LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

what would you do if you came back to your car

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-17, 07:13 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Way better to not engage with a stranger on the street for a trivial slight or poor behavior if they have not done any real damage. Any time you engage with a stranger in a potentially adversarial situation even over a small issue things can escalate quickly because you may be dealing with a person who is emotionally unstable and /or they have nothing to lose. If it gets heated or even physical even if you "win" you will also very likely lose - peace of mind, time, money, hassle, etc - just not worth it.
Old 06-23-17, 09:15 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Way better to not engage with a stranger on the street for a trivial slight or poor behavior if they have not done any real damage. Any time you engage with a stranger in a potentially adversarial situation even over a small issue things can escalate quickly because you may be dealing with a person who is emotionally unstable and /or they have nothing to lose. If it gets heated or even physical even if you "win" you will also very likely lose - peace of mind, time, money, hassle, etc - just not worth it.
Agree. There are a lot crazy people these days.
Old 06-24-17, 08:53 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Once found that I could not get in through my driver's door because a Conversion Van
had been parkedthisclose to mine. Before climbing in and over the console (remember
bench seats?!) I picked up a couple tiny pebbles and placed them under two valve caps.
Slight tightening till I heard some air escaping and I was away. Karma is truly a *****.
Old 06-24-17, 10:14 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
+2. I've been around the block a few times. No need to confront for every minor issue you run into.
Old 06-24-17, 10:23 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Not worth having an argument with someone that had done a stupid and/or rude thing. You won't win. They will walk away happy and never give it another thought. You will walk away feeling bad, worrying about the incident for perhaps days in agony. That is the unbelievible power of evil. The other guy is controlling you while he is having fun. Don't fall into that trap.
Old 06-24-17, 11:08 AM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Once found that I could not get in through my driver's door because a Conversion Van
had been parkedthisclose to mine. Before climbing in and over the console (remember
bench seats?!) I picked up a couple tiny pebbles and placed them under two valve caps.
Slight tightening till I heard some air escaping and I was away. Karma is truly a *****.
Very imaginative and much less intrusive than a stab with an ice pick. I like it!

​​​​​​​Doug k
Old 06-24-17, 01:19 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Not that I would ever endorse this practice (again it's better to just walk/drive away) but using a pair of pliers to pull a couple of the valve stems out of the rims flattens the tires without any damage but it is a serious pain in the patoot to deal with because each tire has to be dismounted from the wheel so that a new valve stem can be inserted from the inside.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 06-24-17 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-27-17, 11:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

now here's a weird scenario.....went to an upscale party on Sat. in the DC suburbs....the host had 2 new Volvos, and one of their friends parked a brand new 540i in the driveway.

The kids next door started a wiffle ball game, and the parents next door who were at the party, both sat on the fender of the Volvo XC60, and I am 100% certain they meant no disrespect? They I think were in their late 50's maybe early 60's? Could it be we look at this differently? I'm baffled, maybe it's just me...
Old 06-27-17, 05:20 PM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
now here's a weird scenario.....went to an upscale party on Sat. in the DC suburbs....the host had 2 new Volvos, and one of their friends parked a brand new 540i in the driveway.

The kids next door started a wiffle ball game, and the parents next door who were at the party, both sat on the fender of the Volvo XC60, and I am 100% certain they meant no disrespect? They I think were in their late 50's maybe early 60's? Could it be we look at this differently? I'm baffled, maybe it's just me...
Please do not take this seriously.... But

Does not (DC) mean "doesn't care"... Or perhaps "don't care"?
Sorry man..
Had to!

​​​​​​​Doug k
Old 06-27-17, 05:26 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

if I am far enough back when I see it, I blip the panic button on the key fob and scare the poop into their depends..

and I always say something, years back I had a couple of dipsheet parents allow their snot nose brat to climb on my motorcycle in a parking lot, when I walked up the kid stepped off and melted his shoe on my exhaust pipes. I had a near physical encounter with the parents, mall security called the police and the police issued them a citation for vandalism and forced them to give up their insurance information. $800 custom pipes with melted rubber shoe, yeah that sheet doesn't come off, pipes were ruined, and the cop knew that he was a bike guy.

since then I have always said something when I see it.. "it's not a butt rest" "I hope your fat *** is insured for any damage you caused" " where is your car so I can go fart on your property" you know friendly and courteous things like that.
Old 06-29-17, 07:00 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

Back in the 50s a friend and I were at a barbeque restaurant in his 49 Merc that had been lowered and chopped. It had CA plates in Dallas Texas. When we came out after dinner there were two real tough. leather jacketed hoods sitting on the hood cleaning their fingernails with switch blades. Bill asked them to get off and they said, "Make us!". Bill just opened the door, reached under the seat and came out with a Machete. They got off and left the scene. When you come to a knife fight, come with the largest knife.
Old 07-11-17, 04:11 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Not worth having an argument with someone that had done a stupid and/or rude thing. You won't win. They will walk away happy and never give it another thought. You will walk away feeling bad, worrying about the incident for perhaps days in agony. That is the unbelievible power of evil. The other guy is controlling you while he is having fun. Don't fall into that trap.
This. Part of me would want to say something but I would just be wasting my breath on an inconsiderate person that can't be reasoned with anyways. Setting off the car alarm was a novel idea. I wonder if I can wax the car to the point it is so slippery that someone would just slide off if they tried to lean on it...on second thought, that may do more harm...to the car.

What I would like to say is "Nice car, is it yours?", reply of course is "No.", then I would say "Then stop leaning on it."

Last edited by FatherTo1; 07-11-17 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-12-17, 10:21 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I would probably lose my cool. I spend a lot of time washing and detailing my cars and I take people touching my car very seriously. It also doesn't help that all of my cars are black.

It's rarely been a problem but I did have a guy with a busted 240sx lean against my LS while I was sitting inside the car. It made me pretty mad since he could have leaned on his own car. I honked at him and he jumped up pretty fast. This kind of stuff happens a lot at giant car meets and shows from what I see.