LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Recently bought my dream car: 2006 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-17, 06:06 PM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you Jabberwock for the tip to erase all the keys I don't have. I will be sure to have the dealer do that for me. I don't think I wanna spend the time on the process of pushing buttons and inserting-key combinations, so I will take it to the dealership once I get the car tittled.

Last edited by imdking; 07-21-17 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-20-17, 08:47 PM
lildann
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Programming a new key on LS430 or SC430 is a two part process. First the key itself is programmed (registered) with the car's ECM. That is a fairly easy process. Second and totally separate step is to then program (register) the specific electronics and unique ID of the keyfob into the car's ECM. The process is easy using techstream. The manual process (non techstream) is doable, but more complicated and not easy or intuitive.

Both sets of manual programming steps are available on the forum (use search). They involve a bizarre series of steps consisting of unlocking, locking, opening and closing doors and inserting and removing keys all in a short period of time. It can be done but usually takes multiple efforts. I registered my new key on the SC430 in 4-5 attempts but registering the fob took 20-30 attempts to get right.

Be aware that there is a limit of I think of 4 keys and fobs that can be registered. If the ECM is at its max it likely is better to have dealer remove the extra non present keys and add your new key.
Unfortunately, this is not entirely true. The SC430 and LS430 with smart keys do not have the same process to program keys nor do they use the same keys. On a LS430 with smart key, it's a three step process. You have to program the immobilizer to the ECM, program the wireless/smart functions and also program the key to the steering lock. I've seen where the steering lock didn't get programmed and the car is undriveable and won't start. Also, there are two smart keys for a LS430. One is a normal smart key and one is the valet smart key. The only way that you can tell the difference on the OEM keys it that the Valet key will not have a trunk button on it. The start and wireless function work the same but you can't get into the trunk.
Old 07-21-17, 04:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by lildann
Unfortunately, this is not entirely true. The SC430 and LS430 with smart keys do not have the same process to program keys nor do they use the same keys. On a LS430 with smart key, it's a three step process. You have to program the immobilizer to the ECM, program the wireless/smart functions and also program the key to the steering lock. I've seen where the steering lock didn't get programmed and the car is undriveable and won't start. Also, there are two smart keys for a LS430. One is a normal smart key and one is the valet smart key. The only way that you can tell the difference on the OEM keys it that the Valet key will not have a trunk button on it. The start and wireless function work the same but you can't get into the trunk.
This is interesting info....I hate the sound from the steering lock turning the car off, or on... meaning it's mechanical and like anything else, could wear or break (looking at the write up of the 2006 BMW 3 Series, the motors look as cheap as the door actuator ones on the LS, like toy motors)...

What I was gonna do if I wanted to spend the money, was to get the new fob for $90 on eBay, and then just switch the internal, BUT also get the key cut. So I use my old guts/electronics, but gain a working switchblade key (this is needed when the battery dies in the fob)
Old 07-21-17, 06:10 AM
lildann
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
This is interesting info....I hate the sound from the steering lock turning the car off, or on... meaning it's mechanical and like anything else, could wear or break (looking at the write up of the 2006 BMW 3 Series, the motors look as cheap as the door actuator ones on the LS, like toy motors)...

What I was gonna do if I wanted to spend the money, was to get the new fob for $90 on eBay, and then just switch the internal, BUT also get the key cut. So I use my old guts/electronics, but gain a working switchblade key (this is needed when the battery dies in the fob)
I know that some of the dealers near me won't cut a key that isn't from them. I once bought a blue key for my 98 GS300 and they wouldn't cut it. They said that those mess up their cutting bits. But maybe it's different now. That was like 6 or so years ago.
Old 07-21-17, 06:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I know that some of the dealers near me won't cut a key that isn't from them. I once bought a blue key for my 98 GS300 and they wouldn't cut it. They said that those mess up their cutting bits. But maybe it's different now. That was like 6 or so years ago.
Gotcha, once again, not about the customer, but profits....I have two working master keys, just that one broke upon replacing the battery (the spring part that locks the key outward), so I figure there's a chance the other could break too (battery replaced by me and ok for now).....I could see the dealer by me refusing to do anything, they wouldn't even order touch up paint without full payment by coming in person, what a joke lol Hint: You would be surprised, little things like that, charging $2.xx on a $0.9x part, they could add up to losing on car sales and maintenance. Although the reality is they are packed, prime location, and not a single place to park a car.....
Old 07-21-17, 07:33 AM
imdking
Pole Position

