LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Help Please - Conversion to LED Headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-17, 05:54 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Help Please - Conversion to LED Headlamps

I have a 2002 LS430. I would like to replace my low beam, high beam, and driving lights to LED's. Can I please get some input on what to buy and where. I have seen some info on the internet that doesn't exactly match up, and I don't want to order something that doesn't work. Lastly, can I change the bulbs myself?

Thanks in advance for any help...I greatly appreciate it
Old 12-29-17, 09:17 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I have a 2002 LS430. I would like to replace my low beam, high beam, and driving lights to LED's. Can I please get some input on what to buy and where. I have seen some info on the internet that doesn't exactly match up, and I don't want to order something that doesn't work. Lastly, can I change the bulbs myself?

Thanks in advance for any help...I greatly appreciate it

DO NOT change your low beams to led's you will be blinding everyone and possibly get pulled over and get a ticket.
The best thing you can do is do an hid retro fit with projector lenses.
Old 12-29-17, 07:42 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default LED lights

You will actually see better with HID lights

PS: how did you make out with the suspension conversion?
Old 12-29-17, 08:19 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/projector-kits/retrofit-kits-universal.html

That is the page the universal hid retro fit kits it comes with everything you need to retrofit your headlights with projectors and install a hid kit.

Hid's project light farther than led's, leds are floodlights and only puddle light in front of you.
Old 12-31-17, 02:33 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Suspension...well....

Originally Posted by semar
You will actually see better with HID lights

PS: how did you make out with the suspension conversion?
Suspension is one of those...good and bad. I definitely made the wrong choice by going with that kit. I should have done coil overs instead. The ride and handling are both great. It handles more like a BMW, which I like. The right is smooth but firm....good road feel. BUT...the height of the coils is too high (probably a good inch), so the car looks sort of stupid. I will eventually go to coil overs, but I just haven't had time to take care of it. I forgot which ones I like, and they make a set with a liquid cap that dampens pot holes, etc. regardless of height setting. However, they haven't come out with one for the LS yet, but they told me that they are. I may wait on that. The back end doesn't look bad, but the front of the car looks a little high.

I am still ticked at Lexus for not taking care of the air struts that were already failing in warranty. The dealer did finally get rid of the service writer that killed that deal for me (if you recall the woman from Lexus was ready to take care of it until he refused to tell her that was the cause of my problem.
Old 12-31-17, 02:35 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Do HID's have thatnew white light look?

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/projector-kits/retrofit-kits-universal.html

That is the page the universal hid retro fit kits it comes with everything you need to retrofit your headlights with projectors and install a hid kit.

Hid's project light farther than led's, leds are floodlights and only puddle light in front of you.
I am asking about LED's, because I want that clean white light that now comes with newer cars. Can I just put LED's on the daytime running lights that have that yellow look? Or is that an HID light as well?
Old 12-31-17, 04:46 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

I am asking about LED's, because I want that clean white light that now comes with newer cars. Can I just put LED's on the daytime running lights that have that yellow look? Or is that an HID light as well?
You can get that clean white look with hid's you should not put anything except halogen bulbs in your stock housing you can get projectors and put led's in those but you would still need to do an retrofit
Old 12-31-17, 04:47 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

By the way I have bc coilovers in my car and I would highly recommend them get them with the swift springs it will make a huge difference.
The following users liked this post:
mafpolo (01-01-18)
Old 12-31-17, 08:47 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

@5
keep the Bilsteins in consideration
It provided a nice drop, perfect stance, super ride. Feels now like an ugraded bimmer
mafpolo (01-01-18)
Old 12-31-17, 09:07 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by semar
@5
keep the Bilsteins in consideration
It provided a nice drop, perfect stance, super ride. Feels now like an ugraded bimmer
To be honest man the bc's really make the car feel like a different animal it feels very sporty and the car goes were I want it to. I have chassis braces and larger sway bars I am gonna install which I am super excited to feel the difference.
Old 01-01-18, 06:43 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default The Ride

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
To be honest man the bc's really make the car feel like a different animal it feels very sporty and the car goes were I want it to. I have chassis braces and larger sway bars I am gonna install which I am super excited to feel the difference.
That's how my car is riding now...like the 7 series used to before BMW softened it up. The LS goes where I want it to, and feels more like a sports sedan. The shocks and struts are made by the OEM, but the kit manufacturer must have failed to specify the correct height. When I first called them, they told me that the kit was "the exact same as OEM." When I called the coil manufacturer, customer service said, "Yes, we do manufacture coils for Lexus, and we did manufacture the coils for the LS430, but just because it's our coils on your car does not mean it is the same coil that came on a Lexus LS430. Lexus orders theirs from us, and your kit people ordered what they did. It's a pity, because if the height was right, I'd be happy and posting about it.
Old 01-01-18, 06:48 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

That's how my car is riding now...like the 7 series used to before BMW softened it up. The LS goes where I want it to, and feels more like a sports sedan. The shocks and struts are made by the OEM, but the kit manufacturer must have failed to specify the correct height. When I first called them, they told me that the kit was "the exact same as OEM." When I called the coil manufacturer, customer service said, "Yes, we do manufacture coils for Lexus, and we did manufacture the coils for the LS430, but just because it's our coils on your car does not mean it is the same coil that came on a Lexus LS430. Lexus orders theirs from us, and your kit people ordered what they did. It's a pity, because if the height was right, I'd be happy and posting about it.
Yah that's the problem man that's why I had my coilovers custom made by bc so the valving springs etc matched up perfect.
Old 01-01-18, 07:32 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Can I put HID's in my running lights?

Does somebody make a HID replacement running light (without any reflectors/projector) just to get rid of that yellow looking dull light? Basically just a HID conversion bulb replacement?

Somebody mentioned that if you put LED's for low beams, just aim the headlights lower, as they will still project further than stock, but not shine into the eyes of oncoming traffic.
Old 01-01-18, 08:03 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Does somebody make a HID replacement running light (without any reflectors/projector) just to get rid of that yellow looking dull light? Basically just a HID conversion bulb replacement?

Somebody mentioned that if you put LED's for low beams, just aim the headlights lower, as they will still project further than stock, but not shine into the eyes of oncoming traffic.
The LS430 Daytime Running Light, or the "yellow looking dull light" as you mentioned, is generated by sending reduced power (6VDC) to the high-beam headlight bulbs. The HID or LED replacement for the high-beam will work on full power (high-beam on) but will not likely to work on half power as DRL. You can turn off the DRL function with TechStream if you decide to move forward with HID or LED high-beam.

PearlUni05 (01-08-18)
Old 01-01-18, 09:01 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Makes Sense

Originally Posted by rkw77080
The LS430 Daytime Running Light, or the "yellow looking dull light" as you mentioned, is generated by sending reduced power (6VDC) to the high-beam headlight bulbs. The HID or LED replacement for the high-beam will work on full power (high-beam on) but will not likely to work on half power as DRL. You can turn off the DRL function with TechStream if you decide to move forward with HID or LED high-beam.

So that's why the LED's on the running lights blind oncoming traffic...because they run at full power. I wonder if there is just a "white" bulb that eliminates the yellow look on those daytime running lights. Will HID take care of that problem....6 vdc until I turn on the brights?

Quick Reply: Help Please - Conversion to LED Headlamps