LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Clean sonar? huh

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-18, 03:12 PM
markwhit
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clean sonar? huh

Noticed this today. I know she needs a bath but too cold I went over the rear sensors with my finger to clean them but still see the message. Will it go off eventually or do you have to reset something?
Attached Thumbnails Clean sonar? huh-sensor-error.jpg  
Old 01-01-18, 03:37 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by markwhit
Noticed this today. I know she needs a bath but too cold I went over the rear sensors with my finger to clean them but still see the message. Will it go off eventually or do you have to reset something?
Unless 1 of your sonar sensors are damaged, it should clear the fault by itself. The fronts are usually the culprit because they face all the rocks, pebbles, etc, that get kicked up and into the bumper as you're cruising forward. The rears typically stay trouble free, unless as we've said, snow or ice temporarity builds up on them. When the obstruction clears, so should your sensor fault. You also have a "clean sonar" notice, which is different from a sonar "fault". Make sure all your sensors are clean and hopefully it stops the 'clean' notice..

An interesting factoid----there is no generic/chinese knockoff that I know of. If you have a damaged/faulty one, they are about $212 each.

As a last ditch effort if the fault doesn't clear once your baby is washed up and clean, you can try gently sanding down the problematic circular sonar pad, the touching it up with your proper paint color. I've done that to 1 of my front bumper sonar sensors and cleared the fault successfully, even though there was no obstruction.

If all else fails and you're at wits receiving the alarm when you're in stop and go traffic, you can simply shut the entire system off (front and back) via the dashboard switch that has the letter P on it, above your left knee.
Old 01-01-18, 03:45 PM
markwhit
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Unless 1 of your sonar sensors are damaged, it should clear the fault by itself. The fronts are usually the culprit because they face all the rocks, pebbles, etc, that get kicked up and into the bumper as you're cruising forward. The rears typically stay trouble free, unless as we've said, snow or ice temporarity builds up on them. When the obstruction clears, so should your sensor fault. You also have a "clean sonar" notice, which is different from a sonar "fault". Make sure all your sensors are clean and hopefully it stops the 'clean' notice..

An interesting factoid----there is no generic/chinese knockoff that I know of. If you have a damaged/faulty one, they are about $212 each.

As a last ditch effort if the fault doesn't clear once your baby is washed up and clean, you can try gently sanding down the problematic circular sonar pad, the touching it up with your proper paint color. I've done that to 1 of my front bumper sonar sensors and cleared the fault successfully, even though there was no obstruction.

If all else fails and you're at wits receiving the alarm when you're in stop and go traffic, you can simply shut the entire system off (front and back) via the dashboard switch that has the letter P on it, above your left knee.
Thanks for reply! The weather has turned so cold all a sudden that might be part of the issue too. Who knows. My passenger seat stopped reclining last time it turned cold but then started working again so she doesnt like the cold weather thats for sure. Neither do I.
Old 01-01-18, 06:13 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by markwhit
Thanks for reply! The weather has turned so cold all a sudden that might be part of the issue too. Who knows. My passenger seat stopped reclining last time it turned cold but then started working again so she doesnt like the cold weather thats for sure. Neither do I.
I agree with you! Cold is subjective and relative, as you type from Georgia, lol. It's going to be 10deg F tonight and 7deg F Thursday night!!! I hear squeeks & rattles when it's this cold too, when normally she's virtually rattle/squeek free. Today my driver's side window went down slowwwwly, and up slightly more slowwwwwwly. It's really crazy how the temperature affects the normally tireless LS.