LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Which one to choose between 2004 with 60k? and 2005 120k

Old 11-15-17, 07:25 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Which one to choose between 2004 with 60k? and 2005 120k

Finally I am in the market for LS 430 but I am torn between the following two choices: (1) 2004 Premium Package (no navigation but it has Smart Access) with 60k miles ($13,000) (2) 2005 Custom Luxury (with navigation and ML) with 120k miles ($9,000). I have no color preference. There is no Carfax info available from both (private) sellers but I was told that they both were first or second owners with a good maintenance record. Which one would be better? Of course, I need to check maintenance history and will need to test drive this week but do you think the first choice, 13 yrs old, worth $4000? This will be my daily transportation (60 miles/day) and my wife likes to have backup camera and navi as she may need to drive sometime. My concern with navi is reliability. I see from this forum that it may break and to repair remains expensive as it gets older. If I go with the first one, do you think I would miss benefits of full options including ML, navi and blutooth, etc.? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-15-17, 07:35 PM
NL5
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

That's more of a personal decision. Nav isn't very upgradable if that's a deal breaker. Personally, I would go with the CL. You can always add aftermarket Nav to it, you can't upgrade the base to get all the CL goodies. Plus, the base is over priced in my opinion.
Old 11-15-17, 07:46 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by NL5
That's more of a personal decision. Nav isn't very upgradable if that's a deal breaker. Personally, I would go with the CL. You can always add aftermarket Nav to it, you can't upgrade the base to get all the CL goodies. Plus, the base is over priced in my opinion.
Speaking of NAV. I ignore one on the vehicle. I use Nuvi free life time upgrade model when I need NAV. Lot easier to handle, gets update annually free.
Old 11-15-17, 07:48 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd buy the CL. Cl's are rare to begin with, and the 04 is overpriced
Old 11-16-17, 05:09 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If I was driving 60 mies a day I would get the one with 60k miles if I planned on keeping it to 200k and selling it then(thats how I drive em). Havin had both premium with smart access(without is rare) and my current ML I think the premium stereo is decent getting the ML stereo is not at all a deal breaker. The nav is poor compared to my I phone which I cannot get to link up to my ML bluetooth. Backup camera is definitely functional but resolution is only fair but it is 13 years old and uncommon back them. The controls on the Premium for air stereo trip computer are fine not a deal breaker at all to miss the screen besides the camera. I agree 04 with 60k miles is overpriced show the seller some internet pricing, NADA Kelly etc.

How long has guy been selling the 04 for? CAn U add a backup camera and bluetooth reasonably (I dont know)
The following users liked this post:
asc2000 (11-16-17)
Old 11-16-17, 05:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I'd buy the CL. Cl's are rare to begin with, and the 04 is overpriced
I agree, personally I would love to have a car that had the headlight washers, and aniline dash. I would like to have the laminated side glass. No NAV is a deal breaker for me, not because I use the NAV, but I'd rather have those controls and at least the ML package. I would not want UL so if I saw headlight washers, I would make sure the rear armrest doesn't have all those controls of a UL, and no fridge in the trunk (why waste the nice trunk space). $13k in a private party sale is way over imho even if it were a 2006 with 40k lol

If these cars run 200k with ease, and 300k maybe, imho people should not overpay just because a car has 40, 50, 60k miles. What does it matter? Realistically, how many miles do you want to get out of a LS430? Say because the car only had 40k, you're able to personally drive it 260k, when the other would have only gone 180k, see what I mean? You may not even come close to going 80k, so what does it matter....
asc2000 (11-16-17)
Old 11-16-17, 05:42 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

The DVD player based NAV is laughably clunky and completely obsolete in the LS430s. I am biased since I own a premium model but I'd personally try hard to find a premium model with no NAV. Given the age of these cars I'd avoid the NAV and NAV screen equipped cars at this point due to long term reliability concerns but I plan on keeping my car for a long time.

I'd go for the 2004 but offer less for it. Pull the old head unit and add a nice modern head unit with apple air play or something similar and you are good to go.

Also check service history for timing belt replacement, at this point any LS you are looking at should have had the timing belt and water pump replaced regardless of miles on the car.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 11-16-17 at 05:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jabberwock:
asc2000 (11-16-17), tallcaguy (04-26-18)
Old 11-16-17, 05:58 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

If you commute, the laminated glass in the CL would be more quiet. You can add BT adapter and use current technology for NAV and get turn by turn through Mark Levinson speakers.

