LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-17, 06:52 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by lsdude
Looks great e60bmw! Where did you get the floor mats from?
Thanks man. I got them from AliExpress, they are pretty good quality, they do get creased in shipping though since it’s hard to ship. But they always get compliments by passengers. Wish they slightly lighter to match interior but they are fine. Probably a number of sellers who offer them on Ali now.
Old 10-23-17, 07:00 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great e60bmw! Where did you get the floor mats from?
Never mind. I found your original post on where to purchase:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...floormats.html
Are they holding up well?
Old 10-23-17, 07:11 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Never mind. I found your original post on where to purchase:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...floormats.html
Are they holding up well?
Yes very well. Only problem is they get dirty fast. You have to wipe it down with a all purpose cleaner, might be better on darker colors. Had the same problem with light carpets too. But this protects original carpet well and you can scrub them down.
Old 10-23-17, 07:50 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you were to buy the mats again, would you go with black?
Old 10-23-17, 07:58 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

If you were to buy the mats again, would you go with black?
Probably not, but they would probably look good with this interior too. Depends on your interior color, I had tan interior before with black matts before on other cars. I would get them for my GS in black if they had them that fit awd. I’d recommend them either way.
The following users liked this post:
lsdude (10-24-17)
Old 10-24-17, 09:28 AM
PolishDude
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Install looks great. I am going to end up refusing delivery on my 4200nex and picked up the 4201 deal, I save a couple bucks and I will get the rear view camera which I don't really have a need for but maybe I can use it as a front facing camera? Which I also don't really need....actually maybe I can use it in my Corvette, that car I need a front facing camera for as I destroy my front lip all the time. I just got my beat sonic kit, it is expensive but at least it looks like a quality piece. As far as the DVD output not working on the Navigation, did you make sure your parking brake is set? Maybe that is it? I got the bypass to allow it to work without the parking brake so hopefully it works.
Old 10-24-17, 09:37 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

Fit and finish looks so much better on the Beat Sonic kit compared to the Metra kit.

E60BMW, did you add a new camera when you did your install? If so, can you post a picture of it please? I'm torn between a single din unit or a double din unit with a back up camera since I have a non-nav car. The parking sensors are nice, but a camera would be even better...

Thanks.
Old 10-24-17, 10:54 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by PolishDude
Install looks great. I am going to end up refusing delivery on my 4200nex and picked up the 4201 deal, I save a couple bucks and I will get the rear view camera which I don't really have a need for but maybe I can use it as a front facing camera? Which I also don't really need....actually maybe I can use it in my Corvette, that car I need a front facing camera for as I destroy my front lip all the time. I just got my beat sonic kit, it is expensive but at least it looks like a quality piece. As far as the DVD output not working on the Navigation, did you make sure your parking brake is set? Maybe that is it? I got the bypass to allow it to work without the parking brake so hopefully it works.
You can definately use it as a front facing camera, just a matter of seeing how to get the wires thru from the front. I actually thought about adding a 2nd camera and maybe finding one that is night vision(not sure if its possible), but it would be cool to have nightvision at night. The parking brake wire is wired, my bypass works fine,, I just cant display any video of any sort on my main nav screen. I go to audio then click on the picture thing like the beatsonic example video shows but no video. I haven't tried dvds yet but everything else is not greyed out when I move so its working.

Originally Posted by Romanova
Fit and finish looks so much better on the Beat Sonic kit compared to the Metra kit.

E60BMW, did you add a new camera when you did your install? If so, can you post a picture of it please? I'm torn between a single din unit or a double din unit with a back up camera since I have a non-nav car. The parking sensors are nice, but a camera would be even better...

