LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How much would the estimated yearly maintenance/repair cost on a ls430?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-17, 03:57 PM
fenixnano
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much would the estimated yearly maintenance/repair cost on a ls430?

Hey guys
Nice to find this forum. I've been reading threads here for a few days. it's really nice people here!

One guy in our school is selling his LS430, it's a 2002 model and have some 160k miles on it,
he's selling it for $5000, sounds like a deal?
I'm not a daily driver, I live on campus so i'll probably hit 3000 miles in one year.
I know Lexus are well know for the reliability, but I also heard it's pretty expensive to repair a LS when it does break down.
So my major concern is, how much should I estimate on the maintenance and repairment? which would contains two parts:
Q1: how much would it cost if just routinely maintenance?
I think I can do the oil change by myself, but for more difficult maintenance I would need to go to a mechanic.
Q2: generally, what's the odd for it to break down? and how much would it cost if it does?
(moneywise I can handle a $3000 repair if it's a 1% or 2% chance, but it it's more like a some 20% or 30% chance of breaking down in a period of one year or 2, maybe I'll just go get a newer ES or camry for the cheaper repair LOL)

Q3: personally, how much did you spend on the maintenance( including oil change, but not including gas consumption) on your LS430?
(or any lexus model would help)

btw, the car looks nice, but he doesn't have a maintenance record for it. he said he have the timing belt changed, so
Q4: is there anything else I should pay special attention to? is there any part that are "supposed to break" after 15 or 20 years?
(I'm in arizona so it's hot and never snow)

Thank you!
Old 07-06-17, 04:27 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Win Win or deal

it could be as trouble free as a Camry. But You Wanna look for 1 or 2 owners full history and a Lexus inspection. Best ones are older drivers
Old 07-06-17, 05:32 PM
fenixnano
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by warminwisc
it could be as trouble free as a Camry. But You Wanna look for 1 or 2 owners full history and a Lexus inspection. Best ones are older drivers
Thank you!
I think Camry have a good reputation of both reliability and cheap fix. So I'm not expecting to maintain a lexus as cheap as camry. I just wonder how much difference would it be in the long run.
Old 07-06-17, 06:21 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

U mentioned no maintenence record from a college student, most of us here would pass.
Old 07-06-17, 06:23 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2006 Ultra cost me $25K in total maintenance from new to 360,000 miles, over 8 years of ownership = $3,125 per year.
Old 07-06-17, 08:29 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

I got my first LS430 a little over 2 years ago. It had 112k miles on it and I knew the owner and I was able to look up the service history on it through the Lexus website. All I did to that one was oil/filter change ever 6k miles myself for about $30 (synthetic oil and quality filter). Changed all of the brake pads myself for about $200 (NAPA premium). Changed the spark plugs myself for $60. Had the transmission drained/refilled for $150 and brake fluid flush for $140 at a Lexus independent mechanic. That was it. Car was totaled by hail with 135k miles and right at 2 years of ownership. Looking back and after reading some posts, I think my bushings were in need of replacement, nothing that had to be done but it did make an occasional bushing squeak. I'm betting I would have gone a while without any other major costs.

I like that one some much that I went looking for another LS430 as soon as I got the word that the insurance was going to total it. About 2 months ago I found another one owner, 110k miles, with a decent service history with Lexus. All the major stuff had been done within about 20k miles (timing belt, all brake pads, regular power steering and rear end fluid changes). I did have to fix some stuff myself like the front door locks, hood shocks, console lid repair, headlight restoration, and had some dents taken care of with PDR. I then had the same transmission and brake fluid service like above along with a 4-wheel alignment just to make sure all was covered and everything seems to be solid on the car and it runs perfect. The only downside is I had to go a little color blind and accept a color I'm not 100% thrilled with like my first LS430, still it's a good looking car IMO. The only thing I for see from here besides basic maintenance is the spark plugs in about another 5 or 6 months.

