LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install

Old 08-03-17, 07:23 AM
lildann
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
Yeah, I agree with that. It's actually more than I spent on my headunit, amp, and speakers.

The cost is what sopped me from changing out my radios in both of my LS'. I'm hoping to wire it up without the harness since I'm using aftermarket amps and speakers.
If your using aftermarket amps and speakers you can bypass the amp. They sell 9 wire for it. It's 9 wires in one sheath to make it easier to route. You may still have to buy the antenna cable though. I'm not sure.
Old 08-03-17, 10:17 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Would this work guys? I see metra makes a cable...

http://www.metraonline.com/part/TYTO-01

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-03-17, 08:39 PM
lildann
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure if it would work. I'd take it to a high end car stereo shop that is familiar with these cars. They would have a better idea what will work with your car.
Old 10-14-17, 06:49 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Newegg has had some of the carplay units for around $300 so I think I'm gonna finally do it, the harness will be more than the unit but there aren't alot of other options for upgrading.
Old 10-14-17, 10:13 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
Newegg has had some of the carplay units for around $300 so I think I'm gonna finally do it, the harness will be more than the unit but there aren't alot of other options for upgrading.
Post your results and what products you get. I want to upgrade my head unit also.
Old 10-14-17, 10:58 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

I couldn't pass up on the unit. I was going to get the AVH-1300nex a few weeks ago for around $400. I got the AVH-4201NEX with backup cam which will end up being $350(700 normally)! Now the hard part to swallow is the $350 on the harness but I really love everything else about the car so if I can have some good tech in it, then its all worth it. The beatsonic harness is pretty tough to find, I only found 1 left on the carid ebay store which I grabbed. Not sure if other places have them. These are about the cheapest I've ever seen these pioneer units.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10650016-pi...-free-shipping

I've been running a cassette adapter for my audio since I got the car. For the beatsonic plate, I may end up painting it with the same color I redid my armrests in with the SEM paint. I'll post updates, I'll probably install it in this week if it arrives, I gotta figure out how to install the camera, I'm sure that will be fun.
Old 10-15-17, 07:14 AM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm tempted to try the Metra harness before splurging on the Beatsonic one.

e60bmw, do you plan to mount the camera in the center of the trunk? Does anyone know where the factory one is mounted?
Old 10-15-17, 07:36 AM
lsdude
Pole Position

Do these kits retain steering wheel functions (volume, next track)?
Old 10-15-17, 08:32 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by lsdude
I'm tempted to try the Metra harness before splurging on the Beatsonic one.

e60bmw, do you plan to mount the camera in the center of the trunk? Does anyone know where the factory one is mounted?
Yes I plan on mounting the camera back there, I haven't really looked yet to see whats involved. I should probably look up where the stock ones are located. Other things I have to figure out is where I want to run the iphone cable to use with carplay. I wish I could get a hold of the cigarette storage compartment but its like $240 just for that small piece and I can't bring myself to spend that. That would be a good location for it. Also thought about wiring it to this compartment so I can just plug my phone in and hide it, basically I don't want the phone really visible if I use carplay.
https://dudazps6njn84.cloudfront.net/00/s/MTIyMlgxNjAw/z/ACIAAOSwuLZY4CvI/$_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

I'm not too sure about the controls on the steering wheel, I didn't read too much into it. I think the metra kit is mainly if you don't have factory nav so that wouldn't work for me.
Old 10-15-17, 08:19 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
I wish I could get a hold of the cigarette storage compartment but its like $240 just for that small piece and I can't bring myself to spend that. That would be a good location for it.

I'm not too sure about the controls on the steering wheel, I didn't read too much into it. I think the metra kit is mainly if you don't have factory nav so that wouldn't work for me.
$240 seems like a high price for the storage compartment but it is well worth it to get rid of that nasty ashtray and have a very nice compartment for keys and phone which for me is what usually sits in there. The compartment is very well made - typical Lexus quality and looks.
Old 10-16-17, 08:48 AM
gmoney94
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Skip the Metra harness, it's a no-go. I've been down that road and it just doesn't work, and I had Crutchfield install everything for me.

The Beatsonic kit works and it its pricey as hell, but you'll save yourself a ton of hassle if you bite the bullet a the get go.
Old 10-16-17, 10:38 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by gmoney94
Skip the Metra harness, it's a no-go. I've been down that road and it just doesn't work, and I had Crutchfield install everything for me.

The Beatsonic kit works and it its pricey as hell, but you'll save yourself a ton of hassle if you bite the bullet a the get go.
Yeah it was worth it to me since its really the only one that is going to be hassle free.
Old 10-17-17, 06:28 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

I found this relevant thread on how to wire the backup camera. Since the reverse trigger is not accessible from the cabin, other members found a way to tap into the backup lights.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...up-camera.html
Old 10-17-17, 07:33 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I thought the accessory storage box was no longer available. Any idea on where to get one?
Old 10-17-17, 07:36 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by lsdude
I found this relevant thread on how to wire the backup camera. Since the reverse trigger is not accessible from the cabin, other members found a way to tap into the backup lights.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...up-camera.html
Thanks for that thread, it sounds like it might be a little more complicated than I thought. It looks like he had to tap into 2 reverse sources for the camera. I would actually like to activate the camera at any time if I wanted, so if I wire to reverse I’m not sure how that would work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install