LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

MAF Sensor too good to be true...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-17, 05:01 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts
Default MAF Sensor too good to be true...?

I just stumbled on a "Genuine" Toyota MAF Sensor (22204-22010) on eBay for $21.50.
Any thoughts? It's listed as NEW and ships from Florida. I get the feeling it's an overseas seller but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not genuine...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Denso-T....c100033.m2042
Old 10-22-17, 05:14 PM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I replaced my 01 MAF with a similar part from eBay for about the same price. The new one has been perfect after the ECM computer reset to accompany the install.

I would have no issue buying the part. I put in a new OE air filter at the same time.
Old 10-23-17, 05:26 AM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a bad experience with eBay. I bought one for around $60 w/ the OEM box. Once installed, I immediately got errors. The seller reassured me that it was new and shipped me another. The second one worked for about 3 months. I finally went with a Denso from Amazon and it's been working fine.
The following 2 users liked this post by lsdude:
bradland (10-23-17), coug66 (11-09-17)
Old 10-23-17, 09:06 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Cheaper ($16.99 USD) new OEM MAF at https://www.ebay.com/itm/22204-22010...n/152663528978 and you can make an offer.

It seems the lowest offer this person takes is $14.88 USD, plus save 5% when you buy 2 or more, and free shipping. Buy through a Paypal account so you have buyer protection and can get your money back if it's counterfeit.

I bought one and will report back if it actually arrives, improves my acceleration or fuel efficiency, does nothing, or makes things worse.
The following 2 users liked this post by StanVanDam:
bradland (10-23-17), omar804 (10-12-19)
Old 10-23-17, 09:44 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

Stan that one is really throwing up red flags. Ships from Hong Kong and no text, Toyota Denso Made in Japan Part numbers etc, on the top!
Even with PayPal protection I'm definitely passing on this one...
Old 10-25-17, 10:55 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

The original listing showed the MAF with the Toyota/Denso text on the top, and listed the brand as Denso. This seller has now updated the listing with a different picture and the brand listed has been changed from Denso to "Unbranded". I concur that you should not buy this one now.

I still have a copy of my original order that clearly shows that the specified brand was Denso, and the listing clearly states OEM Genuine Toyota Denso, so if I don't get an OEM MAF sensor, I will report it to eBay as counterfeit and get my money back.

Anyway, lots of other genuine-looking MAF sensors on eBay in the $20 USD range. If any of those are actually OEM, the price is right to potentially solve acceleration/power/mileage issues.
Old 11-09-17, 12:39 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

As expected after seeing that quick change in pictures/description, the one I bought was not Genuine, OEM, Toyota-packaged, or Denso-made, and I have received a full refund, no hassle or any questions asked. The seller knew they screwed up with the description at the time I had made the purchase.

The cheapest actual genuine OEM MAF sensor is still the one bradland posted - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/282660440237, $20.90 USD and ships from GAINESVILLE, FL 32606. Pictures seem to show it is Toyota-packaged, and should have the raised Toyota and Denso lettering across the top.

The reason I am trying a new MAF sensor is because the throttle/engine power seems sluggish AFTER the engine warms up (but not when engine is cold), and yes, I have cleaned the MAF sensor, throttle body, and PCV valve in my annual maintenance, engine air filter changed every 48000km (or sooner if required), and always run Top Tier fuel.

At this price, the MAF is cheap enough to test a new one, and since it takes less than 5 minutes to replace, may as well try it. I'll report back if the new MAF is legit and if it helps with anything.
The following users liked this post:
coug66 (11-09-17)
Old 12-01-17, 12:05 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Reporting back on 2 refunded MAF purchases and 1 in-transit MAF:

First MAF: From eBay seller "mlsworld", paid $13.57 USD, listed as OEM, clearly was not OEM when I received it. Their response: "We are sorry for the inconvenience brought to you in this matter. We apologize for the inconvenience. Pls don't worry, We are the honest seller,to show our sincerely apologize, we can give you fully refund and you can keep the item and no need to return to us. By the way,Would you accept our sincerely apology?hope you don't give us any bad feedback,thank you in advance! Again so sorry for any inconvenience brought to you."

Second MAF: From eBay seller "navimove", paid $29.90 USD, listed as brand new in original packaging, clearly was used and not sealed like the picture showed. Their response: "Sorry for all the inconvenience caused to you,it should be our warehouse worker made a mistake. We have issued a full refund to you."

Both of these sellers have now corrected these listings as to not misrepresent the items as new and OEM when they are not.

Third MAF: From eBay seller "dicasauto", paid $21.50 USD, pre-sales response: "it will be a sealed, unused, OEM Toyota-packaged Denso-manufactured sensor". Let's hope so.
Old 12-01-17, 03:27 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Funny that this thread has just recently appeared as I started a similar thread recently with regards to replacing my MAF on this forum titled "Replacing factory oem mass air flow sensor" I happened to do extensive research as I am totally OCD with everything and found the following. After asking a number of vendors with the MAF's priced in the $20+ range....are these authentic, new, and non reproductions made in China? my response from 2 were, yes they are made in China. Please understand that the pictures on Ebay show a MAF with the Toyota 22204-22010 part number over the Denso 197400-2030 making me think this must be OEM. Wrong!!! It's a counterfeit even though they say it's NEW! I don't have the time to interegate every vendor, but I'm certain the only genuine, authentic MAFs out there for our cars are from Toyota, Lexus, or a reliable vendor through a Toyota or Lexus dealership. Also, Denso will work and can be bought at a number of brick and mortar retailers but be prepared to spend close to $100 or more. I'm sure there are deals out there, but 25 bucks is a stupid price for a MAF and I'd stay away from one. FYI....Lexus discounts this part for $135 for those that want to be sure. Yes a hefty price for the truly original part. Once again... if it's too good to be true? It's not.
Old 12-01-17, 10:25 PM
coug66
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an MAF issue but it wasn't the sensor it was the fuse. So to help you out I swapped the original out and tried my cheap Denso ( probable) knock off. The car runs fine. no issues. no change in performance and no codes.

