LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Low tire & red triangle message - tried everything

Old 08-12-17, 02:38 PM
djs123
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Low tire & red triangle message - tried everything

I've had the red triangle and maintenance required message come up in the past and was able to eliminate both by the directions i received from Tom below.....however this fix does not work for the low tire pressure notice. I've read the book and can find no way of eliminating the message. Even though my tire pressure has been corrected and all tires are fine, still indicates "low tire" "maintenance required."
Would appreciate your help. I've been working on this for weeks!
Thanks

"The best explanation to clear the red triangle (and to reset the engine oil change information when the message shows "Maint. Reqd.") is found on page 267 of the Owner's Manual. With the ignition "on" push the trip meter to show blank (neither A nor B trip info.). Turn ignition "off." Then, while pressing and holding the trip meter reset button, turn the ignition "on." Keep pressing and holding the reset button for longer than 5 seconds until the "mileage reset" appears on the display and a warning tone sounds. That's it."
Old 08-12-17, 02:40 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Check your spare pressure?
The following users liked this post:
801hitman (06-04-21)
Old 08-12-17, 02:46 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

tire pressure reset button is under the dash above the accelerator pedal. push button and hold until the system resets. manual page 369
The following 3 users liked this post by JffGRY706:
801hitman (06-04-21), gailr42 (08-13-17), gonzo6869 (08-13-23)
Old 08-12-17, 03:40 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by djs123
Even though my tire pressure has been corrected and all tires are fine, still indicates "low tire" "maintenance required."
Would appreciate your help. I've been working on this for weeks!
Thanks
Please take a look at Post #3 in the link below...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...tion-tpms.html
Old 08-12-17, 05:45 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Check your spare pressure?
The LS430 uses an indirect ABS based wheel rotation measurement system to indirectly infer if a tire has lost pressure by comparing its rotation speed with the other mounted tires. It has zero idea what actual air pressure is in the tires. There are no pressure monitors in the tires on the LS430 and the system has no idea if a spare is even in the car.
Old 08-13-17, 10:17 AM
djs123
Rookie

Default Low tire - red triangle maint required light

I should have mentioned that my lexus is a 2006. I looked in the manual for the fix suggested but that was for a 2005 ls. I looked above the accelerator and see nothing I can push but a button that says "KEY". Interestingly, when you push that in, the car won't start even with the key in the car. May be part of the security system. There is a dial next to that, but it simply turns and is not titled. I turned it but it didn't appear to do anything.
Here are photos of the area.
Thanks for your help. This forum is a life saver.

Low tire & red triangle message - tried everything-img_9894.jpgLow tire & red triangle message - tried everything-img_9898-2.jpg
Old 08-13-17, 11:08 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

You manage to push the button to enable/disable the SmartKey system. That's why the key stopped working. The tire reset button is right next to the SmartKey button. You can see it in your photo. That's the button you need to press when resetting the tire monitoring system.

Make sure you have your tires at the same pressure before you reset...
Old 08-13-17, 11:11 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Forgot to add, there should be no difference between 05 and 06 LSs.

The **** that you turned controls the volume of the beeps that you hear when you lock or open your doors...
Old 08-13-17, 11:48 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have been through this and tried inflating all the tires up to 45PSI with the car running. I then go around and deflate each tire to 35PSI and then drive it a few miles. This has worked for me. I did not have to push the button.

You do know that if you push the tire reset button that you need to let the car idle and cycle for around 20 minutes. It does not reset immediately. Good luck.
Old 08-13-17, 12:12 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Originally Posted by XJSFan
You do know that if you push the tire reset button that you need to let the car idle and cycle for around 20 minutes.
Don't waste your gas idling your car. From the TSB provided by RKW in the previous post:

While TPWS initialization is in progress, the tire pressure is not being monitored. After the customer drives the vehicle under normal conditions for 30 – 60 minutes, initialization of the TPWS ECU will be complete and the system will begin monitoring tire pressure.

I just hold the reset switch until I get the initialization message and then I forget about it because at that point the triangle and warning message are gone...
Old 08-13-17, 05:54 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 136 Likes on 102 Posts

Yes, the spare tire is NOT monitored. I had a mechanic at an indie isist thatwas the problem. IT ISNT. Also tere are no tire pressure sensors in the tires, NO, NONE!!! The system measures pressure by the diameter of the tire. What it does is measure the RPM of each wheel and if the RPM of one of them goes up it means that wheel has decreased in diameter and has to go faster to cover the same distance. So, the pressure must have decreased.

The button under the dash above the accelerator is one of TWO buttons in that location. One turns off/on the smart key. The car will still work if you insert the key in the socket, but the smart features wont work if that button is pressed. I think that button is the one toward the firewall. The button toward the dash is the one for the pressure sensor.

The idiots at the indie fixed a flat then pressed the wrong button then told me the spare must be flat. I got out the manual and studied it carefully and a mirror to see the two buttons and cured all the problems. Indies are idiots. Took less than 13 seconds to fix what they screwed up and could not fix.

ALSO, if you change a wheel or put on a non matching tire it will say the pressure is off. But when you "reset" it, it will learn the new wheel, but when you change back it will have to be reset AGAIN. Best is to use all the same kind and age tire.

You can make it "learn" ANY configuration...i.e. all.tires at different.presures, so make sure that all is well, all pressures correct, before you "reset" it to "learn" your wheel speeds.

Last edited by jimisbell; 08-13-17 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-13-17, 07:15 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

It seems like when I had this issue, I had to "reset" with that button twice every time I had a tire repaired. So you get the "warning" message on your dash, you then "clear" it by holding that tire reset button, then once again after that message has been cleared, you once again hold the reset button one more time to initialize the tire pressure.

Maybe I just did it wrong, but every time it took 2 times with that reset button and the tire shop never knew how to do it.
Old 08-14-17, 12:06 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

The pressure is actually monitored by the speed of the wheel:

From the TSB: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...ing-system.pdf

While the vehicle is in motion, the Tire Pressure Warning System (TPWS) monitors the wheel speed signals that are output by the speed sensors for the brake control system.

The system informs the driver if it detects low tire pressure in one or more of the tires.

See this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...1903-tpms.html
Old 08-14-17, 05:49 PM
djs123
Rookie

Default Low tire - red triangle maint required light update

What would I do without all of you and this fabulous site!

I finally found the button to push and it seems to have done the trick! If that didn't work I was going to blow the tires up to 45 and bring that back down, but seems fine so far. Hopefully, when I start the car in the morning it will still be gone and hopefully, you won't hear from me....stay tuned.

PS - Have a big bump on my head from going under the dashboard & steering wheel so many times.
The following users liked this post:
trovergraywilson (07-31-23)
Old 08-14-17, 07:58 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 136 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by djs123
What would I do without all of you and this fabulous site!

I finally found the button to push and it seems to have done the trick! If that didn't work I was going to blow the tires up to 45 and bring that back down, but seems fine so far. Hopefully, when I start the car in the morning it will still be gone and hopefully, you won't hear from me....stay tuned.

PS - Have a big bump on my head from going under the dashboard & steering wheel so many times.
Blowing the pres to 45 and then reducing the pressure would not have had any affect. It will "learn" what ever is the case when it is "reset" !!! That is why you need to make sure the tires are where you want them when you press that button. If they are all flat when you reset, it will learn that as "normal" !! You really dont want that!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low tire & red triangle message - tried everything