LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Almost replaced my ls430 but.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-17, 03:48 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Almost replaced my ls430 but.......

I have my trusty 2001 LS430 with 130,000 miles for almost 8 years. I've been looking on and off for the last few years for a refresh model 05-06 for the bluetooth and a few other features with no luck. Most are worn out pieces of junk. I recently came across a original owner 2005 with 86,000 miles with the right color combo I like and Nav as well. I want a base model with Nav. Unfortunately it was 4 hours away and my business has been quite busy leaving me little time. I inquired further and asked for more pics and requested a car with no paint work other than bumper covers. I won't buy a car without touching it and feeling it. The car was at the dealership for a month or so while slowly lowering the price when I first saw it. I was actually willing to fly out ($50 one way) to check it out but was not going to pay $12,000 for a 12 year old car with 86,000 miles that was definitely going to need an additional $2,000 minimum to bring it to specs (rear subwoofer always blown, valve cover gaskets, LCA bushngs, new rotors and pads, etc, etc, ).Of course the car was sold when I inquired the next day. Yes I could get $7500-$8,000 for mine but do I really want to spend 7-8 grand for a refreshed car when my present car is right up to the minute? I've resigned to accept the only refresh will be a car that I can find from a private owner before it gets to the dealer. Our cars are in demand and fewer and fewer are out there in exceptional condition. End of story....Sorry for the rambling.
Old 06-14-17, 04:27 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I'd either keep what you have or go with a newer, different model of car. Unless you're unhappy with the condition of your car, buying a lower mileage one is not going to save you $7-$8k in repairs.

The LS is just a really tough car to find with low miles, private party and willing to sell at a fair price. Especially now that so many years have passed.

Most people that bought these new have money and don't like to "fool" with selling a car themselves, so dealerships usually get the 1 owner cream puffs. And if they do sell it a Lexus dealership, the price will be jacked up to such a price it almost doesn't make sense anymore to buy. Plus, they really didn't make a lot of these anyway, it's not like a Camry or an Accord where there's an endless inventory.

Also, like you said, even if you find a nice one with low miles, all the same issues are going to be there if they haven't been dealt with. All the repairs I've put in my LS would likely just be repeated if I found one with say half the mileage I have now.

If it helps your decision making process, I'm moving on to something newer here in the next few months, probably a 1-2 year old ES350 (or I may go new). Even though I know the next vehicle won't be as nice in many ways, my LS has close to 180k miles, it's just worn out and time to move on.

Last edited by BradTank; 06-14-17 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-14-17, 05:06 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I'd either keep what you have or go with a newer, different model of car. Unless you're unhappy with the condition of your car, buying a lower mileage one is not going to save you $7-$8k in repairs.

The LS is just a really tough car to find with low miles, private party and willing to sell at a fair price. Especially now that so many years have passed.

Most people that bought these new have money and don't like to "fool" with selling a car themselves, so dealerships usually get the 1 owner cream puffs. And if they do sell it a Lexus dealership, the price will be jacked up to such a price it almost doesn't make sense anymore to buy. Plus, they really didn't make a lot of these anyway, it's not like a Camry or an Accord where there's an endless inventory.

Also, like you said, even if you find a nice one with low miles, all the same issues are going to be there if they haven't been dealt with. All the repairs I've put in my LS would likely just be repeated if I found one with say half the mileage I have now.

If it helps your decision making process, I'm moving on to something newer here in the next few months, probably a 1-2 year old ES350 (or I may go new). Even though I know the next vehicle won't be as nice in many ways, my LS has close to 180k miles, it's just worn out and time to move on.
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I won't settle for anything other than an LS430. Yes our cars are getting on with age.. Regardless. untill I find a replacement... no other Lexus models for me other than the LS430 and in great conditon. I guess I might be waiting for my funeral procession.. lol ok with me.
Old 06-14-17, 05:38 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I won't settle for anything other than an LS430. Yes our cars are getting on with age.. Regardless. untill I find a replacement... no other Lexus models for me other than the LS430 and in great conditon. I guess I might be waiting for my funeral procession.. lol ok with me.
I agree with not settling for anything but the 430. As a quiet, refined, reliable luxury car, nothing Lexus makes today touches it. Maybe newer or more gizmos, but not better than doing the basics of what a luxury car i supposed to do.
Old 06-14-17, 08:33 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

