LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Questions before purchase LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-17, 06:59 PM
simpson227
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions before purchase LS 430

I am looking at a 2004 LS430 114,000 miles. Have wanted an LS for a while and this one showed up at an independent car lot.

Drove the car today, runs like a top. 0-80 pretty quickly!
Issues I picked up from test drive and visual inspection: passenger door lock actuator not working, little door under the radio is not latching, couple of paint chips and some other minor cosmetic issues. Getting it good price (from my search online).

Timing belt done at 105,000 K.

My question is what are the items I should have looked at by an independent mechanic? Taking to my guy and having them do a "used car inspection" Any know issues that I can identify before I buy?
Old 07-06-17, 11:02 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

An important detail w/ on 04 is the transmission. Make sure it shifts smoothly (especially at low speed). The car either has a replaced transmission (good) or it's a later 04 (also good). At this mileage, in the front suspension, lower control arm bushings (LCA's) may be an issue. Check for cracked rubber. See if there's a "clunk" noise over slow bumps. Another clue is a slight front end vibration around 58-60 altho that may be just tires. Make sure the inspect includes EVERYTHING! Side mirrors, door locks (all doors), CD player. Have multiple smart keys? Nice cars but expensive to repair if you don't do the work. A service history REALLY helpful if you can get. Without knowing the model, hard to give more recommends.
Old 07-06-17, 11:17 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

If the car shifts smoothly then nothing to worry about. FYI I've attached transmission recall details. There's also a factory service bulletin if shifts are a little notchy going really slow (like in bumper to bumper). On the 04-06's, it's hard to change the trans fluid ("sealed transmission") and expensive from dealer (200), some indy's may not get it right. Depends on how picky you are about cars and how long you want to keep the car. I did 2 drain/fills and shifts are smoother. I plan to keep mine until big cars are illegal or there's no more gas Good luck. They're great cars.
Attached Thumbnails Questions before purchase LS 430-04-trans-recall-details-copy.png  
Old 07-06-17, 12:54 PM
simpson227
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought it! It is a 7 maybe 8 out of 10 car! Got a great price so I took the plunge!
Old 07-06-17, 01:30 PM
Tharper1
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by simpson227
I bought it! It is a 7 maybe 8 out of 10 car! Got a great price so I took the plunge!
The longer you have it the more you're gonna love it. These cars are pretty incredible...
Old 07-06-17, 01:47 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

[QUOTE=tallcaguy;9916858]If the car shifts smoothly then nothing to worry about. FYI I've attached transmission recall details. /QUOTE]

I think the transmission issue is greatly overblown in this forum. The cars in question were manufactured from June 2003 until January 2004. I can't imagine how any original owner of those cars refused to have the transmission replaced free or that even a dealer that serviced the car would not insist on a transmission replacement. I'm sure that Lexus did not want the early 2004 LS430's tarnish the excellent Lexus reputation.
Old 07-06-17, 03:11 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

[QUOTE=jayclapp;9916996]
Originally Posted by tallcaguy
If the car shifts smoothly then nothing to worry about. FYI I've attached transmission recall details. /QUOTE]

I think the transmission issue is greatly overblown in this forum. The cars in question were manufactured from June 2003 until January 2004. I can't imagine how any original owner of those cars refused to have the transmission replaced free or that even a dealer that serviced the car would not insist on a transmission replacement. I'm sure that Lexus did not want the early 2004 LS430's tarnish the excellent Lexus reputation.
I own an 04. Mine shifted badly at slow speeds. In a perfect world, all the affected transmissions were replaced and everyone had TSB service. Doesn't always work that way so I checked. TSB wasn't done on mine, transmission not on the recall list. Lexus' reputation was tarnished by cars that didn't shift right.
Old 07-06-17, 03:28 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I own an '05 made in August of '04. does not have the TSB but unless I am in bumper to bumper traffic it does not bother me. now if it was free I would get it done, but where I live there is not a lot of traffic jams. I had a miserable hour in a San Antonio traffic snarl at the loop 410/ Interstate10 interchange and some bad times in Dallas but here population 6000 people it is no problem at all. the one thing that I suggest you check is do you have the original windshield or a replacement. the originals are made water repellant and are really cool in rain. most replacements are made in China and not near as good quality.
Old 07-06-17, 04:32 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
If the car shifts smoothly then nothing to worry about. FYI I've attached transmission recall details. There's also a factory service bulletin if shifts are a little notchy going really slow (like in bumper to bumper). On the 04-06's, it's hard to change the trans fluid ("sealed transmission") and expensive from dealer (200), some indy's may not get it right. Depends on how picky you are about cars and how long you want to keep the car. I did 2 drain/fills and shifts are smoother. I plan to keep mine until big cars are illegal or there's no more gas Good luck. They're great cars.
The 2004 Sport one that is in Mesa looks like it had this done to it:

