LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Crunch

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-17, 06:19 AM
DIMINISHED
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus Diminished Value

As you have correctly surmised, my post was meant to say that your Lexus, if structural damages did occur, will ,lose approximately 40% of it's pre-accident trade-in value. I was speaking with a GEICO supervisor from the Midwest recently. He wanted to know how a car that had $5,000.00 in damages could lose $10,000.00 in value. I explained that the car had structural damage which led to the higher than normal diminished value for a car with that amount of damage. In fact, as I relayed to him, the same car could have $15,000.00 in damage without structural damage or air bag deployment and lose much less in value than the subject car mostly because it can still be certified whereas that other one can not.
The following users liked this post:
enigma25 (07-17-17)
Old 07-17-17, 06:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma25
I will admit I have met some genuinely nice, sincere, buyers selling used cars, bikes and boats, but overall, it's a lot of time dealing with difficult people.

And I hope you approve of my vehicle replacement choice; 2008 MBZ CLK 550, Cabriolet. Complete 180 to say the least! It's a true four seater Fourseason convertible with a little under 400 hp a seven speed with paddle shifters and realistically all of the technology I need for right now in my life !! I have a new wife and two little girls and I think we're going to enjoy the hell out of it ! What do you think?😎
I don't know how you do it Rick, new car, new wife, man is life good!! Congrats!!

p.s. that sounds like a sweet motor, I honestly would like to break the 400 barrier someday, at least for torque, if not HP......
enigma25 (07-17-17)
Old 07-17-17, 07:25 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

You'll have to post a few pictures of the new ride before you abandon us and head over to MBworld!
enigma25 (07-17-17)
Old 07-17-17, 08:44 AM
enigma25
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I don't know how you do it Rick, new car, new wife, man is life good!! Congrats!!

p.s. that sounds like a sweet motor, I honestly would like to break the 400 barrier someday, at least for torque, if not HP......
Life is a wild ride! Went through a hellish divorce, (ex wife was 7 months pregnant with another man's child when she signed the divorce papers...), my new wife is a girl I dated 30 years ago, but her Husband died unexpectedly at age 46! We got reintroduced and that's how an old fart like me ended up with a new wife!!
I showed them an example of the Benz and they loved it, so I just have to find one that meets my criteria!
I see another Lexus in our family soon, as my wife's lease is almost complete, and I think I have shown her what a difference there is between an SUV and a refined automobile like the LS430. If she still wants an SUV, I am going to suggest we go for a Lexus SUV. She currently is driving a GMC Terrain...since she was alone at the time she leased, she got talked into the 4 cylinder as a "gas saver"!! Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice, well made vehicle with good fit and finish and quality interior materials, but the powertrain is another story! Put four people in this truck and it can barely get out of it's own way. So you are constantly pushing it to get it moving and it just kills the gas mileage. She loves the LS, so I think the RX should be a slam dunk.
Old 07-17-17, 08:55 AM
enigma25
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
You'll have to post a few pictures of the new ride before you abandon us and head over to MBworld!
2K - see above post! I think I'll stick around Lexus land for a while! We are going to replace the GMC Terrain with a RX when the lease is over!
I like it here! Nice people, great advice, and no put downs for asking questions, or (gasp) mentioning another brand!!! Some of the other brand specific forums are unruly mobs!!

As soon as I locate the CLK that ticks all the right boxes for me, I'll post up some pictures! I have my eye on a white one right now and I'm going to see it this weekend. It will be my first white car if it goes through! White should be the perfect color for my automotive cleanliness OCD...( I think most of us here have a touch of that!!). I test drove one a few days ago, but it was maroon and too many miles for me, but what a rocketship!! Turning off traction control would result in your paycheck going direst-deposit to the Tire Rack or Costco!! Lays rubber like a 60's muscle car!
Thanks for all the great comments and assistance during my tenure on the forum!
As Eddie Murphy said: " I think I can hang out with you fellas for a little while..." Trading Places.
Best,

