LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Finally found one with low miles! What do you think about this deal fellas/gals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-17, 07:15 PM
Dacubs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally found one with low miles! What do you think about this deal fellas/gals?

2005 LS 430 Custom Luxury with 86k miles. Black on black. It does need a timing belt change and water pump change. I am going to pay $10,700 ( no tax for private sale in my State).

I am going to fly out to the sellers state to drive it back. Have been looking for an ls 430 for a few months now so I'm excited!

What do you guys think?
Old 07-06-17, 04:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Probably could better say if there's a carfax (where was it originally sold, how many owners, any accidents, maint, etc.)....my preference is to buy from a new car dealer, and get the same price as a private party (can be done imho), so it's not "as is...."

Timing belt in itself is not a concern, just figure $800 at an indie if not diy....likely need LCA bushings, tranny flush, potential driver door actuator if never been replaced and part is double on a CL....imho things to bring the price down some more...

good luck!
Old 07-06-17, 07:12 AM
Dacubs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Probably could better say if there's a carfax (where was it originally sold, how many owners, any accidents, maint, etc.)....my preference is to buy from a new car dealer, and get the same price as a private party (can be done imho), so it's not "as is...."

Timing belt in itself is not a concern, just figure $800 at an indie if not diy....likely need LCA bushings, tranny flush, potential driver door actuator if never been replaced and part is double on a CL....imho things to bring the price down some more...

good luck!
They are the only owner, maintenance every 5k miles and the leather was cleaned and conditioned everytime as well. No accidents. If I buy private sale I don't pay tax so that's why I like buying from people.

He wont go down on price though. He already went down $1k and won't budge any further.
Old 07-06-17, 08:09 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently shopping for an LS and have some remaining Auto Check reports left (which is better than Carfax). If you'd like one run, let me know. Happy to help.
Old 07-06-17, 08:17 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like it might be a great car. Suggest you get the VIN and run in Lexus Drivers to see the full service history. It's hard to find a good example of these cars. Good luck!
Old 07-06-17, 08:29 AM
biacs
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

To be devils advocate. Dont come in waving cash FULLY READY to pay full boat.

Brakes, tires, timing belt etc can cost you a few grand in the first 12-18 months maybe? And a head unit upgrade? just plan to eat some oddball costs if the car hasn't been driven much.
Great cars -but easy does it, low miles isnt the end-all be all to make a reliable daily driver.

I'd just hate to see you spend $14k+ on a car thats not worth that much.
Old 07-06-17, 08:39 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Take the emotion out of the equation. Know the car history and what you're getting yourself into. Unless you just love it, are sold, and willing to pay whatever to get this car. Then ignore all the above advice.
Good luck and hope it all works out.
Old 07-06-17, 09:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
Take the emotion out of the equation. Know the car history and what you're getting yourself into. Unless you just love it, are sold, and willing to pay whatever to get this car. Then ignore all the above advice.
Good luck and hope it all works out.
lol ok I'll delete my responses, well 1. I was quoted on the other, so too late. This is like one of those above the line, below the line deals at work.
Old 07-06-17, 09:17 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
lol ok I'll delete my responses, well 1. I was quoted on the other, so too late. This is like one of those above the line, below the line deals at work.
I think what he is telling him is that if he wants a 430 that bad and is willing to pay anything then he should ignore all the cautionary advice being given.
Old 07-06-17, 10:00 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Yeah I completely understand the emotion but it's still an expensive car to repair. Research the VIN, have a pre inspect, check everything 2x. All mirrors, all locks, CD, speakers (especially ML). Ideally bring someone else along that knows cars. Not trying to discourage here. Just saying check everything carefully.
Old 07-06-17, 10:07 AM
Dacubs
Driver School Candidate

