LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ran over big heavy duty propeller fan

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-17, 01:30 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Sorry to hear, BUT, it does sound like your car will be back on the road, so that's good.

That's why I call them the lizard co. I know it's not a lizard, but I call it that. The only accident I've had since ever, was in 2010 when I had a fender bender with a 2011 BMW loaner car. I was on the hook for my deductible, and had the lizard co. I felt bad but business is business, thank goodness it wasn't my car. Anyway, on the estimate, each item stated aftermarket, on a car with < 5,000 miles. Also, to justify aftermarket, the adjustor hand wrote what salvage yard stated used was not available, and what number and time/date he called (pathetic and I'm sure he made it all up). I argued with them for 40 min. to get an OE windshield on my own car, cracked in driver's view, they wanted to repair it? lol then that nutty nationwide co. out of Columbus, and thankfully the gal caved in after 40 min and had an attitude said ok to Saint Gobain Sekurit with BMW logo. No thanks to that lizard but good luck....
Finally agreed to have the mechanical work done at lexus service dept.
Old 11-14-17, 06:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Salil022
My question would be why put customers through that? It should go like this.
"We have arranged for you to have the repairs completed at Tony's Pick 'n' Pull, just watch for the German Shepherds when you go for your repair."

"I'd prefer to do it at the Lexus dealership."

"Ok."

For me, literally arguing for 40 min. with a female rep is what it took to get them to use a OE windshield. At the time, my car was 3 y.o., not really that old. I say no to the lizard co.

Good luck with the repairs, and imho you should see about switching. I was able to get a significant discount, better coverage, going to an agent who has a real office. (still never had a claim)
Old 11-14-17, 09:11 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

See if they'll polish your headlights while the car is in for repairs...
Old 11-14-17, 09:22 AM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad you got them to do the right thing. Congratulations.
Old 11-14-17, 10:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Good luck...

FYI my buddy's wife has a brand new NX200t and he just called me about this topic, with SAFECO....windshield cracked in Miami....any guesses? lol Having a back and forth he said he wants glass with the Lexus logo and they are pushing him towards Safelite, not settled after 2 phone conversations (why?)...
Old 11-14-17, 10:55 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
(why?)...
Insurance companies are for profit and they'll always option for the cheaper alternative, as we know...

I wonder what (if any) insurance companies will use factory OEM parts during repairs. Is it an age related thing (cars newer than, say 2016 perhaps, or is it just the Mantra "Cheaper is better... for our bottom line/share holders..."
Old 11-14-17, 11:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Insurance companies are for profit and they'll always option for the cheaper alternative, as we know...

I wonder what (if any) insurance companies will use factory OEM parts during repairs. Is it an age related thing (cars newer than, say 2016 perhaps, or is it just the Mantra "Cheaper is better... for our bottom line/share holders..."
I think it's truly difficult to ensure OE parts in a crash, but on the glass, one can clearly see the mfg logo on it. And nowadays we can no longer say, omg it says Fuyao I got ripped off....there is Fuyao with the BMW logo on it, that's factory glass, only it cost BMW less than a Saint Gobain Sekurit and Pilkington....unless one were to say drive by the shop to see what's up. I did this with my dad long ago and the shop (a Toyota dealer) was completely dishonest (I said this panel looks like a bondo fantasy to me, if it's a new Toyota fender, let me see the old one--this guy was good, we took a long walk to a dumpster, and he said, hmmmm....looks like the truck already came and picked it up. That's a big lie and a good lesson to me when I was a kid, the lesson being human nature and the various degrees of cheating...)
Old 11-21-17, 01:40 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Car transmission is toast and insurance would like to total the car, What is the fair value on 05 UL LS430 with 176k miles?
Old 11-21-17, 01:51 PM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Car transmission is toast and insurance would like to total the car, What is the fair value on 05 UL LS430 with 176k miles?
Damn! That sucks!
Use kelly bluebook and nada. Then search AutoTrader and cargurus.com and filter with year and mileage to see the prices. Good luck!
Old 11-21-17, 02:31 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Very BIG! Watch yourself next time!
**** happens.
Sorry about the disaster.
Old 11-21-17, 02:40 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

in my market your car was $10,500. what was your deductible? I was afraid insurance would not want to spend much on the car due to age and mileage. sad
Old 11-21-17, 03:53 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
in my market your car was $10,500. what was your deductible? I was afraid insurance would not want to spend much on the car due to age and mileage. sad
These guys came back with 8300 + Sales tax and then i asked adjuster to make sure they value the car based on Ultra Luxury.
Can i expect insurance to pay $10-11k?
Old 11-21-17, 04:30 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I would ask for $10,500 minus your deductible. what was the repair estimate? the insurance industry will try to pay as little as possible .do not take their first offer. they are going to raise your rates anyway. maybe take the money and repair with used parts. risky but you know what the car is all about. reliable luxury like that cannot be replaced with $8,300.
Old 11-21-17, 05:10 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
I would ask for $10,500 minus your deductible. what was the repair estimate? the insurance industry will try to pay as little as possible .do not take their first offer. they are going to raise your rates anyway. maybe take the money and repair with used parts. risky but you know what the car is all about. reliable luxury like that cannot be replaced with $8,300.
Thanks i'll certainly push them for more, Let's see how they play.
Old 11-21-17, 06:45 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

It's now in your best interest to do your homework. Find out what comparable vehicles are worth. Go to Edmunds.com, NADA, KBB. Look up what similar cars are selling for on cars.com, etc. Ask them how they arrived at their offer. When my car was totaled 2 years ago my insurance gave me a fair settlement based on what I would have had to pay at a dealer.

Do you have any receipts for any recent upgrades or service? New tires? Can you prove that the car was meticulously maintained? Show them some examples of ultra high mileage LS's and tell them that's what you were aiming at.

Good luck...

Quick Reply: Ran over big heavy duty propeller fan