LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

On the fence! CL or Premium? Most reliable choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 10:41 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Default On the fence! CL or Premium? Most reliable choice

I am looking at a custom luxury with 113k (Cypress pearl on cashmere) and a premium package with 103k (Cypress pearl on Ash)

My delema currently: Are the dual pane windows, MK amp, GPS screen breaking or deteriorating really worth it? I drove the CL tonight in the rain and can't say if it made a huge difference honestly. What's the percentage improvement over single pane? 5%-10%.
Old 11-17-17, 03:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

If it were me, I would go for a CL, with aniline seats and leather dash. Why? Because these expensive options back in 2005, are free today. They add zero to the selling price.

I've had a ML for almost 14 mos. and have not experienced the GPS screen breaking or Levinson amp breaking, so if it were me, I wouldn't worry about it. Get the car that is in better shape....there are so many of these cars for sale that imho the buyer is in the driver's seat. In the general population, nobody wants an 8 cyl car today (we feel ok with 19-20 mpg but the rest of the world is getting 26-28 in the CITY) so get exactly what you want....let me live vicariously through you and see that CL in your driveway!
Old 11-17-17, 06:45 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I would also vote CL. You get almost everything that an ultra luxury has minus the back seat controls and the air suspension that will need to be replaced at some point if it hasn't already. Power door closers and extra leather are a nice feature to have. The fit and finish is really great.
Old 11-17-17, 07:02 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd vote for the CL if it's an occasional drive. All the bells and whistles w/o the potential suspension problems. I'd love to drive an LS w/ dual panes, power close, etc. I own an ML. I've enjoyed the bells and whistles but I don't drive it much.

I'd vote for the Premium if it's a daily driver. Fewer potential expensive repairs. Also the stereo/navigation can be easily be upgraded to state of the art (for a fraction of the cost of rebuilding the ML and adding a Grom Vline)

Good luck. If well maintained (the key to buying to a 430) they're both good cars for different reasons.
Old 11-17-17, 07:08 PM
Atomsplitr
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Get the CL!
Old 11-17-17, 08:28 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I will put in the biased vote since I have a Premium and love it. I'd always go for the Premium option model on an LS430 purchase as most of the extra options above Premium are all pretty superfluous (and some like the ML audio system are unreliable junk) and it means a lot more little but expensive stuff to malfunction and wear out over time. But others have different perspectives on this so do the research and make your own choice.
Old 11-17-17, 10:11 PM
PearlUni05
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had my CL (moonlight pearl/saddle) for about 3 months now. I absolutely love it and and happy with my purchase. I didn't realize I had easy power close doors until the next day I discovered it by accident. I would vote for the CL. It has all the amenities of the UL minus a couple that IMHO is not a big deal but to those who has them, they love it. I didn't realize it also came with dual pane windows until reading this thread. Now is that true for all LS 430's or for certain trim packages?
Old 11-17-17, 10:18 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

From what I've researched the mark Levinson amp is crap, the GPS head unit breaks, the dual pane windows seal break over time. The only option I'd care about is a quieter cabin with dual pane windows.

I've read countless on bmw and merc forums with stories of people swapping from dual pane to single pane due to window glazing. Id probably get better results adding more sound dampening.

Dual pane glass: $500+
GPS repair: $400+
Mk amp $300+

Overall the custom luxury is a money pit in my opinion and the Premium is the best option for daily commuting. The older it gets, the worse these problems will become on the LS. The best route is to go Premium and just upgrade amp and speakers or install a aux port.
Old 11-17-17, 10:30 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PearlUni05
I have had my CL (moonlight pearl/saddle) for about 3 months now. I absolutely love it and and happy with my purchase. I didn't realize I had easy power close doors until the next day I discovered it by accident. I would vote for the CL. It has all the amenities of the UL minus a couple that IMHO is not a big deal but to those who has them, they love it. I didn't realize it also came with dual pane windows until reading this thread. Now is that true for all LS 430's or for certain trim packages?
Only of Custom Luxury and Ultra luxury
Old 11-17-17, 10:35 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

Also every LS I've driven "8 so far" have all had the driver seat right side stiff foam issue that requires a seat reupholstery..
Old 11-17-17, 10:38 PM
PearlUni05
Driver

Oh ok. Still learning about this car every time I come onto this forum. Yes I think eventually overtime that may be the case in all of them if not well kept.
Old 11-19-17, 05:33 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Hifiman1
From what I've researched the mark Levinson amp is crap, the GPS head unit breaks, the dual pane windows seal break over time. The only option I'd care about is a quieter cabin with dual pane windows.

I've read countless on bmw and merc forums with stories of people swapping from dual pane to single pane due to window glazing. Id probably get better results adding more sound dampening.

Dual pane glass: $500+
GPS repair: $400+
Mk amp $300+

Overall the custom luxury is a money pit in my opinion and the Premium is the best option for daily commuting. The older it gets, the worse these problems will become on the LS. The best route is to go Premium and just upgrade amp and speakers or install a aux port.
I haven't read very many cases of the GPS issue or the duel pane glass. ML amp issue yes but I rarely hear about the glass or GPS issue. Not to say more won't occur as the cars are getting older but this forum is not flooded with glass or GPS issues yet.
Old 11-19-17, 05:37 PM
PearlUni05
Driver

@LS430FL....I agree. I have read of amp issues and very minute amount of GPS problems. I have not read or heard of any dual glass pane seal problems. Maybe from another manufacturer but not so much Lexus. Over time it can happen, but I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor in you purchasing what you want/like.
Old 11-19-17, 07:20 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

There are a few people on here who have had dual pane window issues in the past. Resulting in a window being replaced as the patching starts to grow inside the window panels. I also read over on the bmw and mercedes forums of people having issues with their windows as the cars age. Some people even do a window swap from dual pane to single pane, much like how people with the Ultra luxury swap air suspension for spring or coils once one fails.
Old 11-19-17, 07:25 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

My choice is going to be premium trim for the best experience and cost savings. I find the gps unit to look ugly and outdated on such a car.

Quick Reply: On the fence! CL or Premium? Most reliable choice