LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ran over big heavy duty propeller fan

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-17, 07:48 AM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
It's now in your best interest to do your homework. Find out what comparable vehicles are worth. Go to Edmunds.com, NADA, KBB. Look up what similar cars are selling for on cars.com, etc. Ask them how they arrived at their offer. When my car was totaled 2 years ago my insurance gave me a fair settlement based on what I would have had to pay at a dealer.

Do you have any receipts for any recent upgrades or service? New tires? Can you prove that the car was meticulously maintained? Show them some examples of ultra high mileage LS's and tell them that's what you were aiming at.

Good luck...
Exactly what I told him. To replace the car, you are gonna search the Internet to find one. Search, and show the results to your insurance adjuster. His job is to offer you the least money. If you will take $5, he'll very much appreciate it.
Again; Go to nada.com, kbb.com, and put in your car's details, and print the results. Search cars.com, AutoTrader.com and everything else, and see what they are going for. And tell your insurance thats what it's gonna take to replace the car. How hard is that for you to do?

Or sit back and relax. Take whatever they offer you, buy a Dodge Neon and call it a day!
Old 11-24-17, 07:12 AM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are handy with basic tools....

I have "bought back" two "totaled" rigs of mine. One car and a motorcycle that were under a collapsed (snow load) car port. (both ran fine)

I worked the deal exactly as those above recommended proving the value of the machines. Then, with their check in hand, I asked a simple question, how much to buy them both back so you guys do not have to tow them away?A bright smile from the adjuster and then he said...let me take a look. One minute later he looked up and gave me a price. We negotiated just a bit more and I had their money and both my rides. ABSOLUTELY legal arrangement.

Do you know what some of the parts on your car are worth on Ebay? Working Levinson amp.. $400 easy. Center rear seat console....priceless? Refer box? etc.etc.

Just an idea to put in the process. Sorry you are having to go through any of it but when, as the saying goes, as life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Good luck,
Doug k
Old 11-24-17, 09:34 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Salil022
Thanks i'll certainly push them for more, Let's see how they play.
They can't use a low mileage transmission from a donor car, but for other parts they can?

Sounds like a soapy insurance company.

Each dollar is like one of their precious children.

Why grovel for a scrap from the paymaster?

This is no "Let's Make A Deal"

Engage your lawyer to write a demand letter.

Have Counsel also speak to Lexus as to their complicity in agreeing to used parts, when new are available.

Save for the transmission, all items you described are affordably replaced with new parts.

Counsel should also inform illustrious insurance carrier that in addition to your insurance claim there will be your Attorneys fees for bad faith dealings.

Position yourself to lead amd not follow.

Them you are no longer just a number in the stack of claims.

Let the stupid claims adjuster explain to her boss the breakdown in negotiations.

All she cares about is jer annual review and your filing a lawsuit will interfere with that.

Perhaps a dose of real.world reality vs online perspective will cure her attitude real quick.

If necessary, hail the insurance company into court via a small claims complaint which you could even file yourself...request a jury demand (way more expensive to defend) to prevent the cozy insurance company lawyer from scmoozing the judge ....and to help the insurance company understand their role here is to fix your car, and not make you suffer the consequences of the repair.

Last edited by YODAONE; 11-24-17 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-24-17, 10:24 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

And how much does your lawyer cost vs just taking what they agree to???? I mean if we are talking an extra 1-2k on an insurance payout, you really need to evaluate how much sicking your lawyer on the insurance company is going cost.

Sticking your lawyer to an insurance company should be a last resort after negotiations have broke down. And honestly for a car worth maybe $10,000 tops, it isn't worth getting a lawyer involved unless they are just being complete bastards and offering you something like 5-6k for your car and will not negotiate. I mean sicking your lawyer on an insurance company makes sense in some cases, especially those where you are injured, because those types of bills can be in the 6 figures.
Old 11-25-17, 10:50 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aron9000
And how much does your lawyer cost vs just taking what they agree to???? I mean if we are talking an extra 1-2k on an insurance payout, you really need to evaluate how much sicking your lawyer on the insurance company is going cost.

