LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-17, 07:40 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by sgretchko
I thought the accessory storage box was no longer available. Any idea on where to get one?
Lots of sites, just gotta google the part number, I think this should be it.
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...-50020-e1.html
I considered buying the stock ash tray used and hack it up to make a custom one for a fraction of the price.
Old 10-18-17, 08:19 AM
PolishDude
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
Thanks for that thread, it sounds like it might be a little more complicated than I thought. It looks like he had to tap into 2 reverse sources for the camera. I would actually like to activate the camera at any time if I wanted, so if I wire to reverse I’m not sure how that would work.
I believe you can run a wire from the 4201nex reverse wire all the way to the rear taillights (run it with the antenna wire), tap into that for for the reverse source, wire the camera to a power (acc) and ground. That is how it was done on my Dodge Viper reverse camera. This should give you what you are looking for.
Old 10-18-17, 07:21 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Started trying to run the wires from the trunk to the front in prep of getting my beat sonic harness tomorrow. It was a pretty big pain trying to find a opening from the trunk to the cabin. I didn’t want to remove my seats, after a lot of trial and error I got a coat hanger thru, I’m going to take lots of pics tomorrow so it maybe helps someone. So it is possible to fish the wire popping off the driver side rear trim. I may jbweld my reverse camera onto the mount instead of using the 3m tape to keep it secure. Also got my mic ran behind the mirror next to my dash cam. I’m amazed at how well the car is built everything feels so beefy.
Old 10-19-17, 09:36 AM
gmoney94
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I had Best Buy do the install for me with BS kit. They didn't realize what a bear it was going to be to get the antenna wire back to the trunk, so they only charged me $100 for the entire install.
Old 10-19-17, 10:31 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by gmoney94
I had Best Buy do the install for me with BS kit. They didn't realize what a bear it was going to be to get the antenna wire back to the trunk, so they only charged me $100 for the entire install.
Why did they need to install a antenna? I didn't take my head unit out yet, I thought I could just disconnect the antenna from that to this new head unit.. I _really_ don't want to have to run one. I probably would have definitely spent $100 to have this installed but I hate whenever I have someone work on my car and them messing something up. I took my GS in for a full detail when I got it and the guys ripped part of my console leather.
Old 10-19-17, 10:49 AM
gmoney94
Driver

The new double-din unit came with a proprietary antenna hookup. I don't think they had much of a choice - they ended up taking the back seats out after some initial struggling.
Old 10-19-17, 10:57 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Where is the best place to get the Beatsonic it? I need one for my 05 Ultra Luxury and the wiring harness for 02 base model with Mark Levinson audio.
Old 10-19-17, 10:58 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by gmoney94
The new double-din unit came with a proprietary antenna hookup. I don't think they had much of a choice - they ended up taking the back seats out after some initial struggling.
Great...

What unit do you have? I hadn't accounted for having to run a antenna, I'm not even sure if my unit came with one.
Old 10-19-17, 10:59 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kira X
Where is the best place to get the Beatsonic it? I need one for my 05 Ultra Luxury and the wiring harness for 02 base model with Mark Levinson audio.
CarID, there really isn't many other places that even carry it, sonix electronix has it for around the same price $360. You might be able to find a coupon for either one.
Old 10-19-17, 01:20 PM
gmoney94
Driver

Great...

What unit do you have? I hadn't accounted for having to run a antenna, I'm not even sure if my unit came with one.
I had a JVC when I started this thread, but it turned out to be defective. I returned it to Crutchfield and got an Alpine ILX-107 instead.

Old 10-20-17, 07:08 AM
PolishDude
Driver

Originally Posted by Kira X
I recently bought one from Sonic Electronix, if you sign up for their newsletter you get 10% off, max of $30 off so I got mine for $330 shipped earlier this week, says you won't get it untiil November but mine shipped the very next day and is scheduled to arrive Monday
Old 10-20-17, 07:09 AM
PolishDude
Driver

Great...

