LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Who's LS is Most Beat Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-18, 09:51 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Who's LS is Most Beat Up

I have lost a exhaust tip and exhaust pipe is bent from betting hit on the corner of the bumper. I have a scratch on the right reart corner from hitting my kids car, a scratch on front quarter from when I bought it and darn my wife was right the bumper was too close to the auto garage door and have some scuffs on the bumper.

I thinks thats it.
Old 01-06-18, 09:52 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Stu ya made me think of this post when I read about ya t boning a truck and scrapin yur bumper
Old 01-06-18, 10:48 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

my car is NO garage queen and although it was very nice when I got it that was 5 years ago. I have a large scratch on passenger side from an incounter with a tumble weed when the road was too icy to swerve and avoid it. I still cannot believe that a tumble weed can scratch like that. My windshield is original, but the pitting is quite bad. The front is badly dinged from rock chipping, one even pierce the metal. I try to wash and wax often, but the clear coat on the hood roof and trunk is mostly gone. Inside is almost perfect as I have purchased 3 sets of floor mats and do keep it nice. I would really like some information on cleaning the seatbelt as I get quite dirty at work and my seatbelt is very dirty.
Old 01-06-18, 11:19 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
my car is NO garage queen and although it was very nice when I got it that was 5 years ago. I have a large scratch on passenger side from an incounter with a tumble weed when the road was too icy to swerve and avoid it. I still cannot believe that a tumble weed can scratch like that. My windshield is original, but the pitting is quite bad. The front is badly dinged from rock chipping, one even pierce the metal. I try to wash and wax often, but the clear coat on the hood roof and trunk is mostly gone. Inside is almost perfect as I have purchased 3 sets of floor mats and do keep it nice. I would really like some information on cleaning the seatbelt as I get quite dirty at work and my seatbelt is very dirty.
Use purple power and a scrub brush that's what I use on really stained filthy cars when I do detailing.
Old 01-06-18, 03:27 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

You can clean the seat belts by pulling them out as far as you can, secure in place with a clamp, and then dip the seatbelt in a bucket of water with oxyclean. Leave it in the cleaning water for 30 minutes of so. You might find that you need to use a brush a bit if it's heavily stained on the edges.
Old 01-06-18, 04:05 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

If its grease, dont hesitate to take a first cut with brake cleaner, MAF cleaner or lacquer thinner.

Grease = Solvents
Sugar = soap an water
Stains = laundry products, etc...

In all cases, test somewhere and use white cotton to absorb loose grease, stains, and heavy dirt to pull it from the fabric.

/thread return...
Old 01-06-18, 06:20 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

My hood and the area around the grill is really taking a beating with the freeway commute everyday. Lots of little chips and abrasions from all the debris on the road. A few scratches on the rear bumper and the top of the rear bumper is severely faded. Like down to the primer in a few places...
Old 01-07-18, 11:02 AM
TheTiRider
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine might be in the running. It was given to us by my father in law before Christmas when he bought a LS460. It drives and runs beautifully but has it's faults -

Exterior - somewhere in it's previous life it received a cheap respray (Maaco, Earl Scheib quality). The paint on the trunk lid is starting to oxidize. The paint also has swirl marks from a quickie buff job. There are a few scratches and parking lot wounds along the sides of car. Lots of wax buildup around the emblems and panel gaps. I plan on buffing the trunk out and giving it a full detail this spring. It looks good from about 15 feet away and I must say there something very liberating about not having to worry about keeping it pristine (like not having to worry about running it through the local automated car wash).

Engine - it has a severely leaking passenger's side valve cover gasket. I got the parts, pulled off the plastic engine cover, but then something else took priority (wheel bearing). I'll get back to it soon. I talked to the guy my father in law bought the car from. He's a family friend. He was confident the timing belt was changed at 100K (it's now at 154K) but had no proof. I'm going to have it changed this spring as a precaution. Other than those few things it runs silky smooth and does not throw a single code.

