LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Barely Got To Know Her

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-17, 02:47 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Condolences on your loss. We love these LS's but our loved ones are at the top of the list. That is one reason you bought the LS - crash worthiness. Hope you make out on a good insurance settlement for your wife's PI damages, as well as personal property loss. It surely could've been much worse.
Old 07-23-17, 03:33 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

First off, with a collision of that magnitude and the air bags deploying your wife survived but highly doubtful she is "okay". My wife got rear ended back in January (and another not nearly as bad an event in April) and needed to go to Physical Therapy for her neck and shoulders. She still is taking pain meds, too. (This was in her LS460).

The insurance company challenges now begin. Neither of the wife's events were her fault and we got the car repaired both times but hassles like car rentals, medical coverage, and deductibles will start..... The police report and their findings are critical. The lawyer idea may be applicable.

Locating another 430 will be difficult but compared to what your wife will need to get through to recover physically and mentally (my wife did not want to drive for over 2 weeks..) will be more important.
The following users liked this post:
Jabberwock (07-23-17)
Old 07-24-17, 12:33 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
Condolences on your loss. We love these LS's but our loved ones are at the top of the list. That is one reason you bought the LS - crash worthiness. Hope you make out on a good insurance settlement for your wife's PI damages, as well as personal property loss. It surely could've been much worse.
Thanks for the thoughts. And that is one of the reasons why I like big luxury cars. I figure it's more protection in case of an accident like this one. Not to take anything away from the GS but I don't know if it would of held up as well after taking a hit like the LS did. I'm sure it's a pretty safe car since it has more airbags though.

Originally Posted by Duck05
First off, with a collision of that magnitude and the air bags deploying your wife survived but highly doubtful she is "okay". My wife got rear ended back in January (and another not nearly as bad an event in April) and needed to go to Physical Therapy for her neck and shoulders. She still is taking pain meds, too. (This was in her LS460).

The insurance company challenges now begin. Neither of the wife's events were her fault and we got the car repaired both times but hassles like car rentals, medical coverage, and deductibles will start..... The police report and their findings are critical. The lawyer idea may be applicable.

Locating another 430 will be difficult but compared to what your wife will need to get through to recover physically and mentally (my wife did not want to drive for over 2 weeks..) will be more important.
She's far from ok but that was the only word that came to mind. I'm just glad she's ALIVE. She has all the same aches as your wife and more. Today she was complaining about her chest so I'll most likely take her back to the ER. I'm gearing up for the tussle with the insurance company to recoup as much for the car as I can so we'll see what happens. Right now she doesn't even want to ride in a car so that's another issue that's looming.
Old 07-24-17, 04:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
Thanks for the thoughts. And that is one of the reasons why I like big luxury cars. I figure it's more protection in case of an accident like this one. Not to take anything away from the GS but I don't know if it would of held up as well after taking a hit like the LS did. I'm sure it's a pretty safe car since it has more airbags though.

She's far from ok but that was the only word that came to mind. I'm just glad she's ALIVE. She has all the same aches as your wife and more. Today she was complaining about her chest so I'll most likely take her back to the ER. I'm gearing up for the tussle with the insurance company to recoup as much for the car as I can so we'll see what happens. Right now she doesn't even want to ride in a car so that's another issue that's looming.
Again maybe off the wall, but I thought of this analogy...a weekend ago we went to a kid's bday party, and the kids were swimming. My son loves the water and he was diving in, getting back out, diving again. One kid goes, "How old is he?" I said 3. The kid goes, "What's he doing in the water?"

A friend's kid is 6. His mom said c'mon, dive in! So he tried, but every time he was about to do it, he turned and grabbed the side of the pool. Another parent said don't do that Brayden, you can get hurt. It made me think, right now, the kid is just not ready to jump. He's a smart kid and physically strong, so there's really no reason why he couldn't, but he's just not ready. I think this is all normal, meaning it's normal for your wife to be averse from driving and riding in a car. But over time she will likely realize she's driven a long time, everything was fine, and she'll be ok. But she needs time to get over this event, and there's nothing wrong with that. I guess since we all love our cars, we think it's a shame to have an accident happen to someone else's LS....but again the fact that the driver is ok really I hate to now use this word but it trumps everything else....
Old 07-24-17, 12:11 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Again maybe off the wall, but I thought of this analogy...a weekend ago we went to a kid's bday party, and the kids were swimming. My son loves the water and he was diving in, getting back out, diving again. One kid goes, "How old is he?" I said 3. The kid goes, "What's he doing in the water?"

A friend's kid is 6. His mom said c'mon, dive in! So he tried, but every time he was about to do it, he turned and grabbed the side of the pool. Another parent said don't do that Brayden, you can get hurt. It made me think, right now, the kid is just not ready to jump. He's a smart kid and physically strong, so there's really no reason why he couldn't, but he's just not ready. I think this is all normal, meaning it's normal for your wife to be averse from driving and riding in a car. But over time she will likely realize she's driven a long time, everything was fine, and she'll be ok. But she needs time to get over this event, and there's nothing wrong with that. I guess since we all love our cars, we think it's a shame to have an accident happen to someone else's LS....but again the fact that the driver is ok really I hate to now use this word but it trumps everything else....
Hey it's always nice to read your posts. I told her it will take some time to get comfortable in a car again and that it's ok. She told me her legs were hurting and she had a lump. I figure she banged it on the steering column but I noticed an airbag deployed from underneath the steering column which I didn't even know was there.