Sticking your lawyer to an insurance company should be a last resort after negotiations have broke down. And honestly for a car worth maybe $10,000 tops, it isn't worth getting a lawyer involved unless they are just being complete bastards and offering you something like 5-6k for your car and will not negotiate. I mean sicking your lawyer on an insurance company makes sense in some cases, especially those where you are injured, because those types of bills can be in the 6 figures.
Not everyone is familiar with the legal system, but it is something the insurance companies wish to avoid.
Also, if the adjuster is not reasonable, then mentioning you have an Attorney and,or, filing a legal.action will require her to turn the matter over to the legal.department.
Filing a Small Claims complaint does not require a lawyer if you are reasonably able to present your case.
This forum (arguably) exists so that members, some of which are avid do- it-yourselfers can interface to solve repair issues.
Here a Geico Claims Adjuster is challenged to do her job and is aytempting to close the file without repairing the car purportedly due to a transmission that it available used.
As Lexus owners, we should all.take note that Geico may not be an insurance company of choice.

You may have to sue to protect your rights here.

But by doing nothing or changing tact you are stuck where you are at.

These are 300,000.-500,000 mile cars (the engine) and insurers need to stop treating them as equal to Chevy or Ford.
Old 11-25-17, 11:00 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aron9000

Not everyone is familiar with the legal system, but it is something the insurance companies wish to avoid.

Also, if the adjuster is not reasonable, or continues to shirk her responsibilities, then an introductory letter from an Attorney and,or, filing a legal.action will require her to turn the matter over to the legal.department.

Filing a Small Claims complaint does not require a lawyer if you are reasonably able to present your case and requisite evidence.

This forum (arguably) exists so that members, some of which are avid do- it-yourselfers, can interface to solve repair issues.

Here a Geico Claims Adjuster is challenged to do her job and is attempting to close the file without repairing the car purportedly due to a transmission that is available used.

As Lexus owners, we should all.take note that Geico may not be an insurance company of first choice.

You may have to sue to protect your rights under your policy.

But by doing nothing or changing tact you are stuck where you are.

These are 300,000.-500,000 mile cars (the engine) and insurers need to stop treating them as Chevy or Ford.
The following users liked this post:
2KHarrier (11-29-17)
Old 11-28-17, 07:18 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Adjuster states 05 LS430 with 176k miles isn't worth more than $10k, Although KBB Retail value states somewhere between $10.5k - $12k...He said they can't go by KBB blah blah and have to go by what dealers would sell a similar car for.

If i were to put replace transmission, should i go for reman trans from Lexus for $3k or source a low mileage trans from Salvage yard and have decent trans shop install it?
Old 11-29-17, 06:27 AM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Adjuster states 05 LS430 with 176k miles isn't worth more than $10k, Although KBB Retail value states somewhere between $10.5k - $12k...He said they can't go by KBB blah blah and have to go by what dealers would sell a similar car for.<br /><br />If i were to put replace transmission, should i go for reman trans from Lexus for $3k or source a low mileage trans from Salvage yard and have decent trans shop install it?
And YOU know what dealers are asking for because you searched and found actual cars on the Internet being sold by dealers, right? And printed those advertisements to show your adjuster? This forum cannot do everything for you, you know!
Old 11-29-17, 06:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Adjuster states 05 LS430 with 176k miles isn't worth more than $10k, Although KBB Retail value states somewhere between $10.5k - $12k...He said they can't go by KBB blah blah and have to go by what dealers would sell a similar car for.

If i were to put replace transmission, should i go for reman trans from Lexus for $3k or source a low mileage trans from Salvage yard and have decent trans shop install it?
My cousin pulled in with a 200k CR-V making a howling sound, and had my Japanese indie look it over. They said their recommendation was to drive it as-is, it may last years with that sound. Otherwise, they would recommend putting in a used tranny, which may total $2k-$2.5k, not worth it in their eyes. However, if my cousin were to go that route, they would look for one with about 60k miles, which would be difficult on a '05.

