LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ran over big heavy duty propeller fan

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-17, 05:12 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Ran over big heavy duty propeller fan

This morning as i was driving in the middle lane on i-75 north bound between sarasota & bradenton FL...There was a big object in my lane which seemed like some sort of Fan blade, i then looked at my rear view & side view mirrors to see if i can switch lanes and unfortunately cars on both sides right on my bumper. To avoid collision with another vehicle i had no choice but to run over the object (Propeller fan) and it got stuck underneath the car...As car passed on my right, i immediately pulled over on the right shoulder safely. As i got out of the car to take a look, from what it seemed like Transmission Fluid leaked out completely within seconds as it was reddish in color.

Car seemed to have sustained heavy damage underneath the car...Hood cracked open from the impact but i can't get it to lift and open.
Unsure of what else got damaged...2005 Ultra Luxury with PCS (Flint Mica over Ecru), Absolutely the best car i've owned...Car currently has 176k miles but it has been really trouble free and has been well cared for.

I called up my insurance company to report this incident, they put it down as not at fault and asked where would i like to get the car towed at and requested them to get the car towed at Lexus dealer.

Last edited by Salil022; 11-10-17 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-10-17, 08:21 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

afraid your car will be total loss.
Old 11-10-17, 09:05 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Ouch sorry to hear that man. I had something similar happen to me but not as bad, there was something in the left lane I hit going about 75, I couldn't go around it. It pretty much destroyed the bumper on my BMW, fortunately I didn't have any other damage but it cost me $1k because I didn't want to go thru insurance. I always see random stuff falling off peoples trucks here. My mom had a mattress fall on her car one day on the windshield and it was around a turn and she couldn't see. The people didn't even ask if she was ok, they went to get the mattress out of the road that fell on her car and left.
Old 11-10-17, 09:53 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
afraid your car will be total loss.
Dude that doesn't look like anywhere near a total loss. I don't know why the hood is popped in those photos, but look at the gap between the headlight and bumper, its perfect. I'm betting the radiator was damaged, Toyota uses red coolant, maybe that's why the OP thought it was transmission fluid. It could have been transmission fluid though if the object hit the transmission cooler. But once again, if he pulled over right away and shut the car off, I'm sure the engine/transmission is fine. You can fix that bumper cover with a bit of filler and repaint it, looks like a pretty easy job, but even that is just a cosmetic issue the OP doesn't have to fix. I'm betting a new radiator and this car is back on the road.
Old 11-10-17, 11:28 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Dude that doesn't look like anywhere near a total loss. I don't know why the hood is popped in those photos, but look at the gap between the headlight and bumper, its perfect. I'm betting the radiator was damaged, Toyota uses red coolant, maybe that's why the OP thought it was transmission fluid. It could have been transmission fluid though if the object hit the transmission cooler. But once again, if he pulled over right away and shut the car off, I'm sure the engine/transmission is fine. You can fix that bumper cover with a bit of filler and repaint it, looks like a pretty easy job, but even that is just a cosmetic issue the OP doesn't have to fix. I'm betting a new radiator and this car is back on the road.
its definitely trans fluid, assuming transmission pan and some internals are damaged...apart from bumper, radiator is all pushed up and bent from what I could see through bumper lower grill/fin area.

Should know Monday on what the damages are.
Old 11-11-17, 03:54 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

The ATF cooler is located at the bottom of the radiator, and appeared to have punctured. The fan assembly behind the radiator very likely suffered damage as well.

The hood is latched to a cross-member (circled in green). Judging by your description that the hood cannot be lifted, the cross-member likely to be bend.

Your A/C refrigerant lines run in front of the radiator and likely to be damaged as well.

Last edited by rkw77080; 11-11-17 at 03:59 AM.
Old 11-11-17, 04:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

This stuff kills me and I wish the folks who lose things on the roadway could be held responsible. On the Platt Bridge, I ran over a shovel head with my BMW (which has little clearance). When I got home I immediately jacked it up, and found only a puncture through the plastic underbody, a little to the left and back from the driver's feet. It could have been worse.

I got curious at the time about how insurance would handle assuming it was comp, like hitting a deer or having a branch fall on the car, but no, my understanding is that it's collision (running over an object on the road), and anytime there is a collision claim it is held against? Though I could be wrong as no claim was filed.

I also wonder, with a dash cam, it would clearly be established that it is not the fault of the driver--my only question is how insurance handles and what can sway them to not hold it against the policy holder. I mean I've even heard upon 2nd homeowner's claim, policyholder is dropped at times....good luck.

p.s. please report your findings and hope you're back on the road soon
Old 11-11-17, 09:25 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
This stuff kills me and I wish the folks who lose things on the roadway could be held responsible. On the Platt Bridge, I ran over a shovel head with my BMW (which has little clearance). When I got home I immediately jacked it up, and found only a puncture through the plastic underbody, a little to the left and back from the driver's feet. It could have been worse.