That all being said, if I were in your shoes, I would want to see some kind of documentation about the repairs especially the timing belt. If the car doesn't have the tag in the engine compartment (most of them that I've seen do have them) and there isn't any receipts or anything on the Lexus site, you'll have assume things weren't done. You might have to call around to get some quotes on have the timing belt done and make sure you get a list of all the other stuff that includes, thinks like water pump replacement. You may have to have the guy come down some to help cover some of those costs. At my mechanic who I would want to do the timing belt on my car, he charges $1,400 which is a little high for an independent but I would be willing to pay it because I know he would stand behind the work.

If this guy's LS doesn't work out just keep looking. I know it's not the same car and I personally would prefer an LS but I've been looking at an '00 - '05 GS300 for my 16 yr old son's first car. I've seen a good handful with 150k for about $5k and 180k for about $3.5 - $4k.
Old 07-07-17, 11:30 AM
fenixnano
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by L8RSk8R
My 2006 Ultra cost me $25K in total maintenance from new to 360,000 miles, over 8 years of ownership = $3,125 per year.
wow
360k miles! that sounds like some record!

so do you still remember which parts did break down over the years?
Old 07-07-17, 11:51 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

My 2006 with 98k miles has total cost of $1200 in repairs (front shocks and LCA bushings). Had a driver side mirror replace free under warranty. Also spent $1,100 on timing belt, water pump and serpentine belt at dealer but I consider this cost purely maint and not repair. All other costs has been routine maint for fluid and filter changes and brake pads all of which I have diy'd and have been minimal parts cost.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 07-07-17 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-07-17, 11:58 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
I got my first LS430 a little over 2 years ago. It had 112k miles on it and I knew the owner and I was able to look up the service history on it through the Lexus website. All I did to that one was oil/filter change ever 6k miles myself for about $30 (synthetic oil and quality filter). Changed all of the brake pads myself for about $200 (NAPA premium). Changed the spark plugs myself for $60. Had the transmission drained/refilled for $150 and brake fluid flush for $140 at a Lexus independent mechanic. That was it. Car was totaled by hail with 135k miles and right at 2 years of ownership. Looking back and after reading some posts, I think my bushings were in need of replacement, nothing that had to be done but it did make an occasional bushing squeak. I'm betting I would have gone a while without any other major costs.

I like that one some much that I went looking for another LS430 as soon as I got the word that the insurance was going to total it. About 2 months ago I found another one owner, 110k miles, with a decent service history with Lexus. All the major stuff had been done within about 20k miles (timing belt, all brake pads, regular power steering and rear end fluid changes). I did have to fix some stuff myself like the front door locks, hood shocks, console lid repair, headlight restoration, and had some dents taken care of with PDR. I then had the same transmission and brake fluid service like above along with a 4-wheel alignment just to make sure all was covered and everything seems to be solid on the car and it runs perfect. The only downside is I had to go a little color blind and accept a color I'm not 100% thrilled with like my first LS430, still it's a good looking car IMO. The only thing I for see from here besides basic maintenance is the spark plugs in about another 5 or 6 months.

That all being said, if I were in your shoes, I would want to see some kind of documentation about the repairs especially the timing belt. If the car doesn't have the tag in the engine compartment (most of them that I've seen do have them) and there isn't any receipts or anything on the Lexus site, you'll have assume things weren't done. You might have to call around to get some quotes on have the timing belt done and make sure you get a list of all the other stuff that includes, thinks like water pump replacement. You may have to have the guy come down some to help cover some of those costs. At my mechanic who I would want to do the timing belt on my car, he charges $1,400 which is a little high for an independent but I would be willing to pay it because I know he would stand behind the work.

If this guy's LS doesn't work out just keep looking. I know it's not the same car and I personally would prefer an LS but I've been looking at an '00 - '05 GS300 for my 16 yr old son's first car. I've seen a good handful with 150k for about $5k and 180k for about $3.5 - $4k.
How does this car respond to PDR? I've had 3 done on the BMW, and one surprised me. It was in the lower corner of the door. The guy told me it's pretty easy with these cars as the metal is great, MB as well. I wouldn't have been able to do it on a Hyundai (is that true or stereotype). Knock on wood I have only one tiny ding the size of a pin, but if someone ever nabbed me, I'd consider getting it PDR'd.