Thanks.
Yes it was a new camera, I have a 02 so never had a factory backup camera. It was the one that came with the kit. I'll take a pic shortly and post it up. I still need to seal part of the hole where the wire comes out with some silicone, part of the wire shows from the back but doesn't bother me. It was hard to mount it flush due to the mount size and what I was working with. If you went single din are you looking at one that flips out? I think the doubledin looks really good and updates the car, there is a big price difference though no doubt between the metra and beatsonic.
Old 10-25-17, 09:38 AM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by e60bmw
Yes it was a new camera, I have a 02 so never had a factory backup camera. It was the one that came with the kit. I'll take a pic shortly and post it up. I still need to seal part of the hole where the wire comes out with some silicone, part of the wire shows from the back but doesn't bother me. It was hard to mount it flush due to the mount size and what I was working with. If you went single din are you looking at one that flips out? I think the doubledin looks really good and updates the car, there is a big price difference though no doubt between the metra and beatsonic.
The gap at the top of the Metra panel would drive me crazy... looks out of place with the rest of the fit and finish of our cars. If I go single DIN, it would just be a plain old radio with USB support, though the more I think about it, it would probably be best to do a double DIN... especially the more I look at Android Auto and it would be nice to have a back up camera. I think trying to mount the camera to look as OEM as possible is going to be the key, curious to see how you did yours.
Old 10-25-17, 10:14 AM
PolishDude
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definitely do double din, really helps out the interior of the car
Old 10-25-17, 12:50 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Heres some pics of the cam, haven't messed with sealing the hole yet, I can probably make it look cleaner too. I didn't mount it on the black slot because it has a curve on it so I mounted it to the left slightly.
Attached Thumbnails Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install-lscamera1.jpg   Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install-img_3576.jpg  
Old 10-25-17, 06:46 PM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm still researching what to do on my LS. Its a base model non-nav, but I dont like any of the kits available for the car. I don;t like the way they stick out from the dash. I know its necessary because the upper part of the radio is super shallow due to ac stuff behind it. I am looking for a shallow mech-less double din that I can mount flush with the dash and fabricate my own "kit" to trim it out. I've seen a couple shallow units or some where only half of the double din is deep and the rest is just screen but the have the deep part on the upper part of the radio. I would need it on the bottom part to clear. Worst case scenario maybe I can take apart a double din and extend the wiring to the screen so that I can remote mount the guts lower where there is room but still have the double din screen in the area of the stock radio. I've done a couple single dins like this a LONG time ago when I did car stereo stuff. Remote mounted the detachable face in the visor and had the guts of the unit hidden under a seat or mounted in the stock location with an abs cover with a slit in it so you could still load a cd.
Old 10-25-17, 07:13 PM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by mykvr6
I'm still researching what to do on my LS. Its a base model non-nav, but I dont like any of the kits available for the car. I don;t like the way they stick out from the dash. I know its necessary because the upper part of the radio is super shallow due to ac stuff behind it. I am looking for a shallow mech-less double din that I can mount flush with the dash and fabricate my own "kit" to trim it out. I've seen a couple shallow units or some where only half of the double din is deep and the rest is just screen but the have the deep part on the upper part of the radio. I would need it on the bottom part to clear. Worst case scenario maybe I can take apart a double din and extend the wiring to the screen so that I can remote mount the guts lower where there is room but still have the double din screen in the area of the stock radio. I've done a couple single dins like this a LONG time ago when I did car stereo stuff. Remote mounted the detachable face in the visor and had the guts of the unit hidden under a seat or mounted in the stock location with an abs cover with a slit in it so you could still load a cd.
I really wanted to leave the factory system in place and place a single DIN where the 6 disc changer is and keep the door. Problem is, I only run Pioneer units and all of their single DIN units seem to have a volume **** that protrudes out from the unit which would hit the door. Some of the new receivers on the marker that don't play CDs are super shallow.

I agree with not liking any of the kits... which is really the Metra kit or the Beat Sonic kit. The Metra looks like it has poor fit and finish. The Beat Sonic kit looks more factory but it is stupid expensive. I'm going to end up doing the Beat Sonic kit with a Pioneer double DIN. In the mean time, I had to download a bunch of music and make up some CDs to stock the changer with.
Old 10-26-17, 07:43 AM
vadorade
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gmoney94
I had a JVC when I started this thread, but it turned out to be defective. I returned it to Crutchfield and got an Alpine ILX-107 instead.

Do all of the Metra faceplates have that gap on top? Or was that just an install mistake? Can you move the kit up a bit to lessen the gap? I'm not a perfectionist but that gap just looks unprofessional since you can still see tabs and whatnot behind the gap. Also, looks like the gap is bigger on the left side vs the right.
Old 10-26-17, 12:48 PM
gmoney94
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The gap is the bane of my radio experience. It's a design defect of the kit. Unlike the stock radio, the kit does not have connecting tabs on each top corner. I had the installer at Best Buy show me, and we compared the stock radio to the kit and that was it. The corner tabs lock it in place, without them you get the gap. I'm considering buy the BeatSonic dash kit - from the pics I've seen, I believe it closely mimics the stock solution.

Quick Reply: Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install