If you could get a remanuf for 3k, that sounds reasonable. I am simply assuming that $2k used for a CR-V, vs. $3k remanuf for a LS430, the latter is a better deal...
Old 11-29-17, 08:05 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
My cousin pulled in with a 200k CR-V making a howling sound, and had my Japanese indie look it over. They said their recommendation was to drive it as-is, it may last years with that sound. Otherwise, they would recommend putting in a used tranny, which may total $2k-$2.5k, not worth it in their eyes. However, if my cousin were to go that route, they would look for one with about 60k miles, which would be difficult on a '05.

If you could get a remanuf for 3k, that sounds reasonable. I am simply assuming that $2k used for a CR-V, vs. $3k remanuf for a LS430, the latter is a better deal...
Agreed...Leaning more towards remanufactured trans from lexus instead of the one from Junkyard for piece of mind.
Old 11-29-17, 09:04 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Car transmission is toast and insurance would like to total the car, What is the fair value on 05 UL LS430 with 176k miles?
Was the "transmission is toast" conclusion from the Lexus dealership? From the pictures, it does not look like the debris made its way pass the engine. I can see that the transmission cooling lines were damaged and ATF spilled onto the roadway, but I cannot imagine how the debris could have impacted with the transmission.
Old 11-29-17, 03:02 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Was the "transmission is toast" conclusion from the Lexus dealership? From the pictures, it does not look like the debris made its way pass the engine. I can see that the transmission cooling lines were damaged and ATF spilled onto the roadway, but I cannot imagine how the debris could have impacted with the transmission.
I am having tough time believing that as well...Although, Tow truck driver did drive the car up on the bed and off the truck without much trans fluid if any.
Not sure whether that 1-2 mins of trans being engaged without fluid would do significant damage.

Once i have the car in possession, will take it to trans shop to assess the damage.
Old 11-29-17, 04:01 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Transmission fluid serves 3 functions inside the transmission:
1) Lubricant - it provides lubrication for moving gears and parts,
2) Hydraulic Fluid - it is used as hydraulic fluid to shift gears via shifting solenoids,
3) Coolant - it circulates through the moving parts to remove heat.

Assuming that the radiator is damaged and ATF were leaking from the cooling lines, the leaking will not continue when the engine is turned off. Meanwhile, the torque converter holds about 75% of the ATF, and the remaining ATF in the transmission pan. You said the car was driven on and off the tow truck, which indicates that there is sufficient ATF through the torque converter to spin the transmission, and enough ATF through the shifting solenoids to put the transmission in gear. For a couple of minutes, I seriously doubt that the transmission is toast.
Old 12-01-17, 04:10 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Transmission fluid serves 3 functions inside the transmission:
1) Lubricant - it provides lubrication for moving gears and parts,
2) Hydraulic Fluid - it is used as hydraulic fluid to shift gears via shifting solenoids,
3) Coolant - it circulates through the moving parts to remove heat.

Assuming that the radiator is damaged and ATF were leaking from the cooling lines, the leaking will not continue when the engine is turned off. Meanwhile, the torque converter holds about 75% of the ATF, and the remaining ATF in the transmission pan. You said the car was driven on and off the tow truck, which indicates that there is sufficient ATF through the torque converter to spin the transmission, and enough ATF through the shifting solenoids to put the transmission in gear. For a couple of minutes, I seriously doubt that the transmission is toast.
Thanks for the valuable explanation!

I asked adjuster if i could buy the car back, they said sure and came back with a Figure based on what Salvage yards are willing to pay.
We agreed on the numbers and 2 days later, Adjuster said how they would have to issue Certificate of Destruction that means i would never be able to register the car.

Any pointers, Suggestions? I would love to buy the car back and fix it to make it road worthy but not if i can't register and drive.
Don't want to deal with the hassle of buying the car and parting it out.
Old 12-01-17, 04:31 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Here's a link with useful information for Florida where you are https://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/salvaged-vehicles.php. Tell the adjuster to apply for a Salvage title, or he does not have a deal. With the Salvage title, you can make necessary repairs on the vehicle, and once you passed inspection, you can upgrade to Rebuild title and legally drive the vehicle on public street.

Quick Reply: Ran over big heavy duty propeller fan