REPAIR# 0219493
REPORTED BY: Lexus of Pleasanton
SERVICE: 15000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY
DESCRIPTION: 15000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY ~ ~CUSTOMER REQUESTS 15000 MILE SERVICE T23 ~ ~SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE DUE TO TIME OR MILEAGE ~ ~15000 MILE SERVICE PERFORMED FRONT & REAR TIRES @ 6/32NDS"", REPLACE @ 2/32NDS"" FRONT BRAKES 8MM, REAR BRAKES 9MM, REPLACE @ 2MM
SERVICE: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE
DESCRIPTION: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE ~ ~PLEASE PERFORM LEXUS FACTORY 4LB CAMPAIGN ON VEHICLE (FUEL PUMP) ~ ~ ~ ~TECH 646 COMPLETED LEXUS FACTORY 4LB CAMPAIGN AT THIS TIME.NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE ~ ~PLEASE PERFORM LEXUS FACTORY 4LC CAMPAIGN ON VEHICLE (TRANSMISSION) ~ ~ ~ ~TECH 646 COMPLETED 4LC LEXUS FACTORY CAMPAIGN AT THIS TIME.

Fuel pump and Transmission service.
Old 07-06-17, 08:43 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

With 114k if the trans hasn't had a drain/fill then I would have that done. My car just hit 114k and I just had it done. I feel the trans does shift a little smoother but it could all be in my head. For $150 I felt it was worth the protection. My mechanic said the trans oil was not that bad and that he had seen a lot worse fluid.

I had to do the door locks on my car as well. There is a DIY on how to fix them and I would recommend doing both front door locks while your at it even if only one is an issue.
Old 07-07-17, 07:53 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club. Enjoy the ride and understand, from this point forward, you won't be able to downgrade from this level. You are stuck.
Old 07-07-17, 11:40 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club. Enjoy the ride and understand, from this point forward, you won't be able to downgrade from this level. You are stuck.
Agree 100%!
Old 07-07-17, 05:01 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
I own an '05 made in August of '04. does not have the TSB but unless I am in bumper to bumper traffic it does not bother me. now if it was free I would get it done, but where I live there is not a lot of traffic jams. I had a miserable hour in a San Antonio traffic snarl at the loop 410/ Interstate10 interchange and some bad times in Dallas but here population 6000 people it is no problem at all. the one thing that I suggest you check is do you have the original windshield or a replacement. the originals are made water repellant and are really cool in rain. most replacements are made in China and not near as good quality.
Next time I'm in B2B, I'm going to try putting it in Manual Shift and keeping it in 1st. Not something I'd do if daily commute.
Old 07-07-17, 05:03 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by simpson227
Yeah welcome to the club. Good luck w/ the car!
Old 07-07-17, 05:29 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by LatinGS350
The 2004 Sport one that is in Mesa looks like it had this done to it:

REPAIR# 0219493
REPORTED BY: Lexus of Pleasanton
SERVICE: 15000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY
DESCRIPTION: 15000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY ~ ~CUSTOMER REQUESTS 15000 MILE SERVICE T23 ~ ~SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE DUE TO TIME OR MILEAGE ~ ~15000 MILE SERVICE PERFORMED FRONT & REAR TIRES @ 6/32NDS"", REPLACE @ 2/32NDS"" FRONT BRAKES 8MM, REAR BRAKES 9MM, REPLACE @ 2MM
SERVICE: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE
DESCRIPTION: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE ~ ~PLEASE PERFORM LEXUS FACTORY 4LB CAMPAIGN ON VEHICLE (FUEL PUMP) ~ ~ ~ ~TECH 646 COMPLETED LEXUS FACTORY 4LB CAMPAIGN AT THIS TIME.NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE ~ ~PLEASE PERFORM LEXUS FACTORY 4LC CAMPAIGN ON VEHICLE (TRANSMISSION) ~ ~ ~ ~TECH 646 COMPLETED 4LC LEXUS FACTORY CAMPAIGN AT THIS TIME.

Fuel pump and Transmission service.
That's cool that it's still available. I texted the guy a couple of times. Always garaged at home and work. Sounds like he took care of it. Things to look for? Is this one a Modern Luxury?

Quick Reply: Questions before purchase LS 430