LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Opinion/Feeler on a UL LS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-17, 02:08 PM
TXV6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion/Feeler on a UL LS430

I came across someone who is considering selling their 430 and trying to gauge realistic prices of what these may be going for. I get my haircut regularly from the guy so can vouch he only DDs it highway miles on weekends.
Visually from casual viewing, its clean but I'll take a detailed look Monday to assess condition and maintenance history.

2006 Silver w/ Black interior
Levinson/Nav/Fridge and the UL goodies
120k miles
2nd owner
SoCal highway miles

Disclaimer: I may buy it or help him list it if pricing is out of my budget. I know what the more common 430s (non UL / gray or tan interiors) could go for, but seeing what the enthusiast market entails for these.
Also any issues to look for on these? I know they had the laser cruise in the front grill that possibly had some issues?

Appreciate any insight and thank you!
Attached Thumbnails Opinion/Feeler on a UL LS430-seb430ul.png  

Last edited by TXV6; 11-04-17 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-04-17, 02:36 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I love my UL, its been a great car. The main thing that you would probably need to look out for is the air struts. I've had a sag in one of mine since I bought it and it leaks, I need to replace it. It can be pretty expensive if you replace it with OEM stuff. The other thing would be the timing belt, has it been replaced? Outside of that they are really good and comfortable cars. People are always amazed when they ride in mine how nice it is and especially surprised when I tell them how old it is. I paid 14k for mine 3 years ago with 82k miles on it, 1 owner and all records. Not sure what they would go for now. Only thing I've had to do on the car so far is timing belt and that was more of preventative maintenance, I also plan on installing the brakes I ordered soon. I just passed 100k miles last weekend.
Old 11-04-17, 04:59 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by TXV6
I know they had the laser cruise in the front grill that possibly had some issues?
Judging by grill, it looks like it has the optional radar cruise control (DRCC) which was in a package that included the automatic emergency braking Pre-Collision System (PCS). The radar sensor wasn't prone to damage from road debris like the laser sensor was. If it does have these features, it is a more desirable UL. That was very high tech back in 2006 but not so much today - all vehicles made by Toyota for the 2018 model year have significantly improved versions of DRCC and PCS as standard equipment..

An easy way to tell if it has DRCC/PCS is to look for the PCS on/off button under the dash. If the button is toggled to the off position, something like PCS or "PCS OFF" will display in the instrument cluster..
Old 11-04-17, 06:07 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

on a 12 year old car options and color make little or no difference in price. my guess is a bargain at $8,000 and a rip-off at $12,000. possible money pit or best car you will ever buy. it's a crap shoot, good luck
Old 11-05-17, 05:35 PM
mrhenry123
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i may be interested if it comes up and you pass
Old 11-07-17, 08:04 PM
TXV6
Driver School Candidate

Well, I didn't get the friend price but did offer to help list it. Needs a detail job to make it show ready and for some better pics. Unfortunately didn't get to drive it or go more in depth. Maybe Friday.

Looks like $9k is what he is looking for.
Attached Thumbnails Opinion/Feeler on a UL LS430-00.png   Opinion/Feeler on a UL LS430-01.png   Opinion/Feeler on a UL LS430-03.png  
Old 11-07-17, 08:05 PM
TXV6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kansas
Judging by grill, it looks like it has the optional radar cruise control (DRCC) which was in a package that included the automatic emergency braking Pre-Collision System (PCS). The radar sensor wasn't prone to damage from road debris like the laser sensor was. If it does have these features, it is a more desirable UL. That was very high tech back in 2006 but not so much today - all vehicles made by Toyota for the 2018 model year have significantly improved versions of DRCC and PCS as standard equipment..

An easy way to tell if it has DRCC/PCS is to look for the PCS on/off button under the dash. If the button is toggled to the off position, something like PCS or "PCS OFF" will display in the instrument cluster..
Thank you for the excellent detail here. Much appreciated.
Old 11-08-17, 10:23 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Where in TX is it? Any links to a for sale post?

Do you know if it still has the air shocks or was it ever converted over to coil overs?
Old 11-08-17, 10:47 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by TXV6
Well, I didn't get the friend price but did offer to help list it. Needs a detail job to make it show ready and for some better pics. Unfortunately didn't get to drive it or go more in depth. Maybe Friday.

Looks like $9k is what he is looking for.
This is a late model 2006 (mfg'd 6/06)....seems like a lot are like mine, '06's, but mfg'd in 9/05. That would be a plus for me....the car is almost 3/4 year newer than many...
Old 11-08-17, 11:49 AM
caverman
Instructor

UL would probably kill the deal for me. Although I would prefer to switch over to Silver/Black LS, I don't want the suspension expense that would come with the air shocks on the UL. Still, I would like to look at more details about it and maybe I'll get lucky that it's in the DFW area so I can go take a look at it.
Old 11-08-17, 11:50 AM
caverman
Instructor

BTW, what is the plastic plate around the emblem in the grill for? I wonder if it's part of the PCS system that was mentioned earlier.
Old 11-08-17, 05:58 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
UL would probably kill the deal for me. Although I would prefer to switch over to Silver/Black LS, I don't want the suspension expense that would come with the air shocks on the UL. Still, I would like to look at more details about it and maybe I'll get lucky that it's in the DFW area so I can go take a look at it.
Yes, I made a siimilar decision 9 years ago. A loaded LS430 as my first experience with this model or the basic model. With much research.. I settle on the most basic LS430 available in 2001 other than 16' wheels and of course needed Nav. Voila!!! Here I am once again 9 years later with minimum, but certainly not zero issues with my wonderful car! Wish I could own it forever and it drives better every day.
Old 11-09-17, 02:26 PM
TXV6
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for any misunderstanding. Car is in SoCal. I come out monthly for work for a few weeks at a time which is why I was aware of it. Guy has never sold a car before so I basically helped him list it

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...378390227.html
Old 11-09-17, 03:49 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow 9k is cheap. I paid 14k for mine last year. Same as this one. UL typically calls for 2-4K more than any other
Old 11-09-17, 05:11 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 5t341th
Wow 9k is cheap. I paid 14k for mine last year. Same as this one. UL typically calls for 2-4K more than any other
Yeah its a great price, I paid 14k for my 02 3 years ago. Would have loved to have the 04+ style for the headlights. I would definitely get it for that price if everything checks out. Almost a steal. Even better that its a Cali car. Go on the lexus drivers site and get a account if you dont have one already and plugin the VIN. It will show any records. In fact my car was from Malibu 1 owner car and the owner had every single thing done at the dealer including lightbulb replacement. If a older guy owned it chances are they did the same with this one.

Last edited by e60bmw; 11-09-17 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinion/Feeler on a UL LS430