Rick
Old 07-17-17, 09:02 AM
enigma25
Rookie

382 HP and 391 Ft./Lbs. is about as close to 400 as I'll be getting for a while!! The CLK's are fast, but also heavy! 3,720 wet weight/no driver!! Once I get it, we should do a Lehigh Valley cars and coffee and you can take her for a run!
Old 07-17-17, 09:07 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma25
Life is a wild ride! Went through a hellish divorce, (ex wife was 7 months pregnant with another man's child when she signed the divorce papers...), my new wife is a girl I dated 30 years ago, but her Husband died unexpectedly at age 46! We got reintroduced and that's how an old fart like me ended up with a new wife!!
I showed them an example of the Benz and they loved it, so I just have to find one that meets my criteria!
I see another Lexus in our family soon, as my wife's lease is almost complete, and I think I have shown her what a difference there is between an SUV and a refined automobile like the LS430. If she still wants an SUV, I am going to suggest we go for a Lexus SUV. She currently is driving a GMC Terrain...since she was alone at the time she leased, she got talked into the 4 cylinder as a "gas saver"!! Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice, well made vehicle with good fit and finish and quality interior materials, but the powertrain is another story! Put four people in this truck and it can barely get out of it's own way. So you are constantly pushing it to get it moving and it just kills the gas mileage. She loves the LS, so I think the RX should be a slam dunk.
Sorry to hear about the ex's situation....

I think how things end up (happily) is the most important....

Around 2003? I remember visiting my cousin's friend's condo in Boston for a fantasy football draft, and this kid was doing well at the former Accenture being in his 20's, and he had a CLK 500...I was thinking man this dude is stylin' in a 300+ HP car (that was a lot of power back then, still is).....his crib was also sweet. He had one of them fancy dimmers with the green LEDs on the side (Lutron). I said I have to get me one of those and quickly installed one in my house! Then, I stayed with my aunt and uncle as a grown *** man....they took me to a nice restaurant, and then asked me all about these things they wanted to repair in their house. When I got done explaining as best I could with the various tasks, my aunt told my uncle, "You better go and return that book now before it's too late, you don't need it anymore." lol back when people bought books....

That should be a very fun car...congrats again on the positive developments!
Old 07-17-17, 11:09 AM
enigma25
Rookie

Cool

Sorry to hear about the ex's situation....

I think how things end up (happily) is the most important....

Around 2003? I remember visiting my cousin's friend's condo in Boston for a fantasy football draft, and this kid was doing well at the former Accenture being in his 20's, and he had a CLK 500...I was thinking man this dude is stylin' in a 300+ HP car (that was a lot of power back then, still is).....his crib was also sweet. He had one of them fancy dimmers with the green LEDs on the side (Lutron). I said I have to get me one of those and quickly installed one in my house! Then, I stayed with my aunt and uncle as a grown *** man....they took me to a nice restaurant, and then asked me all about these things they wanted to repair in their house. When I got done explaining as best I could with the various tasks, my aunt told my uncle, "You better go and return that book now before it's too late, you don't need it anymore." lol back when people bought books....

That should be a very fun car...congrats again on the positive developments!
I lost a lot of 'things' in the divorce: my Carrera 2, my beloved Ducati 900 SS, and other 'things'. 'Things' can be replaced and in the end, things worked out as well as can be expected and I am happy. Unfortunately, kids get caught in the crossfire and it's very hard on them, but they are getting better with the situation everyday. In fact, they are the primary reason for my choice of a CLK Cabriolet! I know they would love it with the top down and we are one of the few places on earth that still has an operating Drive-In movie theater! I know they would love going to the Drive-In Movies in Dad's convertible! They know I am a car and motorcycle fanatic and they like fun/cool cars too!! The CLK fits four adults very comfortably, and the kids have plenty of room (8 and 11 years old). I know I have a lot of great memories riding in my Dad's Austin Healy, or his 1965 Impala SS Convertible and I would love to create some fun memories for them the same way! Don't get me wrong, I want the car because it pushes my buttons, but it's something we can enjoy as a family! I think a love of cars/bikes, etc. is genetic as my youngest daughter wants a 'Sting Ray' like my fathers!! I can't wait to see what she likes at age 16...She better get a great part-time job!!

Regarding your comments about books; I am an avid reader, I had quite a collection of hardcovers and first editions that I just couldn't take with me to my temporary apartment, and they wouldn't have survived very long in a storage locker(moisture)., so I donated them (again, just 'things')...almost 1,500 books! Yes, I was and still am, one of those people who still likes books! I do own a Kindle, but I like a book more!!

When I hunt down the right CLK, I will let you all know and post some pictures..If anyone knows of one in their area, I am looking for a 2008 or 2009 CLK 550 Cabriolet

OK, back to the grind...