63913 miles
date: 05/26/2010

repair# 0043161
reported by:
Service: Clean vehicle reapply exterior protectant.
Description: Clean vehicle reapply exterior protectant. ~ ~guest states solar shield reapplication ~ ~ ~ ~clean vehicle reapply exterior protectant.
Service: Loaner
description: Loaner ~ ~guest states please return loaners on time. Additional days are $95.00 ~ ~ ~ ~loaner
service: Performed 65,000 mile service
description: Performed 65,000 mile service ~ ~guest states perform 65,000 mile service ~ ~brake wear 9mm front, 8mm rear; tire wear 9/32 ~ ~performed 65,000 mile service
service: Performed throttle body service
description: Performed throttle body service ~ ~tech states there is carbon build up in throttle body. ~ ~carbon build up. Decarb throttle body ~ ~performed throttle body service
service: Removed nail and repaired tire
description: Removed nail and repaired tire ~ ~tech states left front tire has nail. Tire is repairable ~ ~nail found in left front tire. ~ ~removed nail and repaired tire
service: Replaced a/c filter and engine air filter
description: Replaced a/c filter and engine air filter ~ ~tech states a/c filter and engine air filter are filthy ~ ~both filters dirty ~ ~replaced a/c filter and engine air filter
service: Replaced battery
description: Replaced battery ~ ~tech states car battery did not pass load test. Battery is weak. ~ ~battery in poor health ~ ~replaced battery
service: Replaced key battery
description: Replaced key battery ~ ~tech states key battery inop. ~ ~tech found remote key will not unlock or lock doors. Battery dead. ~ ~replaced key battery
service: Replaced with one new lug nut
description: Replaced with one new lug nut ~ ~tech states right front lug nut missing ~ ~found a lug nut missing on right front tire ~ ~replaced with one new lug nut
50721 miles
date: 04/23/2009

repair# 0020850
reported by:
Service: Clean vehicle reapply exterior protectant.
Description: Clean vehicle reapply exterior protectant. ~ ~guest states 6 month solar shield reapplication ~ ~ ~ ~clean vehicle reapply exterior protectant.
description: Loaner ~ ~guest states please return loaners on time. Additional days are $95.00 ~ ~ ~ ~loaner
service: Performed 45,000 mile service
description: Performed 45,000 mile service ~ ~guest states perform 45,000 mile service ~ ~ ~ ~performed 45,000 mile service tech found one rear brake pad is at 2mm-it appears that guest had an outside shop replace rear brake pads but then did not replace all four and left one old pad
46039 miles
date: 12/15/2008

repair# 0013228
reported by:
Service: Clean vehicle reapply exterior and leatherprotectant.
Description: Clean vehicle reapply exterior andleather protectant. ~ ~6 month solar shield reapplication ~ ~ ~ ~clean vehicle reapply exterior and leather protectant.
description: Loaner ~ ~please return loaners on time. Additional days are $95.00 ~ ~ ~ ~loaner
service: Performed 40,000 mile service
description: Performed 40,000 mile service ~ ~guest states perform 40,000 mile service ~ ~ ~ ~performed 40,000 mile service tech found rear brake pads are worn- geust declined replacement at this time
36948 miles
date: 03/31/2008

repair# 0096679
reported by:
Service: Installed latest navigation dvd
description: Installed latest navigation dvd ~ ~guest states update nav $320.00 ~ ~ ~ ~installed latestnavigation dvd
service: Loaner
service: Performed 35,000 mile service
description: Performed 35,000 mile service ~ ~guest states perform 35,000 mile service ~ ~ ~ ~performed 35,000 mile service
32633 miles
date: 11/14/2007

repair# 0087741
reported by:
Description: Clean vehicle reapply exterior andleather protectant. ~ ~guest states 6 month solar shield reapplication ~ ~db ~ ~clean vehicle reapply exterior and leather protectant.
24785 miles
date: 05/01/2007

repair# 0074183
reported by:
Description: Clean vehicle reapply exterior andleather protectant. ~ ~customer states 6 month solar shield reapplication ~ ~db ~ ~clean vehicle reapply exterior and leather protectant.
Service: Performed engine oil lube
description: Performed engine oil lube ~ ~customer states perform engine oil lube ~ ~ ~ ~performed engine oil lube
service: Rotated tires, set air pressure to 34pdi, filled up fluids
description: Rotated tires, set air pressure to 34pdi, filled up fluids ~ ~rotate tires, set pressure top off fluids ~ ~ ~ ~rotated tires, set air pressure to 34pdi, filled up fluids
20123 miles
date: 12/27/2006

