume you live in US. Your problem reminds me of old good times when, while living in other countries, I would bring my Nissan to local auto shop where they knew how to fix these type of issues. And it’s not even complicated - they will start analyzing exhaust gases with a tool, then they would check all gaskets on exhaust parts, they would measure the resistance of gases, they would take all injectors outfrom the car and put them in ultraviolet bath so thoroughly clean them using this technology, then they would cleaner throttle body and intake after taking them out, than they would inspect fuel rail and connectors to ensure proper resistance, then inspect codes and verify sensors (by the way oxygen sensor will immediately generate code if it operates even slightly out of Normal range), then they would install new air and fuel (!) filters, and reinstall freshly newly cleaned injectors.If someone here in US can do the same as above, most possibly your problem will be correctly diagnosed and resolved.
The following 2 users liked this post by ls430w140:
Parrokeete (02-03-22), Safeer69 (01-15-18)
Old 01-15-18, 07:33 AM
Safeer69
Driver School Candidate

i wish there was someone who would do all this,
but most of this is done as i already mentioned, i would ask them to do a computer checkup again and let's see what the diagnosis say..
by the way what do you mean by oxygen sensor will immediately generate code.. what kind of code? please can you explain?
Old 01-15-18, 07:42 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

i wish there was someone who would do all this,
but most of this is done as i already mentioned, i would ask them to do a computer checkup again and let's see what the diagnosis say..
by the way what do you mean by oxygen sensor will immediately generate code.. what kind of code? please can you explain?
I was referring to an electronic error code generated by onboard computer. The code for a sensor would be shown once you connect the scanner to the port.

Lets assume you would like to blame oxygen sensor for the issues you have. Do you see check engine light? The reason for it to appear will be that, for example, there is no such a thing as oxygen sensor working on 50% of its efficiency. It is either working or not. I cannot recommend to replace it if you dont have a specific error code.
The following users liked this post:
Safeer69 (01-15-18)
Old 01-15-18, 07:51 AM
Safeer69
Driver School Candidate

no after changing the knock sensors the check engine light has disappeared... so i guess the oxygen sensors is not the problem after what you told ! But this FUEL ECONOMY! ughh!!! can it be the problem of the gear?? because when there was this acceleration problem the gear didn't shift properly, not everytime but you can say 2 3 times out of 10 .... for instance it would shift the gears perfectly untill the last gear... then i would put it to 4 and D sometimes this would fix it...
Old 01-15-18, 01:30 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Have they checked the maf sensor as well as the o2 sensors? Did they take the backseat out and check the fuel filter attached to the pump?
Old 01-15-18, 01:59 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

I would clean the MAF sensor to help with the mileage. If you smell raw fuel you have a leak someplace and need to get it fixed.
Old 01-15-18, 04:35 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Smelling fuel under the hood - bad mileage
Had a problem with that on my old 735i. No visible leak but strong fuel smell. Turned out to be a pinhole in the fuel supply line

Quick Reply: Ls 430 consuming too much fuel