LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Road debris causing bottom engine cover destruction.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-17, 09:33 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I believe I have the OE fasteners (3 different kinds), I got them a year ago just in case as I noticed the screws going into the fluorescent plastic "anchors" if you will are loose, I think on this I'd bite the bullet and go OE. You've got some dealers out of Miami who discount 31% off list....even though nobody sees it, that type of part I'd prefer original, because it likely directs the air properly under the vehicle...

Not positive this is it, but this is a good deal plus free shipping and OE, 40% off list

https://www.amazon.com/Toyoya-51441-.../dp/B01F7MBASQ

here's a x-ref to a knock-off part

https://www.ebay.com/itm/04-06-LS430...lZI0BT&vxp=mtr
John, after I noticed part of the bottom cover was torn off, some of the front screws are missing as well. Should I be ordering every screw and anchor from Lexus (about 69-76cents each or just the few that are missing and have the indy improvise where it is necessary? Most of the screws are on but as you mentioned are not tight. I'm getting the aftermarket cover which doesn't supply any screws. I'm just not sure what I will need. This is probably a good job for a body shop as they usually have everything necessary when assembling these items. What do you suggest?
Old 11-04-17, 09:56 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
While traveling on the Florida Tpke, I must have hit something that tore off a good size section off the bottom of my plastic lower engine cover along with a number of screws. The sound was horrific at 70 mph and didn't know what happened until I pulled off the Tpke. Bottom line is this. The OEM Lexus plastic cover with many of the screws I need comes to a whopping $275 from Lexus. I did see an aftermarket cover (very shinny) sold on ebay as an alternative for $59. Not sure about shipping costs as I have not gotten there. Should I entertain the aftermarket even if I have no idea if the holes even line up or what it's made of? Anyone have to replace the bottom cover. Most of my cover is still there, but the A/C coil is partiallly exposed and if any damage occurs to these expensive components I'm in big trouble. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with losing the bottom cover? Thanks all.
I have that replacement front lower engine shield on my '01. It's a perfect replacement. Note: the engine shield for the '01 - '03 and '04 - '06 are different and different part #s.
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (11-04-17)
Old 11-04-17, 10:35 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tom57
I have that replacement front lower engine shield on my '01. It's a perfect replacement. Note: the engine shield for the '01 - '03 and '04 - '06 are different and different part #s.
Thanks Tom. Yes I am aware of the different part numbers for my 01 and for a 04=06. Reviews mentioned kind of flimsy, but saving $200 from OEM has to have some draw backs. OEM is not all that strong either. Just as long as it stays on and doesn't fly off in the wind or get torn off in a car wash.Where did you get yours? . There are a few vendors. Price is $72 with shipping.
Old 11-04-17, 01:04 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks Tom. Yes I am aware of the different part numbers for my 01 and for a 04=06. Reviews mentioned kind of flimsy, but saving $200 from OEM has to have some draw backs. OEM is not all that strong either. Just as long as it stays on and doesn't fly off in the wind or get torn off in a car wash.Where did you get yours? . There are a few vendors. Price is $72 with shipping.
I got mine a few years ago from RockAuto. I checked for you and see that they're out of stock on it. I seem to recall paying around $30.
Old 11-04-17, 02:31 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tom57
I got mine a few years ago from RockAuto. I checked for you and see that they're out of stock on it. I seem to recall paying around $30.
Might have been a few years ago for you. Lowest price I could find with shipping is $72. I found one online site called Carid.com with a low price of $39.00 but they only had one in stock and tons of negative reviews. Never heard of them. I'd rather go with a higher ebay rating or somewhere that is known. I checked Rock Auto and they were out of stock. Thanks again. I'll be ordering one soon from one of these sites. Lexus is stupid with their prices!!!
Old 11-04-17, 04:57 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I found a great price with Advance Auto parts only to find after I placed the order for a used part from a used car! Gheeze.. who buys an aftermarket lower engine cover that is used? . I of course cancelled the order asap and am still waiting for confirmation. I followed up by ordering the part from Go-Parts. Price was $71.20. A lot better than $250+ from Lexus.
Old 11-05-17, 04:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

John, after I noticed part of the bottom cover was torn off, some of the front screws are missing as well. Should I be ordering every screw and anchor from Lexus (about 69-76cents each or just the few that are missing and have the indy improvise where it is necessary? Most of the screws are on but as you mentioned are not tight. I'm getting the aftermarket cover which doesn't supply any screws. I'm just not sure what I will need. This is probably a good job for a body shop as they usually have everything necessary when assembling these items. What do you suggest?
I think you'd be ok just using what's there, and replace what's missing, and having the indie let you know if any were not usable....I went crazy and ordered all of them a year ago, and am having a hard time finding what diagram I would have used to identify them all...funny I have qty 11 of those screws that hold the air intake down, and I reused the ones that were there even though the ends have flared out making them hard to reinsert. Probably all goes back to working in a restaurant when I was 16!

edit

wait a sec this may show everything, and be why I have two types of screws and also u clips, just click on the diagram to expand, then scroll down...

https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...144150090.html

The yellow grommets are these

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-grommet-screw~90189-06066.html?Make=Lexus&Model=LS430&Year=2006&Submodel=&Filter=()

I believe these are one kind of screws

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-screw-w-washer-tapp~90159-60477.html?Make=Lexus&Model=LS430&Year=2006&Submodel=&Filter=()

the other screws are

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...159-60507.html

I also have

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-nut~90179-05060.html?Make=Lexus&Model=LS430&Year=2006&Submodel=&Filter=()