I got curious at the time about how insurance would handle assuming it was comp, like hitting a deer or having a branch fall on the car, but no, my understanding is that it's collision (running over an object on the road), and anytime there is a collision claim it is held against? Though I could be wrong as no claim was filed.

I also wonder, with a dash cam, it would clearly be established that it is not the fault of the driver--my only question is how insurance handles and what can sway them to not hold it against the policy holder. I mean I've even heard upon 2nd homeowner's claim, policyholder is dropped at times....good luck.

Sure...I'll update this thread once i hear back from the dealer and adjuster.
Old 11-11-17, 10:06 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Wow. Sorry to see this happened. Looking forward to hearing what they find and what the diagnosi$ is...
Old 11-11-17, 01:35 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

That's enough to make this grown man cry. Were the chains attached to that thing? I'm thinking that you should be able to get the car repaired.

I see that you list your location as Delaware. Are you visiting or do you live down there during the winter? It's bad enough when crap like this happens close to home but far worse when you're away. I hope things work out for you...
Old 11-11-17, 02:55 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gronemus
That's enough to make this grown man cry. Were the chains attached to that thing? I'm thinking that you should be able to get the car repaired.

I see that you list your location as Delaware. Are you visiting or do you live down there during the winter? It's bad enough when crap like this happens close to home but far worse when you're away. I hope things work out for you...
Thanks...i no longer live in Delaware and wasn't too far from home luckily and lexus dealer was nice enough to provide me loaner right away until adjuster comes out and assess the damage.
Not sure if trans internals got damaged, but i am sure if dealer have to replace the transmission it wouldn't be cheap.
Old 11-11-17, 10:55 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

Agreed, I ran over a gallon can of white house paint in my SC doing 75mph on the interstate. I was very lucky that it didn't really damage the car, it did put a little bit of a dent on that black plastic piece that is under the front bumper, but you can't see it unless you crawl under the car. This car had been undercoated with ziebart or some sort of black undercoating when new, its hilarious now when you look under the car, that white paint just exploded under the whole length of the car just past the engine oil pan, the white paint is EVERYWHERE underneath the car now lol. I must have spent a good hour or two scrubbing white paint off the rear wheels, off the rear wheel mud flaps/fender wells, off the rear bumper, tailpipes, and tail lights.
Old 11-13-17, 11:17 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Agreed, I ran over a gallon can of white house paint in my SC doing 75mph on the interstate. I was very lucky that it didn't really damage the car, it did put a little bit of a dent on that black plastic piece that is under the front bumper, but you can't see it unless you crawl under the car. This car had been undercoated with ziebart or some sort of black undercoating when new, its hilarious now when you look under the car, that white paint just exploded under the whole length of the car just past the engine oil pan, the white paint is EVERYWHERE underneath the car now lol. I must have spent a good hour or two scrubbing white paint off the rear wheels, off the rear wheel mud flaps/fender wells, off the rear bumper, tailpipes, and tail lights.
Heard back from Adjuster...Radiator, transmission lines, fans, AC Condenser, Bumper cover & radiator support is what seems to be damaged.
Geico wants to install used or Aftermarket parts and don't want to pay for it to get repaired at lexus....Seriously? I've been with these guys 10+ years and first time making a claim.
Old 11-13-17, 11:21 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Well that sucks. This is what we're up against driving and maintaining 11+ year old cars...

Ticks me off when People ask what year my 2005 is and they follow up by saying, "Oh... That's old!"

Friggin car is like new, inside and out...
Old 11-13-17, 11:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Salil022
Heard back from Adjuster...Radiator, transmission lines, fans, AC Condenser, Bumper cover & radiator support is what seems to be damaged.
Geico wants to install used or Aftermarket parts and don't want to pay for it to get repaired at lexus....Seriously? I've been with these guys 10+ years and first time making a claim.
Sorry to hear, BUT, it does sound like your car will be back on the road, so that's good.

That's why I call them the lizard co. I know it's not a lizard, but I call it that. The only accident I've had since ever, was in 2010 when I had a fender bender with a 2011 BMW loaner car. I was on the hook for my deductible, and had the lizard co. I felt bad but business is business, thank goodness it wasn't my car. Anyway, on the estimate, each item stated aftermarket, on a car with < 5,000 miles. Also, to justify aftermarket, the adjustor hand wrote what salvage yard stated used was not available, and what number and time/date he called (pathetic and I'm sure he made it all up). I argued with them for 40 min. to get an OE windshield on my own car, cracked in driver's view, they wanted to repair it? lol then that nutty nationwide co. out of Columbus, and thankfully the gal caved in after 40 min and had an attitude said ok to Saint Gobain Sekurit with BMW logo. No thanks to that lizard but good luck....

Quick Reply: Ran over big heavy duty propeller fan