LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Opinions - 06 LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-17, 07:12 AM
dstewart
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Opinions - 06 LS 430

Hi, I am new to this board but not to Club Lexus as my wife has a GX. I'm looking hard for a clean 430.

I've got a good friend who runs a car dealership and can get me an 06 LS 430 with 122k miles at his cost which is 11,900. It's not local so I haven't seen it yet but it looks like it's immaculate and the maintenance history looks pretty good. It does have the CL package with dynamic laser cruise control.

Would like opinions from the gurus on this price. I'm in NC if that matters. Also, I've been looking at several pre '04 430s with similar miles for a few thousand $ less. Thoughts on if a few years newer is worth the extra $ if similar mileage?

Thanks!
-Hopeful LS430 owner
Old 11-22-17, 07:20 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

04-06 is worth the few extra thousands that the 01-03.
What is the color combo and do you like it?

At 11,900 I think it’s a fair price. Not a steal or a real bargain, just fair.
Old 11-22-17, 07:26 AM
dstewart
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick reply. It's silver with the light tan/cream interior. My first choice would be dark gray or black exterior but I'm OK with silver. Not my favorite but not the worst. I'm not in a hurry to purchase but have been told that these are relatively hard to find. And I'm very particular about my cars so I want to know it's been regularly serviced, clean ext and int and been in the south.
Old 11-22-17, 07:35 AM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just be careful not end up with a flood car. Inspect connectors in the engine bay and check for corrosion. Good luck.
Old 11-22-17, 07:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I am always leery of when someone says "cost." I would expect a trade-in to be significantly less than $10k. $11,900 retail maybe, but the mileage is not low either. Another thing is cars of our age, often don't have accidents appearing on Carfax to boot. My motto is if it smells like pumpkin spice, it probably is. And I don't like pumpkin spice.
Old 11-22-17, 08:26 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

i also think the price is fair,After all is said listen to your gut.It usually is right.
Old 11-22-17, 10:44 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

If it has proof of the timing belt service and if it doesn't need tires, then that may be a fair price. There are certainly better bargains out there, or examples with lower miles if that is important to you.
Old 11-22-17, 12:40 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

There is a huge difference in quality of these cars now primarily because of their age and how they were maintained and driven. A truly well maintained and garage kept LS430 will run and look almost like new. But by now a lot of LS430s have been trashed by previous owners, not well maintained, parked outside in harsh elements, and have signs of significant wear and tear on exterior and interior.

Prices are going to vary a lot based on condition given the nature of this car and I personally think it pays to be patient and get a cream puff (even with high miles) if you can find one.
Old 11-23-17, 08:49 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Buy an 04-06. It's worth the extra money. You get the updated styling. 6 speed trans has overdrive so gas mileage is a little better. Can manually shift. Different midrange gear ratios so acceleration feels stronger.
Old 11-24-17, 07:21 AM
PearlUni05
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 04-06 is is worth the few bucks extra in my opinion. If it is the CL package I would say the same as others have said. Do a thorough research, make sure it is not a flood car, check it out thoroughly and you can find common problems on this forum, look for them on the car. These years have some good revamped options. After all that go with your gut feeling, which should not steer you wrong. Good luck!
Old 12-02-17, 05:56 AM
dstewart
Driver School Candidate

Been awhile since I've logged on so wanted to say thanks for all the great feedback. I'm definitely limiting my search to 04-06 now. Haven't pulled the trigger on the 06 mainly because I've been told it's not as clean as it looks and the price is just fair. I'm in no rush so the search continues. Got my eye on another already! Will update and post pics if I find something. Thanks again, this is a really great forum!
Old 12-02-17, 06:42 PM
dstewart
Driver School Candidate

Went and test drove another 06 with 120k miles today. Overall pretty clean car inside and out and my preferred color. Premium package with smart access, no nav, looks to have new tires. Think I can get it for $8500 which seems like a great deal.

Has lots of Maintenance records including routine oil changes, timing belt at 73k miles and steering fluid once. Doesn't call out anything more specific than that but has always been serviced at lexus. Should I be concerned that more detailed service records aren't available? I called lexus and they have no record of the water pump being done.
Old 12-02-17, 07:15 PM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dstewart,
I PM'd you.
NC356
Old 12-02-17, 07:20 PM
PearlUni05
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a good deal. Keep in mind the drivetrain on these cars can go forever once maintained. Having all service records is a plus, so you would just continue with the regular maintenance. Timing belt and water pump goes hand in hand, typically those are done as a package so I wouldn't worry about the water pump. I wouldn't worry about detailed records as most of the regular maintenance is simply checking over things on the car. Most importantly the major things were done, oil changes and timing belt. I would look into getting the plugs replaced(if needed), trans flush, and checking the filters and looking at the control arm bushings for wear/cracks. Other than that you may have found what you were searching for.
Old 12-04-17, 10:56 AM
onthelo
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dstewart
Went and test drove another 06 with 120k miles today. Overall pretty clean car inside and out and my preferred color. Premium package with smart access, no nav, looks to have new tires. Think I can get it for $8500 which seems like a great deal.

Has lots of Maintenance records including routine oil changes, timing belt at 73k miles and steering fluid once. Doesn't call out anything more specific than that but has always been serviced at lexus. Should I be concerned that more detailed service records aren't available? I called lexus and they have no record of the water pump being done.
If you can't prove the timing belt was done )decal on the intake with date noted or dealership record or third part record) I wouldn't trust anyone if they just say it was done. That is key and it does cost a bit depending where you live. Here in Cali you can expect to pay upwards of $1500 for TB/WP. If they have service records of oil changes that's good too at least you know it was maintained well. Like when I purchased mine, since the original owner had the services performed at a Lexus dealer they released all the records to me (summary of the date and what was done) so I was able to see all the way back to the delivery date and even when the car went in for change stuck in the console lol. Either way if you feel good about it and it drives nice and smooth prob a good car but all cars will need some things replaced and maintained regardless off how well or the age of the vehicle. I kept in mind when I was looking the age of the car, they are hard to find clean, original owner, service records, etc. but if you search diligently they are out there or as some mentioned a cream puff with slightly higher mileage. I waited and opted for the lower mileage LS and paid a bit more because I have a long commute all highway and figured if I purchased something over 150k miles in a year it would be toast lol Good luck on your continued search !

Quick Reply: Opinions - 06 LS 430