repair# 0065880
reported by:
Service: Performed 20,000 mile service
description: Performed 20,000 mile service ~ ~customer states perform 20,000 mile service ~ ~frt. Brakes 6mm , rear 9mm / tires 6/32 remaining ~ ~performed 20,000 mile service no charge to customer - per william
17732 miles
date: 11/01/2006

repair# 0062302
reported by:
Service: .
Description: . ~ ~guest request solarshield reapplication ~ ~. ~ ~.
14975 miles
date: 09/06/2006

repair# 0058577
reported by:
Service: Perform 15,000 mile service,brakes frt 8mm remaining,rear 9mm
description: Perform 15,000 mile service,brakes frt 8mm remaining,rear 9mm ~ ~perform 15,000 mile service ~ ~15k service ~ ~perform 15,000 mile service,brakes frt 8mm remaining,rear 9mm
10133 miles
date: 05/15/2006

repair# 0051192
reported by:
Service: Performed 10,000 miles service
description: Performed 10,000 miles service ~ ~perform 10,000 miles service ~ ~ ~ ~performed 10,000 miles service
8385 miles
date: 04/05/2006

repair# 0048769
reported by:
Service: Paint seal
description: Paint seal ~ ~reapply solarshield ~ ~. ~ ~paint seal
4997 miles
date: 01/23/2006

repair# 0044319
reported by:
Service: Performed 5,000 miles service
description: Performed 5,000 miles service ~ ~perform 5,000 miles service ~ ~5k ~ ~performed 5,000 miles service
service: Programmed vehicle with guests personal settings
description: Programmed vehicle with guests personal settings ~ ~guest request install lexus personal settings ~ ~lps ~ ~programmed vehicle with guests personal settings
768 miles
date: 09/28/2005

repair# 0037421
reported by:
Service: Apply exterior, interior and leatherprotectant
description: Apply exterior, interior and leatherprotectant ~ ~first application of solar shield protectant buff out scratches on right front fehder as best as possible ~ ~. ~ ~apply exterior, interior andleather protectant
Old 07-06-17, 10:08 AM
Dacubs
Driver School Candidate

Above is the lexus service history. He is going to take the car for a inspection and I will know more details of what needs to be fixed and not fixed. What do you guys think about the service history? Everything looks clean on carfax and autocheck as well.

Edit: It continued getting service but at a local mechanic once they stopped going to lexus after 65k miles
Old 07-06-17, 10:23 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Sha4000, yes, that is what I was attempting to get across. Thank you for the interpretation.

From the above, looks like fairly normal activity with no real issues...at least up until he went to an indie shop. Hope it's not the one who did the brake job.

I'd say get your funds together and go look. Know your pass/fail criteria before you go so you don't have to make hard decisions... i.e.; condition of seats, condition of exterior, additional work needed above timing belt as you already know you need that.

All used cars will require additional funds/work to get them to the comfort/performance level you desire. At least that's my experience. Hopefully you've looked at a few locally to know that you should be looking for and what's acceptable to you.
Sounds like a possible great start to a new ride. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-06-17, 10:40 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

got my '05 with 72,000 miles. best car EVER. grab it and growl, you are in the goldilocks zone on this one. should be trouble free for years. only thing I have had to replace is shocks (3 out of 4). everything else works fine. if you don't buy it you will be sorry.
Old 07-06-17, 10:46 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Congrats on finding a Custom Luxury. Nice color combo. Super rare. Service history looks good. He's having it inspected. That's good. Maybe have a Lex dealer do it if nearby? I've considered a couple of long distance purchases. Had owner take to Lex dealer. I paid. Found out both cars not worth the trip. Good Carfax and auto check? Great. Maybe ask for interior/exterior detail pictures? Easy to do.

Quick Reply: Finally found one with low miles! What do you think about this deal fellas/gals?