Timing belt is a given to check, but the price difference is not worth a few less mileage with how these cars run almost forever with proper care.
Old 11-16-17, 06:44 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I think the washers are a gimmick? Anilaine dash OK but again not a deal breaker for me and door closers I have never had a problem with door seals but the closers can be repair prone. My LS is pretty quiet so laminated glass though I have never driven in one is no deal breaker but yes it must be beneficial but I have seen posts of the lamination delaminating.
Having said all that drivetrain and suspension would be my priority if I am on a budget as I assume the buyer is in this price range. Wheel bearings 600 a pop at a dealer, spring sag like I have might develop, bushings while rubber ages any way the mileage adds to wear for sure.

Then on a budget to get 60 k less miles even though the drivetrains are bulletproof is nothing to ignore.

Lets talk resale if ya put on 60 k miles(roughly 60 miles a day plus weekend jaunts) in 3 years with 180k no one will really care if its a CL and there will be poor resale value and my experience is it will be hard to sell.
A premium LS with upgraded head unit as Jab mentions, ya get a Bluetooth adapter as mentioned and maybe a backup camera(this all depensds on how much it costs) U will carry a 3k better resale value for sure IMO and it will sell better than the one with 180k on it. Just my opinion the CL is another good opinion. Cheers back to work, ha!
asc2000 (11-16-17)
Old 11-16-17, 06:55 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

A few less miles in my book is like 20k, 60 k less miles can be a lot less to miss and be misled on in accident reports, maintenance reports surprises. Ya get to do tranny fluid, brake fluid, p steering fluid you know this has all been changed at 60 k.
Old 11-16-17, 08:51 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

THE '05 CL will be a fine choice if the TB and WP services were done around the 90K mark. The '04 is over priced. You can address a lot of things on the '05 with the $4K delta.....
asc2000 (11-16-17)
Old 11-16-17, 10:23 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I think the washers are a gimmick? Anilaine dash OK but again not a deal breaker for me and door closers I have never had a problem with door seals but the closers can be repair prone. My LS is pretty quiet so laminated glass though I have never driven in one is no deal breaker but yes it must be beneficial but I have seen posts of the lamination delaminating.
Having said all that drivetrain and suspension would be my priority if I am on a budget as I assume the buyer is in this price range. Wheel bearings 600 a pop at a dealer, spring sag like I have might develop, bushings while rubber ages any way the mileage adds to wear for sure.

Then on a budget to get 60 k less miles even though the drivetrains are bulletproof is nothing to ignore.

Lets talk resale if ya put on 60 k miles(roughly 60 miles a day plus weekend jaunts) in 3 years with 180k no one will really care if its a CL and there will be poor resale value and my experience is it will be hard to sell.
A premium LS with upgraded head unit as Jab mentions, ya get a Bluetooth adapter as mentioned and maybe a backup camera(this all depensds on how much it costs) U will carry a 3k better resale value for sure IMO and it will sell better than the one with 180k on it. Just my opinion the CL is another good opinion. Cheers back to work, ha!
I agree the washers are a gimmick, the reason I want them is they are a hint it's a CL or a UL, and I would like a CL myself (very unlikely I will ever get another LS430, no space, not sensible (insurance, taking the cash out of the bank/other uses for it), the one I have has only 99k, no end of life anytime in the next decade) so as Mick once sang, you can't always get what you want. But if I were on the sidelines, I'd want a CL with aniline dash. Soft close doors I think double the replacement cost of the actuators, so it's also not desirable but what can one do...they come along for the ride. I'd like the nicer leather and unique color, and the glass....

edit p.s. as proof the washers are a gimmick, I have them on my BMW and have never consciously used them in 11 years--I have manually turned off the lights, in order to clean the glass without them actuating the headlight washers. They dump what seems to be a huge amount of fluid, and who needs that at $2/gal (last year would have been more than gasoline itself)....

Last edited by Johnhav430; 11-16-17 at 10:27 AM.
asc2000 (11-16-17)
Old 11-16-17, 10:36 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

There is is really no wrong answer. Me I am a utilitarian guy if they drive the same I just don't want em to break and don't want to loose a lot of cash in the process. NADA is $12,862 for 04 4 grand premium for the mileage. 05 with Nav ML stereo is $11,625 1250 premium for mileage. Even these seem high trade and trade in is high on nada.

I would do 11,250 on 04 or keep looking I drive 90 miles RT to work.
Old 11-16-17, 10:38 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Those are very clean retail $ sorry
Old 11-16-17, 01:46 PM
unagijimbo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NL5
Depending on one's technical ability, the Grom vline makes the nav in my 05 as good as any of the newer cars I have tried. Having Waze and CarPlay connected to the factory system are nothing short of a miracle in a 12 year old car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which one to choose between 2004 with 60k? and 2005 120k