LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus dealer: tie rod loose - replace steering rack???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-17, 09:56 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I know Cali. has a smog check, but no safety inspection? We have an annual safety inspection and you can't pass with any tie rod play....with that being said, my hunch is it's usually not night/day. For example, I got the right side replaced on my Maxima. 5-6 mos later I put new tires on at AAA (they run their own shops out here and have good rates, $17/wheel). They stated we found you need a left tie rod, you'll have to do it before your next inspection. Normally we suggest an alignment when you get new tires, but not today because of your left tie rod. Car drove perfectly fine, no steering issues no problems....my uncle DIY'd one in the past, also no perceived benefit (inspection purposes). my .02...

p.s. now that my wife and I have lifetime alignments, it's not as much a PITA. I was thinking I just did the right with an alignment, now I need the left and another alignment?
No safety inspect out here. The big danger is the drivers but not much we can do about that. Tx feedback on value of replacing tie rod ends. My goal is make the car drive more "like new". Motor is super smooth, shifts well, suspension good, high end tires all help. I'd like replace items that wear because of age or use. From what I've heard in here, replacing the engine/transmission mounts might be a "perceived benefit". Easy to check. There's a lurch when shifting in reverse. Just normal for 6 speed? No wear on tie rod ends on a big car w/ 100k? Nothing perceived so maybe that's a waste of money.
Old 07-22-17, 10:04 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I know Cali. has a smog check, but no safety inspection? We have an annual safety inspection and you can't pass with any tie rod play....with that being said, my hunch is it's usually not night/day. For example, I got the right side replaced on my Maxima. 5-6 mos later I put new tires on at AAA (they run their own shops out here and have good rates, $17/wheel). They stated we found you need a left tie rod, you'll have to do it before your next inspection. Normally we suggest an alignment when you get new tires, but not today because of your left tie rod. Car drove perfectly fine, no steering issues no problems....my uncle DIY'd one in the past, also no perceived benefit (inspection purposes). my .02...

p.s. now that my wife and I have lifetime alignments, it's not as much a PITA. I was thinking I just did the right with an alignment, now I need the left and another alignment?
Thats great that you both have lifetime alignments! Marriages can last longer if both partners are going in the same direction (rather than wandering around or swerving unpredictably) )
Old 07-22-17, 11:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Thats great that you both have lifetime alignments! Marriages can last longer if both partners are going in the same direction (rather than wandering around or swerving unpredictably) )
haha spoken for truth!

Not exactly sure how to quantify it, because most of my life I didn't worry about alignments except when getting new tires...so say they do the 2nd one and find everything in order, was there any value...cuz I think it takes maybe 2-2.5 to break even......but I do feel if say work is done on the car and alignment is recommended, this will be handy...we'd be really disappointed if Firestone went out of business! Hey, look at how Sears stock popped 25% with the amazon news, be a shame if or rather when they're gone...
Old 07-24-17, 01:55 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Just got the call - she's ready.

$875 - including an install of my newly-refurbished steering wheel with new leather and wood.

Thanks, gang!

BTW - if anyone needs a great indi in Central Florida (Lakeland), call John Carlisle (Carlisle's Auto Service) at 863-683-0895. He specializes in foreign luxury cars.