I got the same response from one of my local dealerships. If it's not from them, they won't cut it. I would probably have to bring the receipt from Bell Lexus with me. The main thing is to get the fob programmed.
Old 07-21-17, 12:22 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

lildan is correct. I forgot about the smart key on the LS430. I did want to enumerate that the manual process for programming keys is multi step in the LS and SC and somewhat difficult to complete.
Old 07-21-17, 12:25 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by imdking
I got the same response from one of my local dealerships. If it's not from them, they won't cut it. I would probably have to bring the receipt from Bell Lexus with me. The main thing is to get the fob programmed.
The local Lexus dealer should have no issue cutting an OEM Lexus key blank, ask to speak to a manager and explain you have an OEM Lexus key purchased from Lexus. There are dealers who refuse to cut internet sourced/purchased "clone" keys that are not Lexus OEM. Many of these keys are junk.
Old 07-21-17, 01:16 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Again, I have only got to two dealerships for a paid service, and 3 total if you include over the counter parts. I think Lexus is not consistent. I have seen online that some dealers install customer provided parts? I have never heard of that. From a business sense, it's the markup/margin and tying up a technician. From a quality standpoint, you and I don't mind eBay parts from a distributor, but the mother ship should be discouraging that practice, let alone having franchisees installing them. Then you have the authorized dealers who sell through eBay and amazon, though prices tend to be high. There is no question that the nearest Toyota dealership to my nearest Lexus dealer installs customer provided parts. Doesn't mean they know what they're doing, either, imho new car dealers need to be consistent as they are franchises....
Old 07-21-17, 02:59 PM
imdking
Pole Position

I have these stains on the wheels, that I thought were brake dust, but now I'm not so sure. They look like they are tire stains - as if something was sprayed on the tire, and it ran down all the wheels. They look like they are on there really good!

And yes, all 4 wheels have it. It runs down from one side, through the center, and to the other side.

Last edited by imdking; 07-21-17 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-21-17, 05:38 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Have you tried cleaning the wheels? If so, what did you do?
Old 07-21-17, 08:35 PM
imdking
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Have you tried cleaning the wheels? If so, what did you do?
I used the Armor all extreme wheel cleaner. I went to the local coin op. car wash, because the cleaner says to hose the foam down after 30 seconds. I didn't wanna chance ruining the paint on the wheels by leaving the foam on them longer.

Will try again this weekend. If it doesn't work, I'm looking to get 20" wheels next spring anyway. Yes, I had a brush.
Old 07-22-17, 01:19 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

there is a button under the dash above the accelerator pedal to turn on/off the smart key system, make sure it is in the right position for the system to be on. I have used mr clean magic erasers to remove permanent marker from lockers at work. might work on the stains on your wheels.
Old 07-22-17, 04:46 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Nice your car came with Michelins....they gave you that little pouch with the wheel lock key, right? If I had a spare lug nut I'd remove them, but I suppose as long as we're careful not to lose the key, we're ok (have watched YouTubes on how they remove without). My mom had to pay the dealer something like $140 to remove hers since she wasn't given the key and she got a flat....
Old 07-22-17, 10:14 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Nice your car came with Michelins....they gave you that little pouch with the wheel lock key, right? If I had a spare lug nut I'd remove them, but I suppose as long as we're careful not to lose the key, we're ok (have watched YouTubes on how they remove without). My mom had to pay the dealer something like $140 to remove hers since she wasn't given the key and she got a flat....
Maybe I'll watch that YouTube to see. What's it called? Am curious how it's done. My local Goodyear dealer makes lots of $$ dealing w/ lost keys. Another big $$$ maker is large tires w/ tiny sidewalls. They flat all the time.

Quick Reply: Recently bought my dream car: 2006 LS430