99% sure you connect the antenna at the back by the amp, so you will have to run that wire too once you get the kit
Old 10-20-17, 07:55 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by PolishDude
99% sure you connect the antenna at the back by the amp, so you will have to run that wire too once you get the kit
Yeah found that out later. There was alot of stuff I wasn't expecting, I thought it would be more plug and play but I understand that each harness is different. I had to make connectors on the Pioneer harness which are included in the beatsonic kit, 3 for power/accessory wires. And then I have to make 4 of them for the speaker wire coming off the harness. At first I was trying to figure out how the beatsonic speaker connectors go into rca connectors but thats not where they go. I got it powered on last night and with audio which is a big step, along with carplay. Pretty pumped about how thats going to work. Theres 2 pin connections on the end of the antenna harness, I _think_ I only need to use one of them since theres only one connection in the back of the unit.
Old 10-23-17, 03:31 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Alright guys, took me a few days but I got everything in place. After installing I realize I didn't wire parking brake to ground so I had alot of menu items not showing. Ended up ordering the bypass cable so I can drive and watch dvd's or use bluetooth menus if needed. I don't plan to watch dvd's but in case passengers do on trips it would be cool to have. Really happy with the unit, tbh it was a big pain to install for me who has never done any sort of AV setup before it was a pretty big job. I'm so glad I don't have a cassette adapter showing anymore for audio. Having siri is pretty awesome if you need to look something up and can have the phone hidden away.

The beatsonic kit had everything I needed for the car. One thing I didn't realize is that its not all plug and play, for the stock connections you have to wire from the beatsonic harness to the pioneer adapter. It includes some plugs for the speaker wire, essentially its 2 front connections because its 2 channel from the stock amp. You also have to wire up 3 connections for 12v, illumination and acc power. There are several grounds you will need to wire as well. The unit has a microphone which is needed for siri and voice. I put this mic behind the mirror and clipped it onto the windshield mount and ran the wire from to the left and down across the panels under the foot well and into the back of the nav unit. I had to run a antenna adapter from the stock amp in the trunk to the back of the unit. This antenna is a pretty large connector so it was a big challanage getting this from the trunk into the cabin thru the very small hole. I had to fish thru lines 1 at a time, it took me several hours to first locate where to fish it thru and then being able to get it thru. I did this for the antenna adapter, a power line that was run to the reverse light wire and the backup camera connector.

Antenna location:

Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install-bpfv4z3.jpg

Red wire cabled to the backup source, it was a red and blue wire I believe.

Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install-yoi0b3g.jpg

To remove the top portion of the liner there are clips you have to pull forward and they release.

Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install-cobxnph.jpg

At first I was trying to fish the wire thru without removing the seats, I got a coathanger thru but couldn't fish anything else thru. Ended up unbolting the seats and it was much easier although still not easy.

Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install-jxowh0v.jpg

Unbolted seats, there is a small area to pull the wires thru on the right side near seatbelt.

Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install-wghkgfw.jpg

Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install-wcdljfg.jpg

Success when they were pulled thru, probably the hardest portion of the whole job.

Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install-0i0gwfz.jpg

Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install-cw0ypsq.jpg

The power from the reverse is cabled to the reverse power on the headunit. Power for the backup connection is to ground and power. I can activate the camera at any time and camera activates in reverse when power is given to backup bulb.

I wired up the 2nd screen to my stock nav unit today with the connector included and for some reason that doesn't work. I don't know if the nav has to have that option to allow video but it doesn't work which isn't a big deal. But if someone knows why I'm all ears. Its nice to have 2017 tech in this car, I love the car but the tech was always bothering me so I have a great package with comfort and stuff like using nav and audio.

The pioneer deal looks to be back on with the rebates so after everything is said and done the pioneer 4201nex will be around $350 with the camera, pretty good deal since they are $700 new. I may paint the beatsonic plate to match my lighter interior eventually. Also added a new shift **** this week, I have a silk blaze pistol grip steering wheel on the way from Japan too.

After:
Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install-r0ifmjm.jpg
The following 4 users liked this post by e60bmw:
aypues (10-23-17), LatinLS430 (10-24-17), LS430cb (10-23-17), Romanova (05-31-18)
Old 10-23-17, 06:42 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great e60bmw! Where did you get the floor mats from?

Quick Reply: Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install