LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Very early pirelli p7 cinturato a/s plus 97v review

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-17, 07:42 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

To be fair they where 58 bucks plus shipping from Tire Rack so I don't recall if they where out of date to be fair. They where real directional in heavy rain and slush almost tracked with a mind of their own spinning rain slush straight up into the felt fender cover versus shedding it to the side. But they did improve I think I have 6/32's to 7 32's on em and I don't even think about them being a liability in heavy rain slush like they used to be.
Old 11-25-17, 03:30 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Ok folks.....I just got back from a 400 mile round trip with my P7 plus Pirellis H rated on 17" rims. No rain on this trip.......very simple review for me...nothing has changed.....this is a great tire......

review....
Soft....smooooooth.....quiet........handled great......tracked very well
The following 2 users liked this post by jpv7774:
2KHarrier (11-25-17), Bocatrip (11-29-17)
Old 11-28-17, 09:56 PM
AlanLS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on my second LS430. The first wore Michelin Primacies well. I switched to Goodrich, and they were fine, but I could tell the difference (you get what you pay for?)

When that car was totaled, I found an LS430 Sport with Cinturato P7s. Great tires, but they sure are NOISY. After some more wear, I will go back to the Michelin Primacie for sure.
Old 11-29-17, 07:48 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanLS430
I am on my second LS430. The first wore Michelin Primacies well. I switched to Goodrich, and they were fine, but I could tell the difference (you get what you pay for?)

When that car was totaled, I found an LS430 Sport with Cinturato P7s. Great tires, but they sure are NOISY. After some more wear, I will go back to the Michelin Primacie for sure.
Could it be possible that the LS430 with the P7s did not have rotations done regularly and/or alignment out of spec? Do you have any idea how many miles were on those P7s when you purchased the second LS430? One thing I can rave about is how quiet the P7s are. They are whisper quiet. Of course I have not driven all that many miles (under 1,000 miles) but will certainly make mention if anything changes.
Old 11-29-17, 05:32 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Mine since new have been quiet.
Old 11-29-17, 06:39 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Yep.....no doubt....the P7s are a lot of things......but definitely not noisy. Mine are church mouse quiet.
Old 12-09-17, 07:09 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Ok people.....I did as i said I would and I tested my LS430 with P7s in the rain. If u look at the weather map...I was in Williamsburg Va for the last 2 days and drove from WB back to Chantilly Va in the rain and snow.
Sooooooo where the heck do a small few of you get that this tire isnt good in the rain? I kept waiting for something to happen.....a slip....getting squirrely.......tire spin at a stop light........The streets were flooded from 2 solid days of rain....I drove my wife crazy trying to get the car to do a burn out. I even tried in wet leaves and the tires didnt spin!! Now I did not power brake......nor did I put the pedal all the way to the floor because what idiot would floor a LS430 at a stop light.......but I did do aggressive stops and starts and these tires wouldnt budge. All I can gather is that the folks that claim issues with this tire in the rain must be driving very aggressively.........flooring the car at stop lights........or bashing the brand for some weird reason.
The only other thing I can come up with is that maybe an older LS like an 01 02 03 that didnt have the 6 speed tranny is geared hotter off the line and can spin the tires. My 04 starts off the line with a low mellow power then kicks it in once rolling so burn outs are darn near impossible.
Case dismissed............bull hockey
Old 12-09-17, 11:41 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Tite Rack tested ..."needs a sizable improvement in wet traction conclusion ..an ideal touring tire until it rains" So no offense my friend I think tire rack has more controlled testing grounds and its not a small few but its just a tire Peace
I drove mine today in the snow the stability control helps no problems
Old 12-09-17, 11:54 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=231
Old 12-10-17, 12:00 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

VA huh...maybe "fake news"
Old 12-10-17, 05:12 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I'm in the minority here, but I kinda agree with JP. I'll be swapping the winter tires on in a few days, but with the Pirelli's mounted, the car has driven just fine in the rain and during this first snow fall over the last few days.

No issues at all, but again, I'm apparently in the minority...

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 12-10-17 at 07:50 AM. Reason: comma was in the wrong place...:)
Old 12-10-17, 07:36 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

From that TireRack test:

"Based on past experience, we knew the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus wouldn't be a standout in the wet, and it was significantly behind the leaders. Though it felt balanced and rather benign, the driver had to carefully navigate the track, using slow and gentle inputs to avoid overwhelming the available traction."

This is EXACTLY what I have experienced with this tire. Very easy to break traction in the wet, especially from start on an incline. I have to feather the throttle to prevent tire slip and traction control from kicking in. I have to give extra space to turn onto road into traffic when it is wet or raining, because the traction won't be there if a car is coming faster than you expected. Even a heavy morning dew in the summer is enough to give it problems. This has gotten worse in the past few months as I approach 20K miles on the tires.

The AS+ is a good tire at a good price. It is quiet and comfortable, even though that has declined since new, as to be expected. But the wet traction is a glaring weakness in this tire. I'm sure road surface type,driving styles, and other variables can amplify or decrease the impact to drivers, but it's pretty well documented now that it is an issue. It's not just a couple of guys on the internet making things up to disrespect someone's tires.
Old 12-10-17, 07:49 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
From that TireRack test:

"Based on past experience, we knew the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus wouldn't be a standout in the wet, and it was significantly behind the leaders. Though it felt balanced and rather benign, the driver had to carefully navigate the track, using slow and gentle inputs to avoid overwhelming the available traction."

This is EXACTLY what I have experienced with this tire. Very easy to break traction in the wet, especially from start on an incline. I have to feather the throttle to prevent tire slip and traction control from kicking in. I have to give extra space to turn onto road into traffic when it is wet or raining, because the traction won't be there if a car is coming faster than you expected. Even a heavy morning dew in the summer is enough to give it problems. This has gotten worse in the past few months as I approach 20K miles on the tires.

The AS+ is a good tire at a good price. It is quiet and comfortable, even though that has declined since new, as to be expected. But the wet traction is a glaring weakness in this tire. I'm sure road surface type,driving styles, and other variables can amplify or decrease the impact to drivers, but it's pretty well documented now that it is an issue. It's not just a couple of guys on the internet making things up to disrespect someone's tires.
I completely understand where you're coming from, appreciate your viewpoint, and would agree that Tirerack does a bang up job with their tests. My experience has been different, that's all.. The main reason I went with these was the price. If the cost was more than the Michelins, I would have spent my cash on the Primacies.
Old 12-10-17, 08:41 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I gave up on Pirelli a while ago and from reading this thread I wont be putting them on my LS. I have Michelin for the summer and Hankook IPikes in the winter. The Hankook IPikes are a great winter tire. My Michelin MXV4 will be replaced in the spring, not sure with what but they wont be Pirellis !
Old 12-10-17, 08:56 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Now that mine broke in I don't even think or worry about wet traction. I think when the wide deep center grooves where down the sipes wick moisture better to the shoulders. I would for sure buy em again and just drive carefully initially.

Quick Reply: Very early pirelli p7 cinturato a/s plus 97v review