LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New pads and rotors(myself) - still squeals in reverse with pedal

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-17, 08:15 AM
biacs
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default New pads and rotors(myself) - still squeals in reverse with pedal

OK - did pads / rotors / flushed brake fluid a few months back. Whenever I am backing up I get this loud HOWL with pressing the brake pedal. I pulled off front pads on the passenger side where I thought I heard it and nothing was out of place.

People talk about shims etc - but I just added the new pads with the rotors installed and put it back together, no other parts or 'shims'. Just what came off the car. Did I miss something or do something stupid??

Has anyone had this on their LS?
Old 11-10-17, 08:40 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I used akebono pads and centrix rotors had same squeal on rears, wake up the choir! Its much better after over a year worse in winter. What parts did ya use
Old 11-10-17, 08:43 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have had same problem with centric rotors and akebono pads. I usually have just left the rotors and never an issue. I felt I had to change even though no brake pulsing, mistake if no pulsation leave rotors do not cut them also. Ya the noise will wake up the choir, worse in winter, it will get better after a year plus much better.
Old 11-10-17, 09:19 AM
biacs
Intermediate

Akebono ACT871 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Rear Brake Pad Set For 2001-2006 Lexus LS430 Akebono ACT871 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Rear Brake Pad Set For 2001-2006 Lexus LS430
Akebono

Ordered on May 12, 2017 (1 item)
Bosch 50011458 QuietCast Premium Disc Brake Rotor, Front Bosch 50011458 QuietCast Premium Disc Brake Rotor, Front
Bosch

So thats what I used. Its coming back to me :-) I did swap the rear pads -vendor said order and send back old as refund. So replaced rear pads and pulled front passenger pads and reinstalled.
Old 11-10-17, 09:34 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I've replaced front and rear pads several times, and within the last year replaced front and back rotors. I used all OEM Toyota/Lexus pads and rotors and have never had a squeak nor squeal. I did use CRC synthetic brake caliper grease on all the edges and flat surfaces of the pads that touch the calipers and piston, but more importantly, before applying the grease, I wire brushed everything then sprayed down everything liberally with CRC red brake cleaner. CRC green evaporates too quickly and doesn't clean as well.

Anyway, sometimes determining WHERE the noise is coming from is half the problem! You should try applying only the emergency brake while going in reverse and see what happens. If you don't get noise when applying parking (foot) brake to slow down, then the noise is coming from the front brakes. If you DO get the noise when applying the parking (foot) brake, then it's your rear pads/rotors producing the noise.

Something else you didn't mention is hopefully you sprayed down the rotors with A LOT of the brake clean spray, on the inside and outside brake surfaces of the rotors before installing them?! Most rotors are manufactured/packaged with a thin film of anti-rust coating so they don't rust in the package while sitting on the shelf. If you didn't liberally spray a ton of cleaner on the brand new rotors, you can still try now and see if simply cleaning the surfaces will help eliminate the squeal. Just make sure you get BOTH sides of the rotor.

I personally would try 1 solution at a time to try to determine exactly where the noise is coming from. These are both quick and easy actions that will help determine where the noise is coming from. The brake clean/spray might actually fix your issue also. I would also aim the spray tube in the 1mm space between the pad surface and rotor. This will help clean the surface of your new pads if they're contaminated with a substance.

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 11-10-17 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-10-17, 09:42 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

The parking brake pads can make noise when reversing, especially on new rotors. I've experienced this myself after having the '01 parked on ramps for a couple days with the parking brake applied.

I went to back out of the driveway and heard the incessant song of the rotor... It went away after a day or so.

You may have a coating on the interior of the rear disc, where the parking brake pads ride, which could be causing the noise.
Old 11-10-17, 09:43 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

+1 with LS430inDE. Apply a light coating of brake caliper grease/anti seize on the surfaces of the caliper that contact the pad. No need to spread it across the whole pad, that invites dust to stick.
Old 11-10-17, 09:53 AM
biacs
Intermediate

I sprayed them down front and back - no excessive superpowered cleaning with ultra cleaner. Just plain brake cleaner - sprayyyyed and wiped clean.
Old 11-10-17, 12:01 PM
Jkallinen
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by biacs
I sprayed them down front and back - no excessive superpowered cleaning with ultra cleaner. Just plain brake cleaner - sprayyyyed and wiped clean.
Pretty much how I did mine. The back-up squeak will go away after they wear a bit. Was irritating till it did.
Old 11-10-17, 03:42 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Anyway, sometimes determining WHERE the noise is coming from is half the problem! You should try applying only the emergency brake while going in reverse and see what happens. If you don't get noise when applying parking (foot) brake to slow down, then the noise is coming from the front brakes. If you DO get the noise when applying the parking (foot) brake, then it's your rear pads/rotors producing the noise.
The problem here is that the parking brake shoes are, for all intents and purposes, a separate system from the back brakes even though they share the same rotor. There is a specific drum portion formed around the rotor that mates with the parking brakes shoes. So just because you don't get any noise while testing the parking brake doesn't mean that the front pads are the issue. The rear pads could be the problem also...
Old 11-11-17, 01:08 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
The problem here is that the parking brake shoes are, for all intents and purposes, a separate system from the back brakes even though they share the same rotor. There is a specific drum portion formed around the rotor that mates with the parking brakes shoes. So just because you don't get any noise while testing the parking brake doesn't mean that the front pads are the issue. The rear pads could be the problem also...
Great point. I was imagining the foot brake activating the pads and forgot about the shoes. Out of sight, out of (my) mind! Good catch!

Wondering if OP hears the noise when applying the foot brake while going in reverse?
Old 11-12-17, 05:11 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Great point. I was imagining the foot brake activating the pads and forgot about the shoes. Out of sight, out of (my) mind! Good catch!
I mentioned a similar thought in Post #9