Not sure what to say but the cheap one works as well as the original. So if you have issues its probably not due to the MAF but something else.
Old 12-01-17, 10:28 PM
coug66
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
I just stumbled on a "Genuine" Toyota MAF Sensor (22204-22010) on eBay for $21.50.
Any thoughts? It's listed as NEW and ships from Florida. I get the feeling it's an overseas seller but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not genuine...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Denso-T....c100033.m2042
I bought this one installed and had no issues. It has the same markings as factory and came in package with id bar code from Toyota.

Cheap and works just fine. I have two MAFs in the glove box and can swap in minute or two.

Last edited by coug66; 12-05-17 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-04-17, 07:03 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I don't have the time to interegate every vendor, but I'm certain the only genuine, authentic MAFs out there for our cars are from Toyota, Lexus, or a reliable vendor through a Toyota or Lexus dealership. Also, Denso will work and can be bought at a number of brick and mortar retailers but be prepared to spend close to $100 or more. I'm sure there are deals out there, but 25 bucks is a stupid price for a MAF and I'd stay away from one. Once again... if it's too good to be true? It's not. [/B]
I'll do the hard work on behalf of the members here and will let everyone know if/when I find a new OEM Toyota/Denso MAF for a good price. It isn't costing me any money and only a few seconds of my time. In fact, I have gained 2 free spare MAFs from my exercise so far. My next MAF should arrive between Dec15 and Jan25.

Coug66 and many other people on the Internet have reported use of aftermarket MAFs with no ill effects. I just prefer to use genuine Toyota/Denso for something like this, and I will keep claiming these full refunds until I find someone who is competent enough to send a part that matches their item description.
The following 2 users liked this post by StanVanDam:
Jabberwock (12-04-17), omar804 (10-12-19)
Old 12-05-17, 02:37 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
I'll do the hard work on behalf of the members here and will let everyone know if/when I find a new OEM Toyota/Denso MAF for a good price. It isn't costing me any money and only a few seconds of my time. In fact, I have gained 2 free spare MAFs from my exercise so far. My next MAF should arrive between Dec15 and Jan25.

Coug66 and many other people on the Internet have reported use of aftermarket MAFs with no ill effects. I just prefer to use genuine Toyota/Denso for something like this, and I will keep claiming these full refunds until I find someone who is competent enough to send a part that matches their item description.
The closest I've come to OEM is Amazon for Denso and/or Rock Auto for Denso. Yes Denso may very well be the manufacturer for the OEM dealer part, but with Denso's name and product number on the part. Amazon is about $68 and Rock Auto is $75. These parts are indeed made in Japan. The inexpensive items listed on this thread are made in China. We are talking about our fuel injection system and I'm not going with anything other than OEM. Although no new codes have popped up since my Indy cleared PO171 and P0174 (system too lean for Bank 1 and Bank 2) my car's acceleration is at times not linear and instead erratic. I don't like throwing parts at my car but for $68 or $75 I could be a hero if it were to work and rich a day later. If the CEL reappears I'm going to Lexus for the $99 diagnosis.

I went with Rock Auto. Denso. Made in Japan. $69+ with snail mail and $75 with DHL 2 days. If it doesn't help, at least I know I got OEM or very close. If I purchased the cheap chinese and didn't work, I would not know if the product was crappy. The $50 difference is my gamble/insurance. Not alot to worry about it. The worst scenario if all is the same.... I have a brand new MAF.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 12-05-17 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-05-17, 05:46 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Replacing parts is probably a poor choice without expert diagnosis as technology suggests that there can be a plethora of areas causing the same problem and guessing can be just throwing the dice and ultimately throwing money out the window. Unless there is a known issue for a particular car, no reason to guess what replacement part might work. For the LS430... since new, the 02 sensors were a common problem. I have replaced one (4 sensors total) years ago. It was bank 2 sensor 1. Now I'm not sure and just threw the dice for a MAF... which most likely isn't the cause. Bottom line is to find a trust worthy shop to do repairs and diagnostics. Unfortunately... diagnostics have turned almost totally to the dealerships with the best equipment to find issues. And as a result, if the problem can even be found, repair costs can be excessive. Thus... reasons for loyal owners of their cherished cars are finally abandoning them.
Old 12-07-17, 02:46 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I just received a Denso MAF for my LS430 from a well known vendor on line that does quite a bit of advertising on TV etc. Clearly on the description picture it says made in Japan. When opening the package, the MAF comes in a Denso box and on the side of this box there is a label saying made in Vietnam. Back to the post office and back to the vendor. Why isn't anything represented correctly? When I purchased my front wheel bearing hub from Koyo which manufactures the hub for Lexus/Toyota it said clearly on the box, Made in Japan. Unfortunately I have to eat the shipping although I shouldn't have to because of misrepresentation. However, there is no one to speak to, so I guess I'm biting the bullet on this one. I'll keep searching.

Quick Reply: MAF Sensor too good to be true...?