Last edited by Johnhav430; 11-05-17 at 05:09 AM.
Bocatrip (11-05-17)
Old 11-05-17, 05:26 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I think you'd be ok just using what's there, and replace what's missing, and having the indie let you know if any were not usable....I went crazy and ordered all of them a year ago, and am having a hard time finding what diagram I would have used to identify them all...funny I have qty 11 of those screws that hold the air intake down, and I reused the ones that were there even though the ends have flared out making them hard to reinsert.
The other (cheaper) option is to head on over to Home Depot/Lowe's/Menards, etc. and buy a metric hardware kit or take one bolt along and match it up with something you find. Usually about 10-15 cents a piece. Dab a little grease on the end of it and thread it in place. Easy Peazy.,.
Bocatrip (11-05-17)
Old 11-05-17, 05:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
The other (cheaper) option is to head on over to Home Depot/Lowe's/Menards, etc. and buy a metric hardware kit or take one bolt along and match it up with something you find. Usually about 10-15 cents a piece. Dab a little grease on the end of it and thread it in place. Easy Peazy.,.
Definitely a good idea....nobody would ever even see these screws.....I have definitely found a bolt to use to pull out a rotor this way and did exactly this with my Maxima where I really didn't care anymore if it were original or something that simply worked...
Old 11-05-17, 06:05 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Thanks John and 2KHarrier. Lexus gave me an expanded view of the lower cover with all the screw part numbers and bolts which John has provided above. Just not sure other than the front row what additionally I might need. Lexus also ordered me (5) 90159-60507 which looks like it goes on the back sides of the cover. The missing screws are on the front so he made a mistake there. Also ordered (2) 90179-05060 which might be those clip bolts that have a tendency to fall off. I told him to order me the cover which of course is going back (at $250). What bothers me is 2 things.....1) if the new cover is as flimsy as mentioned, what will keep it on going through a car wash and even traveling at higher speeds? 2) Do I now have to keep an eye on the tech every time they change my oil or other front end work so that they don't keep losing the screws? I don't believe the new cover has access to the oil filter, so the entire cover must come off.
Old 11-05-17, 06:43 AM
2KHarrier

Thanks John and 2KHarrier. What bothers me is 2 things.....1) if the new cover is as flimsy as mentioned, what will keep it on going through a car wash and even traveling at higher speeds? 2) Do I now have to keep an eye on the tech every time they change my oil or other front end work so that they don't keep losing the screws? I don't believe the new cover has access to the oil filter, so the entire cover must come off.
First of all, you're welcome!
And to answer the concerns...

1) Nothing more than what was originally there, unless you install OD washers under the fastener heads. That would give you a little more purchase on the cover, VS. just the head of the fastener against the cover. (call it peace of mind)

2) Yes (consider it a new hobby...)
Old 11-05-17, 09:10 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm not sure what your concern about the car wash is about? The underbody spray that I get during the winter time isn't going to hurt that cover at all and I have yet to find a car wash around here that has a rotating brush that cleans the underbody.

I always remove the cover when I do my oil changes. Using a cordless driver makes easy work of it and it allows me to get a better view of anything that might be amiss down there. You could always carry a few extra screws with you and mention this to the tech who does your oil changes. I think a gentle reminder at the beginning of the oil change that you expect all of the fasteners to end up back on the car is probably in order...
Bocatrip (11-05-17)
Old 11-05-17, 09:42 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gronemus
I'm not sure what your concern about the car wash is about? The underbody spray that I get during the winter time isn't going to hurt that cover at all and I have yet to find a car wash around here that has a rotating brush that cleans the underbody.

I always remove the cover when I do my oil changes. Using a cordless driver makes easy work of it and it allows me to get a better view of anything that might be amiss down there. You could always carry a few extra screws with you and mention this to the tech who does your oil changes. I think a gentle reminder at the beginning of the oil change that you expect all of the fasteners to end up back on the car is probably in order...
Good Pointers Gronemus....With regards to the car wash...You have no idea how aggressive the automatic car washes are here. I've had bumper damage from the brushes and the pulling of the cars and banging into the rails is another story. Yes, the spraying underneath is quite strong as well if the cover is not fastened as it should (which might have been the problem to begin with). I do happen to mention to all my techs regardless of what they do to be cautious and that's why many of them know I'm a royal pain! Regardless I always reach into my pocket beforehand to help with the outcome. As you guys can see, I am over the top OCD with all my cars, but can't help it. I guess the person who gets the benefit of my efforts is the next owner in line when I sell. (whenever that might be). Thanks again for all the valuable advice on such a trivial subject! lol When I pick up the screws and bolts ordered from Lexus, I am planning on going to Home Depot to try to match them and have them around just in case......
Old 11-05-17, 11:24 AM
2KHarrier

My wise Grandfather once said many, many years ago; "Ask a question and you're a fool for 5 minutes, never ask and you're a fool for life".

I would not call this a "trivial" subject. Look at the responses and input it's garnered.

Nope, not trivial...
Old 11-05-17, 12:58 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
My wise Grandfather once said many, many years ago; "Ask a question and you're a fool for 5 minutes, never ask and you're a fool for life".

I would not call this a "trivial" subject. Look at the responses and input it's garnered.

Nope, not trivial...
Nice way to say that I'm not the only nut! Thanks again for the encouragement.

Quick Reply: Road debris causing bottom engine cover destruction.