LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 2006 Prophylactic Brake Job

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-17, 10:51 AM
wmbinford
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default LS430 2006 Prophylactic Brake Job

I live in Austin, Texas. Bought car from Florida Lexus dealer three years ago with 37000 miles with representation that dealer had done a complete brake job. Now 83000 miles and brakes vibrating slightly when applied. No other indications of brake problems. For a number of reasons cannot do brake job myself; I but I know a reasonable and Lexus knowledgable shop that will use my parts. Considering doing a front and rear complete brake job because it is convenient now and may not be when one must be done. Worried about squeal and intend to add anti squeal shim kit. If i do it I will use on-line OEM parts. Having someone look at it first to diagnose is problematic (but not prohibitively so) taking time and two inconvenient trips.

Should I do it or is that so foolish should I wait? Is it stupid not to have the mechanic look at it?

If doing it is not really stupid does anyone have a parts list? Hard to figure out what parts I need from on-line parts lists.

With Sewell off-line, considering getting parts from Butler Lexus of South Atlanta or MyLParts. Any better suggestions?

Might it be reasonable to change bearings at same time? (No indication they are bad.)

Any advice appreciated.

Weston
Old 06-15-17, 11:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

if someone else will install your parts, why not let them do it all.....I always look at it, say you only used 70% and had 30% to go, well, how much is 30% worth, when compared to convenience....good luck. imho having new brakes is a good feeling. When I bought my used car the fronts pulsated, and luckily the dealership replaced them no charge (I should have caught it on the test drive)

FRONT ROTORS 43512-50220

FRONT BRAKE PADS 04465-50240

front sensor (get aftermarket)

47770-50050

front shims 04945-50060

rear sensor (get aftermarket)

47770-50060

rear rotors
42431-50070

rear pads
04466-50091

rear shims

04946-50040
Old 06-15-17, 11:39 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by wmbinford
I live in Austin, Texas. Bought car from Florida Lexus dealer three years ago with 37000 miles with representation that dealer had done a complete brake job. Now 83000 miles and brakes vibrating slightly when applied. No other indications of brake problems. For a number of reasons cannot do brake job myself; I but I know a reasonable and Lexus knowledgable shop that will use my parts. Considering doing a front and rear complete brake job because it is convenient now and may not be when one must be done. Worried about squeal and intend to add anti squeal shim kit. If i do it I will use on-line OEM parts. Having someone look at it first to diagnose is problematic (but not prohibitively so) taking time and two inconvenient trips.

Should I do it or is that so foolish should I wait? Is it stupid not to have the mechanic look at it?

If doing it is not really stupid does anyone have a parts list? Hard to figure out what parts I need from on-line parts lists.

With Sewell off-line, considering getting parts from Butler Lexus of South Atlanta or MyLParts. Any better suggestions?

Might it be reasonable to change bearings at same time? (No indication they are bad.)

Any advice appreciated.

Weston
How do you like the Pilot Super Sports on the 430? Considering them for my 04 (Sports). Right now, I've got Michelin Premiers on 17" wheels. Soft tire/comfortable wheel size combo but still better than stock suspension. The car doesn't handle well enough to justify noisy stiff tires. Can buy new Michelin SS (and install on 18's) and trade down to Premiers (in 30 days) if I don't like the ride. The 'vette sound like a nice ride!
Old 06-15-17, 11:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
How do you like the Pilot Super Sports on the 430? Considering them for my 04 (Sports). Right now, I've got Michelin Premiers on 17" wheels. Soft tire/comfortable wheel size combo but still better than stock suspension. The car doesn't handle well enough to justify noisy stiff tires. Can buy new Michelin SS (and install on 18's) and trade down to Premiers (in 30 days) if I don't like the ride. The 'vette sound like a nice ride!
btw I have Pilot Super Sports on my 335, my guess is OP has Pilot Sport A/S' on the LS430, because PSS' would be inappropriate for our cars....
Old 06-15-17, 01:49 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
btw I have Pilot Super Sports on my 335, my guess is OP has Pilot Sport A/S' on the LS430, because PSS' would be inappropriate for our cars....
Tx. Checked w/ my tire dealer. You're right. The Pilot Sport A/S is his recommend for my 430.
Old 06-15-17, 02:02 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Where do you feel the vibration? In the steering wheel or in the brake pedal?

