LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Aftermarket door speaker options

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 12:49 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Aftermarket door speaker options

Ok so the door speakers in my 2000 ML are pretty much shot to hell, and to add to that, when I pulled the driver's front door card off this morning, that door speaker isn't even there, not even the plastic mounting bracket is there. Its not a Mark Levinson system, so what door speakers would you recommend for me? Sizes, types and brands will be appreciated. And no I won't be installing Mark Levinson audio because that stuff is non-existent here.

I also had the volume wound up to full the other night and either I'm deaf as a post or this Lexus system isn't particularly loud. But it could be down to the missing door speaker though
Old 01-14-18, 01:10 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootymad
Ok so the door speakers in my 2000 ML are pretty much shot to hell, and to add to that, when I pulled the driver's front door card off this morning, that door speaker isn't even there, not even the plastic mounting bracket is there. Its not a Mark Levinson system, so what door speakers would you recommend for me? Sizes, types and brands will be appreciated. And no I won't be installing Mark Levinson audio because that stuff is non-existent here.

I also had the volume wound up to full the other night and either I'm deaf as a post or this Lexus system isn't particularly loud. But it could be down to the missing door speaker though
Sounds like your ml amp is on its way out man, the stock speakers are 8ohm so if they put speakers that were not 8ohm in then it would slowly fry the amp in my opinion. Do you have a celsior? If so i have a full beatsonic kit for your car brand new i would let go for $250 plus shipping and paypal fees. The beatsonic kit is awsome it allows you to install an aftermarket headunit with an aftermarket amp so you can install whatever speakers you would like.

8ohm speakers are really hard to come by i think lanzar and skar audio make some but they are super low grade in my opinion the speaker size is 6.5 i think, and the woofer is 8 inch.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 01-14-18 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 02:42 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Scootymad, I will try to help you even though I do see some confusing information in your post

1) You mentioned that you have 2000 ML, i believe you referred to Modern Luxury package and not Mark Levinson. Modern Luxury package usually includes Mark Levinson system.

2) When you said "its not a Mark Levinson system", did you refer to the specific speaker or audio system?

3) Lexus and Celsiors are equipped with either "Standard audio system" (aka Lexus Premium Audio) or "Mark Levinson system". Both systems are built using high quality materials and equipment. Moreover, engineers were able to deliver balanced audio performance to the driver, front passenger and rear passengers.

4) After 10 years, any stereo speaker will show signs of failure. Overall, sound levels drop but are quickly restored once you install correct replacements.

5) Stock speakers are not (!) necessarily 8 ohms. Once you confirm what model and package you have, you may know what is the name of your audio system. If it is Mark Levinson, then you are looking for 8 Ohm Front door speakers, and 8 Ohm Rear door speakers. If it is not Mark Levinson, then you are dealing with Standard audio system which includes Pioneer equipment that is set up for 2 Ohm in the Front and 4 Ohm in the Rear.

6) You may decide to use aftermarket speakers that may higher impedance. Going to 8ohm from 2 ohm will not (!) kill your amplifier. However, if you install speakers of much lower impedance than required, then your amplifier will overheat and will cost you a lot of money to replace or fix.

7) Eminence Eminator 1506 speakers is a good choice. You do not need to change your headunit for these.

Let me know if you need info on headunit or subwoofer.
Old 01-14-18, 08:53 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Ok so to clear this up. It is a Modern Luxury package that wasn't optioned with Mark Levinson audio (head unit and everything), everything else about the car says it is an ML package. Infact it is only air suspension and Mark Levinson/satnav away from being a UL. JDM market cars were different to the US spec cars, and it is not a Celsior either. It is branded as the Lexus Premium Audio package on the head unit. The subwoofer is working perfectly fine, as well as the dash mounted tweeters, just the door speakers are shot or missing entirely

Unfortunately the only Eminence speakers available that is local to me are for musicians. If pioneer are the OEM supplier I might have a look around with them, but the last lot of Pioneers I bought were a little bit average. I can get DC Audio and Digital Designs locally however
Old 01-14-18, 09:15 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Ok so to clear this up. It is a Modern Luxury package that wasn't optioned with Mark Levinson audio (head unit and everything), everything else about the car says it is an ML package. Infact it is only air suspension and Mark Levinson/satnav away from being a UL. JDM market cars were different to the US spec cars, and it is not a Celsior either. It is branded as the Lexus Premium Audio package on the head unit. The subwoofer is working perfectly fine, as well as the dash mounted tweeters, just the door speakers are shot or missing entirely

Unfortunately the only Eminence speakers available that is local to me are for musicians. If pioneer are the OEM supplier I might have a look around with them, but the last lot of Pioneers I bought were a little bit average. I can get DC Audio and Digital Designs locally however
You have a base model ls430 then its not modern luxery, custom luxery, or ultra luxery its a base model with the pioneer system in it. Modern, custom and ultra luxery versions all came with mark levinson and nav unit standered custom had a rear sunshade modern had the head la.p washers and ultra had air suspension these are quick ways to tell them apart. If the car is jdm then it is a toyota celsior.

