LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Removal of chrome molding that runs along top of doors and molding on roof?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 06:38 AM
PolishDude
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removal of chrome molding that runs along top of doors and molding on roof?

The chrome molding that sits on top of the door skin, do these just pop out or is there a screw somewhere holding them on also? Looking to remove all 4 (drive, passenger, driver rear, passenger rear).

Also the drip rail, molding on the roof, does that also just pop out?

Thanks
Old 11-07-17, 06:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

The drip rails are easy, no tools needed....I replaced my driver side because the vinyl had peeled quite a bit....the pass. side, I used clear packaging tape to prevent the peeling as it had started...

The easiest way is to start at the windshield. Undo with your hands those vertical moldings....now, you can easily lift up the drip molding starting at the front. Can't think of any other analogy, it's as easy as undoing Legos and snapping them back....just don't bend it and keep moving to the back, nothing needs to be replaced (clips)....good luck

don't know about the other...
Old 11-07-17, 07:01 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
The drip rails are easy, no tools needed....I replaced my driver side because the vinyl had peeled quite a bit....the pass. side, I used clear packaging tape to prevent the peeling as it had started...

The easiest way is to start at the windshield. Undo with your hands those vertical moldings....now, you can easily lift up the drip molding starting at the front. Can't think of any other analogy, it's as easy as undoing Legos and snapping them back....just don't bend it and keep moving to the back, nothing needs to be replaced (clips)....good luck

Intresting so its just vinyl on there? My driver side finish is completely gone and my passenger side I noticed looks like its peeling. I thought I could wrap it with vinyl in something that is close to my silver paint.
Old 11-07-17, 09:38 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

Drip rails pop right off. Start at the rear and work forward... use a plastic trim removal tool. There are five total clips... shouldn't break any if you are careful. I had mine wrapped in gloss black vinyl... cost $115 and looks great.
Old 11-07-17, 10:07 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
Drip rails pop right off. Start at the rear and work forward... use a plastic trim removal tool. There are five total clips... shouldn't break any if you are careful. I had mine wrapped in gloss black vinyl... cost $115 and looks great.
Looks great, I think I’m going to order some vinyl to do this.
Old 11-07-17, 10:24 AM
Romanova
Racer

I love the black, rather than the body color... something a bit different.
Old 11-07-17, 10:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I actually had never noticed drip rails before, and now realize all of our cars except the 1998 Nissan have them. When I took mine off, pine needles and dirt (mud) was under it, amazing but when you look closely, there's only a tiny plastic squeegee like part that would keep stuff out...it the vinyl is peeled off then it looks stainless...imho I bet most are like I was, i.e. wouldn't notice drip rails on somebody else's car. Just that if the color wrap is loose and flapping, then sure others might notice...
Old 11-07-17, 12:51 PM
PolishDude
Driver

Okay cool, so anyone have any idea how the molding at the bottom of the windows comes off, btw I am talking about this piece...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Door-...JZAHbC&vxp=mtr
Old 11-07-17, 01:29 PM
PolishDude
Driver

Does it go all the way down to the windshield to the hood or is that a separate piece? also clipped in?
Old 11-07-17, 03:17 PM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by PolishDude
Does it go all the way down to the windshield to the hood or is that a separate piece? also clipped in?
Separate piece.
Old 11-12-17, 11:27 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

Any consensus on how to remove theM One says start at front, other says start at rear.

Sounds like either way they come off relatively easily?

Thanks.
Old 11-12-17, 06:55 PM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by RandyV
Any consensus on how to remove theM One says start at front, other says start at rear.

Sounds like either way they come off relatively easily?

Thanks.
The front part sort of slips into the one that runs up by the A-pillar. It was easier for me to start at the rear and when you get to the front, it just slips out due to the angle. You could probably start at the front, but I was wary of putting too much pressure on it and breaking it.
Old 11-17-17, 04:10 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you break any clips?

The guys at the end of this thread says they all broke:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rip-rails.html
Old 11-17-17, 05:13 PM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by RandyV
Did you break any clips?

The guys at the end of this thread says they all broke:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rip-rails.html
You'd have to be so rough with them to break them or they would have to be really fragile. With soft, even pressure and the correct tool you shouldn't have any problems.