04 transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-17, 09:32 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts
Default 04 transmission issues

Two questions:

1) Have an 04 w/ a barely noticeable (but annoying) whine between 80-85 mph. This is with the gas on (not coasting). Drop below 80 and it's gone. Tach is around 2,000. This is where the PS pump is a little noisy when the car is in neutral so maybe related. Any other possible sources? There's a 2015 thread which talks about whine when coasting.

2) Shifts are a little jerky while in slow moving freeway traffic (2-10 mph). Also slight clunk when shifting into reverse. This disappeared w/ D/F's but is now back. Typical 6 speed or is it an 04 problem? Transmission in my car wasn't part of the recall. Did the TSB reflash. I've done 2 D/F's. Car shifts perfectly at normal speeds, sport downshift or hard acceleration.
Old 06-17-17, 12:33 AM
clp71220
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whine could be the bearings on either the alternator or steering pump. I had a Toyota Camry that had an alternator do this whine sound at higher speeds then started doing it all the time before i replaced it.
Old 06-17-17, 01:25 AM
Lzam
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the bearings on all your pulleys.
Old 06-17-17, 04:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

With RWD cars in general I would look at the rear axle and carrier bearing. However, cannot find any documented cases here. Probably be a good idea to let an indie drive it and see. They like challenges imho unlike dealers, who like money...
Old 06-17-17, 08:42 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Thanks for the suggests. Will do.
Old 06-17-17, 02:09 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I haven 04 also, and I have the same whine at almost that exact speed. It's very faint, but I can hear it.

I tend to think its something that is "supposed" to be there as other people on the forum have mentioned they hear it at that exact speed also. If you got just a couple mph above or below, it completely disappears (for me anyway).

As far as the "jerkiness", my 2004 had a night and day difference when they did the shift TSB update to the transmission software, the previous owner of mine never had it done. The car felt like a rubber band at low speeds. The update took most of this sensation away. I can't believe Lexus let them leave the factory like that. It almost made you car sick.
Old 06-17-17, 05:08 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by BradTank
I haven 04 also, and I have the same whine at almost that exact speed. It's very faint, but I can hear it.

I tend to think its something that is "supposed" to be there as other people on the forum have mentioned they hear it at that exact speed also. If you got just a couple mph above or below, it completely disappears (for me anyway).

As far as the "jerkiness", my 2004 had a night and day difference when they did the shift TSB update to the transmission software, the previous owner of mine never had it done. The car felt like a rubber band at low speeds. The update took most of this sensation away. I can't believe Lexus let them leave the factory like that. It almost made you car sick.
Thanks for the feedback. Like you said, drive a little faster or slower and it completely goes away. Does this happen only w/ 04's? Feedback from 05-06 owners welcome here. I found a sweet one owner 05 Sports (68) but asking is 16.5. I can get 12.5 for mine (easily) but spending that much to get rid of a minor noise? Not worth it. Easy to turn up the stereo. Also mine's an ML and the 05 is a Premium.

My indy told me the TSB has been done but the car still does the "lurch" thing. Dealer time. Glad to hear you've got the problem solved.
Old 06-17-17, 06:40 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

My 04 UL had the transmission replaced by the original owner thru Lexus as it was manufactured in late 2003. I bought the car in 2007 with 21,000 miles as a CPO with extended warranty. I've never had a smoother, quieter transmission in a car. Now have 124,000 miles. I'd say something is wrong with your transmission or something else is causing the noise you're hearing.
The following users liked this post:
tallcaguy (06-18-17)
Old 06-18-17, 03:37 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

04 ls430 had a recall, some trannys were weak in the 04's
Old 06-18-17, 07:29 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Mine has the slight whine at about 75. It's done it since day one, didn't worry me then and doesn't now either.
Old 06-19-17, 06:21 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
With RWD cars in general I would look at the rear axle and carrier bearing. However, cannot find any documented cases here. Probably be a good idea to let an indie drive it and see. They like challenges imho unlike dealers, who like money...
. Although uncommon on modern cars it sounds like the pinion gear in the differential. Do you hear the whine when you step on the accelerator and it is gone when you take your foot off the accelerator at that higher speed?
Old 06-19-17, 06:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
. Although uncommon on modern cars it sounds like the pinion gear in the differential. Do you hear the whine when you step on the accelerator and it is gone when you take your foot off the accelerator at that higher speed?
See I had thought that my car had an issue, so I pored over the web, and once again, it led me to the Tundra forum where folks routinely got the whine from the carrier bearing being worn. I thought back and this also happened on 2 of my Volvos. One had a leaking rear diff and so I simply kept topping off, way too expensive to repair. Carrier bearing, is not expensive but labor....imho if it's the rear diff, the car is done, or look for used.....My issue, I never would have guessed, was my Michelin Xice Xi3's. Very noisy tires. Maybe shoulda gotten blizzaks.

But, as mentioned, I don't believe I found a single case on this forum where someone has replaced a carrier bearing. If I'm not mistaken, the exhaust system would have to come out.

I honestly believe that all the issues should be found here on the forum. But rather than guess, let an expert, like an indie, drive the car and listen....
Old 06-19-17, 06:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Mine has the slight whine at about 75. It's done it since day one, didn't worry me then and doesn't now either.
Were you the original owner......(meaning was day 1 a new car, or do you mean when you got it, and if not new, what mileage...)
Old 06-19-17, 04:12 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Were you the original owner......(meaning was day 1 a new car, or do you mean when you got it, and if not new, what mileage...)
Wasn't original owner. It's a 2004 I bought 5.5 years ago with 75k, now has 132k. I noticed it right after I bought it, figured it was something in the diff, or just a normal whine. (The car is so insanely quiet you hear a pin drop inside, so maybe that noise is just getting through.) Haven't had any issues, it doesn't concern me. I do need to change my differential fluid, though.
Old 06-19-17, 10:30 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

See I had thought that my car had an issue, so I pored over the web, and once again, it led me to the Tundra forum where folks routinely got the whine from the carrier bearing being worn. I thought back and this also happened on 2 of my Volvos. One had a leaking rear diff and so I simply kept topping off, way too expensive to repair. Carrier bearing, is not expensive but labor....imho if it's the rear diff, the car is done, or look for used.....My issue, I never would have guessed, was my Michelin Xice Xi3's. Very noisy tires. Maybe shoulda gotten blizzaks.

But, as mentioned, I don't believe I found a single case on this forum where someone has replaced a carrier bearing. If I'm not mistaken, the exhaust system would have to come out.

I honestly believe that all the issues should be found here on the forum. But rather than guess, let an expert, like an indie, drive the car and listen....
My indy drove mine. Couldn't hear it. I think he mumbled something about it "being my imagination". My PS is a little noisy (at idle) at around the rpm that the whine occurs. Maybe PS bearing replace. I'm not in any rush to do this. It's just a minor irritation. Just interesting that it generally seems to be an '04 thing.

Quick Reply: 04 transmission issues