Do you have headlamp washers, laser cruise control, or a rear sunshade?

Also can you post a picture of your dash and headunit so mayne if you have something different we can see what it is?

Last edited by 05ls430518; 01-14-18 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 09:57 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Its got the sunshade, rear centre console controls for radio, climate and seats, its got the cooler in the rear centre console, heated and cooled (and in the case of my driver's seat, horribly vibrating and tearing itself apart) front seats, headlight washers, but no adaptive cruise control, and if it isn't JDM, I'm buggered if I know where its from, because its certainly not NZ new. Singapore perhaps? But I'm pretty sure we didn't start importing from Singapore until only recently (past 5 years or so, and this thing has been here since 2005). Its hard to know because it was put through our local Toyota Signature Class program, which basically erases any trace of an imported car's origins.

Bit hard to tell from the pictures, but its just the Lexus Premium Audio head unit. Complete with tape player. They're old photos and I haven't got access to a photo capable device currently, and the bumper does not look like that anymore.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket door speaker options-img_0176.jpg   Aftermarket door speaker options-img_0184.jpg   Aftermarket door speaker options-img_0187.jpg  
Old 01-14-18, 10:02 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Its got the sunshade, rear centre console controls for radio, climate and seats, its got the cooler in the rear centre console, heated and cooled (and in the case of my driver's seat, horribly vibrating and tearing itself apart) front seats, headlight washers, but no adaptive cruise control, and if it isn't JDM, I'm buggered if I know where its from, because its certainly not NZ new. Singapore perhaps? But I'm pretty sure we didn't start importing from Singapore until only recently (past 5 years or so, and this thing has been here since 2005). Its hard to know because it was put through our local Toyota Signature Class program, which basically erases any trace of an imported car's origins.

Bit hard to tell from the pictures, but its just the Lexus Premium Audio head unit. Complete with tape player. They're old photos and I haven't got access to a photo capable device currently, and the bumper does not look like that anymore.
Dude that is the craziest thing ever i have not seen an ls430 like that before that is a first for me so like......what the hell is it called a modern luxery??? I am floored right now man thats insane its just missing the nav ml and air suspension for it to be a us spec ultra luxery.

Also did you mess with the gauge needles on the dash they look red.

I would post a new thread asking for help to identify your car honestly or call lexus with the vin and see what its called.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 01-14-18 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 10:10 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Nope, the tacho is stock as a rock. The needles are indeed bright f-ing red. Like I said its close to being a UL. I'm glad it isn't because the satnav wouldn't work here and the airbags are detrimental to what I'm building the car for.

We get the weird cars here
Old 01-14-18, 10:32 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Nope, the tacho is stock as a rock. The needles are indeed bright f-ing red. Like I said its close to being a UL. I'm glad it isn't because the satnav wouldn't work here and the airbags are detrimental to what I'm building the car for.

We get the weird cars here
Yah i would say so thats really odd i am really curious to know what your car qualifies as now lol.
Old 01-15-18, 11:56 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Lexus LS430's differ in different parts of the world. Seems Lexus configures them to the needs (or legal requirements) of the individual country they are exporting them to. They also give them different model names.
Old 01-18-18, 05:11 PM
enflyte
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, red is an unusual color for the gauge cluster? Is that specific to a certain year?
Old 01-18-18, 08:28 PM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by enflyte
So, red is an unusual color for the gauge cluster? Is that specific to a certain year?
Nah, needles are red for pre-facelift '01~'03 UCF30's.
Old 01-19-18, 09:09 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Mobius1
Nah, needles are red for pre-facelift '01~'03 UCF30's.
Yup... My 2001 needles are Red and my 2005 are white.
Old 01-19-18, 01:17 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

In the US LS430s that do not have ML branded amps and speakers (actually manufactured by Harman Kardon) are fitted with Pioneer brand amp and speakers. You can check your amp located in the trunk for brand - most likely a Pioneer but who knows given car was not a US import. Search the forum for speaker replacement and you should be able to find the specs for Pioneer speakers.