If it's in the steering wheel, it usually means the front rotors have warped. If its the pedal, it usually means the rear rotors. It's not foolish to wait if it's just a slight bit of feedback. But at 50k miles, the fronts probably need to be addressed anytime now depending on driving style. The rears can go 80-100k miles. So you could easily get another 3+ years on your rears.

I wouldn't touch the bearings, if the problem only happens when the brakes are depressed, I would focus on that. It can be expensive to replace wheel bearings if you are having someone do the work.

FWIW, I've used aftermarket brake pads and rotors on several Lexus and other vehicles and they've all worked great.
Old 06-15-17, 05:01 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

would suggest replacing brake fluid.
Old 06-15-17, 05:06 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What is a prophylactic brake job? Does it involve a condom?
I'd replace whatever needs replacing and not mess around with stuff that doesn't need replacing (wheel bearings).
Old 06-16-17, 06:27 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Today, I test drove an 05 Premium (Sports) w/ Pilot Super Sports. Definitely fun to drive but personally not my long term tire choice.
Old 06-17-17, 04:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Today, I test drove an 05 Premium (Sports) w/ Pilot Super Sports. Definitely fun to drive but personally not my long term tire choice.
A good tire is a terrible thing to waste...with sticky rubber maybe the LS430 does .736 on the skidpad! Their's is not to reason why
Old 06-18-17, 07:12 AM
wmbinford
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. This forum rocks! Prophylactic = preventative (and I thought it might catch the eye.)

Particularly thanks for part numbers.

I will probably replace my Michelin Pilot Super Sports with identical tires when I wear these out. For me the tires seem to have have the most noticeable impact on handling of any suspension change. I thought the affect of these tires was dramatic. (I have 18" stock wheels.)

I ill change brake fluid. Thanks. And I will be replacing all eight caliper bolts with new ones.

The Corvette is more car than I can comfortably handle, but I sure love trying!

Weston
Old 06-18-17, 01:02 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Thanks everyone. This forum rocks! Prophylactic = preventative (and I thought it might catch the eye.)

I will probably replace my Michelin Pilot Super Sports with identical tires when I wear these out. For me the tires seem to have have the most noticeable impact on handling of any suspension change. I thought the affect of these tires was dramatic. (I have 18" stock wheels.)

I ill change brake fluid. Thanks. And I will be replacing all eight caliper bolts with new ones.

Weston
The Sports Suspension option (bigger r. sway bar, slightly stiffer shocks) gives some road feedback, slightly different steering and a lot less body roll. Nice upgrade but it's still a luxury ride. The PSS's on possible buy car (also Sports) totally changed the feel of the car. In a straight line, the feel was a lot firmer. I didn't drive far enough to evaluate tire noise. Hit a corner and the response was instant. Wait, am I really driving an LS 430? LOL. These tires on a stock suspension? Dramatic sounds about right.
Old 06-19-17, 04:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Weston
Interesting, my bad, I did not know that folks were mounting Pilot Super Sports on LS'. My hope would be that tire shops are not pushing them for this application.....again, imho these are not appropriate tires for the LS430, and yes, I do own them and am speaking from personal experience...jmo
Old 06-19-17, 05:29 PM
wmbinford
Driver School Candidate

I guess I am not understanding, Johnhav430. Could I get the same great feel from another tire, maybe that has a longer life guarantee? I figured I was paying more for less miles, but is there something else I am missing? Is the tire too grippy for the suspension or something? Is my perception of the great feel illusory? What is the inappropriateness I am missing?

Weston
Old 06-19-17, 07:03 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

pilot super sport is a summer tire, not good in cold weather due to construction materials and would be unsafe in freezing weather. pilot sport A/S would be better year around but is probably more tire than an LS requires. the premier A/S is the recommended tire for a LS430, but last time I bought tires Discount tried to sell me Michelin Defenders which are only speed rated to 100 mph. even though I don't go over 100 I wanted tires that could just in case.

Quick Reply: LS430 2006 Prophylactic Brake Job