I may break down and do the brake fluid myself next time--Lexus got me for $59, and I think they did the turkey baster method, not pushing clean fluid out every caliper. If your indie did that, well worth the $140. I have a Motive but just don't have the adapter for Japanese cars.

My indie gets $850 for the timing belt but they state they've done it so many times they're very familiar, and they put all the old parts back into the Aisin box. This included the tensioner and idler pulleys, which I believe is an every other at the dealer, who gets $1400.,,,and $1800 respectively...
Old 07-07-17, 02:05 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fenixnano
wow
360k miles! that sounds like some record!

so do you still remember which parts did break down over the years?
Air struts were the biggest issue. Spent about $6K at dealership to have them replaced. Then replaced 2 more myself with used struts.
Old 07-07-17, 04:30 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Actually without reading all the posts I would say depending on condition, mileage, and service records could be very little to thousands+ and even more for yearly service cost. These are definitely high maintenance cars and can still be driven for quite some time without the proper maintenance, but if you want to keep you car for a longer period of time.... plan on spending... there is no way around it. and our cars are now all old so even with low mileage have money put away. Good luck.
Old 07-07-17, 04:32 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
U mentioned no maintenence record from a college student, most of us here would pass.
Agree. I don't think it's a good idea to buy an LS w/o service records. You don't know if the car's been maintained or what's been done. Hard to predict repair costs.
Old 07-07-17, 04:37 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Agree. I don't think it's a good idea to buy an LS w/o service records. You don't know if the car's been maintained or what's been done. Hard to predict repair costs.
Bingo! Can't agree more.
Old 07-08-17, 07:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

If my memory serves me, when I was perusing the 4th gen forum prior to purchasing a LS, there were some comments such as if I knew the car cost this much to repair and maintain, I would have kept my 7 series. I can't envision a 3rd gen having such repairs, and yes my experience may be less than most, but in 13k miles and 9 months on the road, I have not had any unexpected repairs. Just oil and oil filters. At this instant, the car needs nothing, I would have to invent a service if I wanted to fix anything. The other thing is this stuff is not scientific, there's not enough data on the forum to be reliable or valid, one guy with a big repair would throw everything off.

I would say, if you simply drive into a Lexus dealership every 5k as they recommend, the number will be high, but there is no need to use those numbers, these services are check this, check that, and do little, charge a lot. They charge as much if not more than BMW, and they always recommend work on old cars--this is pretty normal for a new car dealer (although I have not seen this with BMW and my car is a 2007--I did see that with Nissan always recommending unneeded work [dealer serviced for first 5 yrs to about 60k]).

I feel confident that my car is much like my Maxima was at the same age. Needs nothing but gas, tire, oils, brakes, i.e. consumables. Will it one day have something unknown break? Probably, it's just a machine. But it's unknown, not known (like on some Germans)....my .02.
Old 07-13-17, 12:11 PM
fenixnano
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by L8RSk8R
Air struts were the biggest issue. Spent about $6K at dealership to have them replaced. Then replaced 2 more myself with used struts.
so... when did you eventually decided to let it go? did you sell it? or tradein to a dealer?

actually I'm facing an interesting dilemma now.
due to my limited budget I'm looking at 2 cars, one is the one I mentioned before, which have some 160k miles but no record of service. (the guy is not very reliable, he claim to own it for 2 years but carfax tells that it had 6 owners and he had the title transferred one month ago...)
another one is a 99 gs400 which looks really new but have 300k miles... one owner, with full service record.

I know both high mileage and bad service might be problematic, but which one would be worse?
and, for the high mileage cars, would it give any sign before it suffer the engine or transmission failure? or it just won't start one day?

Quick Reply: How much would the estimated yearly maintenance/repair cost on a ls430?