Drivetrain/Suspension - two weeks after we got the car the passeneger's side wheel bearing started to growl. I bought a Moog replacement from my local auto parts store and put it in. I plan on changing the fluid and filter in the transmission (it's currently cherry red on the dipstick).

Interior - the tilt/telescope doesn't work. The steering wheel is set at nearly the perfect position so I'm debating whether to try to replace the motors. The horn works intermittently. I've ordered a new clock spring. When I was vacuuming out the interior after first getting the car I tried to get the dirt/dust out of the shifter slide cover area it shattered. Another order and I've got it's replacement. The passenger seat has a small tear in the seat bottom (I've already priced having my local upholstery shop repair it). Magic Eraser really did work magic on the interior door handles. The foam is gone in most of (if not all) the speakers. I've debated upgrading the sound system with better speakers, a new subwoofer, and one of those inexpensive Chinese bluetooth stereo's with built in GPS and backup camera (now I'm leaning toward just replacing the speakers). The steering wheel's wood is covered in hundreds of cracks and it's leather is severely worn. We only got the master key so I bought a replacement to have cut and programmed.

I'm slowly going to whittle this list down. The car will never be a concours level example but as a comfortable commuter it's perfect.

Last edited by TheTiRider; 01-07-18 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-07-18, 06:28 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Stu ya made me think of this post when I read about ya t boning a truck and scrapin yur bumper
lol. I will post a picture for you when its not -2 degrees F ( - 30 degrees C ) outside.
Old 01-07-18, 06:56 PM
Jkallinen
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Think the deal I bought last January would fit this spot well. Great deal on a 2002 LS430 ML. Interior is mint. exterior has a few blemishes
and rusty bubble popping out the passenger front door. Looks like maybe a door lock over heat since the window above it has burn scar.
Take a look.
Old 01-13-18, 05:53 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

decided to try the oxyclean on my dirty seatbelt. there was 3 kinds of oxyclean powder, liquid and pods(5 total) and I went with the versitle powder. I pulled the belt out as far as possible and wrapped in a old rag before clamping. most of the dirty part was able to be immersed in a bucket placed on top of another bucket. I allowed it to soak for about 2 hours and used a brush on the part that was not in the bucket. rinsed in bucket of clean water and let dry. It is much cleaner, belt is still damp so I will know more after it completely dries. thanks jay
Old 01-14-18, 05:57 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
decided to try the oxyclean on my dirty seatbelt. there was 3 kinds of oxyclean powder, liquid and pods(5 total) and I went with the versitle powder. I pulled the belt out as far as possible and wrapped in a old rag before clamping. most of the dirty part was able to be immersed in a bucket placed on top of another bucket. I allowed it to soak for about 2 hours and used a brush on the part that was not in the bucket. rinsed in bucket of clean water and let dry. It is much cleaner, belt is still damp so I will know more after it completely dries. thanks jay
I really need to clean mine. I tried to keep everything in the best shape cleaning it all the time but thats the one thing I haven't tackled is the seatbelts.
Old 01-14-18, 06:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

When these cars get really cheap, say $5,000, and likely to be beat up, I wonder if that would present good value? Buy it, don't even put collision or comp, and probably drive around a long time? People buy S500's for low prices and sometimes get a couple years and don't bother fixing what's wrong....
Old 01-14-18, 11:10 AM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine is a bit rough. Not as rough as it used to be but still not flash. It had bad peeling paint on both bumpers, had a big hole in the left wing mirror and a nasty rust bubble in the door as a result. It still has hefty stone chipping on the bonnet and the rest of it is in dire need of a cut and polish, which I really cannot be bothered doing. The interior needs a bit of work as well, needs a driver's door card and seat heater assembly. The viscous LSD needs rebuilding, the trans needs servicing, the motor needs both rocker cover gaskets done, a timing belt and serpentine belt, and 2 new hood struts. All at 140,000 miles