I got the police report and it states the other driver was at fault and that he ran the so sign. He tried to claim my wife hit the front of his car but the cop knew better and started that he hit my wife in the right side and knocked her into the utility pole. Hopefully I don't have to go back and forth with the insurance company considering his claim.
Old 10-04-17, 02:35 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

So, I moved up to a 460 and I must say I'm a believer just like I was when I moved up to the 430. The 1st and 2nd gen ppl resist up to the 430 and the 430 ppl resist moving to the 460, that's just the way it is around CL. I did something That I said I would not do because I could not find a decent 460L in my area. Well I did find one but I looked at it on a Saturday and called back on Tuesday and it was gone. I flew out to Chicago yesterday morning and drove the car 800 miles back home. My 430 was nice but everything in the 460 is a tad better plus it gets better gas mileage. I averaged 29 mpg at 75mph for most of the trip . I drove through ILL, Indiana, Ohio, PA and finally into Jersey on 80E the whole way. Just wanted to share the end result of this thread.
Old 10-04-17, 03:11 PM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Congratulations on the 460. Enjoy it. Hope the wife is feeling better.
Old 10-04-17, 05:26 PM
Duck05
Racer

The 430 and 460 are both nice platforms; finding a suitable 430 is becoming harder and harder to do especially for the '04-06s....

The 460 is a step up in most aspects and there is plenty of information and comparisons to read. We still own both so we can compare them all the time.

More important is your wife and her recovery. Hope all is well as can be expected given the circumstance. She should be fine in your 460 as it is and does feel "larger" than the 430 and drives as such....
Old 10-04-17, 08:14 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

The wife is doing ok but she is starting to complain more about aches and pains associated with the accident..In my mind I expect her to be better since it's been 2 1/2 months but then I look at pics of the car and remember that it was a very violent accident.
Old 10-05-17, 09:36 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Nice to hear you got a good replacement. It's also good to here real feedback about going to an LS460. I'm still contemplating stepping to a LS460 in the next couple of years when my middle son starts driving. He might be getting my LS430 and I'll get a new to me LS460. Prices are starting to drop on the 2010-2012 LS460 and there will probably be good deals to had over the next year or so with the LS500 coming out. Heck in two years the price of the 2013+ LS460 will probably be down in my price range. My goal would be to have an 2013+ LS460L with the 2010-2012 5-spoke wheels but I could easily work with a 2010-2012 as well.
Old 10-05-17, 01:48 PM
Duck05
Racer

The wife is doing ok but she is starting to complain more about aches and pains associated with the accident..In my mind I expect her to be better since it's been 2 1/2 months but then I look at pics of the car and remember that it was a very violent accident.
My wife is still doing PT (M W F this week) after 9 months. Hits like these are no minor events...
Old 10-05-17, 03:17 PM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
Nice to hear you got a good replacement. It's also good to here real feedback about going to an LS460. I'm still contemplating stepping to a LS460 in the next couple of years when my middle son starts driving. He might be getting my LS430 and I'll get a new to me LS460. Prices are starting to drop on the 2010-2012 LS460 and there will probably be good deals to had over the next year or so with the LS500 coming out. Heck in two years the price of the 2013+ LS460 will probably be down in my price range. My goal would be to have an 2013+ LS460L with the 2010-2012 5-spoke wheels but I could easily work with a 2010-2012 as well.
The LS is too big a boat for a first car. Maybe an is or something. Let him work up to the LS430. Save it for his Junior year in college at least. Not a first car.
Old 10-05-17, 03:29 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been contemplating installing a GoPro for a while and the only thing that has stopped me is that they cost too much.
Sorry for what happened glad your wife is ok. If you are looking for a camera to put in your car look up dash cams. There are a lot out there and they are cheaper than a GoPro. I got two in my LS400 and let's just say I had some close calls (Here is a video clip:
). Hope your wife gets well soon.
Old 10-05-17, 04:00 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by imdking
The LS is too big a boat for a first car. Maybe an is or something. Let him work up to the LS430. Save it for his Junior year in college at least. Not a first car.
Well, it's kind of a grampa car to them anyways but it will be worth more to me than to try to sell it. Another option I'm thinking of is giving it to my oldest then since he will be going to college and make him let his brother drive the GS I bought for them. I'm sure things will change over the next year or two.

I will say that my oldest drove my LS on and off for over a year while he was permit driving and he seems to be handling it just fine.
Old 10-06-17, 07:27 AM
NLLex
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Despite the fact that an accident is the worst thing that can happen, i,m glad that you were in one of the safest cars in the world! I wish you and your wife all the best and hope you can leave this behind soon.

Quick Reply: Barely Got To Know Her