I have a feeling you'll regret going from an LS to an ES even if the ES is newer. Not that they are horrible cars but you'll be going from the flagship model to the entry level model.
Old 06-14-17, 09:23 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Second that thought. My wife drives a 330. Nice car but not even close to a 430 in comfort, interior space and drivability. I've owned many cars. Nothing compares to a 430. The private owner, low mileage cars (that don't need work) do still show up for 10-12. Based on experience, they also sell very quickly. Dealer prices are ridiculous. I've found a very nice '05 Sports w/ 80k but it's 16.5. Just isn't worth it because of the age and the repairs that will need to be done.
Old 06-15-17, 03:49 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

The ES isn't bad, but it seems like every service loaner I've ever had seemed rough at idle. Had a vibration I could feel in the steering wheel, same as with my wife's old 07 V6 Camry. Overall, nowhere near as comfortable or refined as the 430, but then again, neither is the 460.
Old 06-15-17, 06:06 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Make a list of what features you're missing, and then determine if you can live without them, and then find a workaround on those things you can't.

BT can be added here: https://www.usaspec.com/p-322-bt45-toy.aspx . It comes with a dash mic and you can install it in the console for a stealthy application - BT for streaming and phone calls, turn-by-turn NAV by voice with Google Maps.
Old 06-15-17, 09:03 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Like you said, another LS means doing repairs again. I sold my 01 Base (108) last year for 8. Zero problems from day one, 430 reliable for 3 years. Bought my 04 Modern Luxury (103) for 13. One owner, total dealer service. The usual problems fixed (TB, LCA's, driver's door lock, even new ML amp). I do like the upgrade (especially the 6 speed) but it's been repairs/improvements starting day one (best wheel size, fluids, Nav screen problems, blown subwoofer, shift issues). Now 1 year ($1k in repairs) and it's reliable. Headed to Oregon in August (1,000 miles total). This week, I'm going to look at a dealer list, one owner 05 Base (Sports) w/ 68k miles. I'd like to compare w/ my 04. Ask is 16.5 which is ridiculous (worth 11-12 maybe). A higher mileage car that's been well maintained would be cheaper and probably as good (or better).
Old 06-15-17, 09:15 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
I have a feeling you'll regret going from an LS to an ES even if the ES is newer. Not that they are horrible cars but you'll be going from the flagship model to the entry level model.

I'm under no illusions it's going to be "better", but I've driven several, and its a good value for a newer luxury car and I just don't want to spend almost twice the money for a same year LS460. I had an ES300 before the LS430, I thought it was a great car. I'm sure I will adapt. I just don't think finding an ultra low mile LS430 is worth it for me, I'm also just a bit tired of it and want to move on. I never planned for it to be my hearse.

I've had my current LS430 for around 5 years now, and I've had enough nickel and dime repairs with it approaching 200k miles that it's time to go. I also have a vacation house that I commute back and forth to in the summers, I've had a few "near breakdowns" on the way there and its time for something newer.

Car shopping has been tough, I also replaced my wife's GX that we had owned for almost 13 years with a new one, basically for the same reason. Just getting too old.

It's been a great car, but I don't want to own something where I was feel like a repair is always around the corner. Plus just the cosmetics of it are starting to show its age. Although its still in good shape, The AZ weather has taken its toll.
Old 06-15-17, 09:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Zero problems from day one, 430 reliable for 3 years...
I wonder if this is usually the case....I've only been in since Oct., but I would say zero problems (did the timing belt, LCAs, tranny drain/fill 3X, brake/coolant flush). Coming up on 12k miles, imho that is a fair amount that would have uncovered any potential problems...

Looking to the future, one would have to decide if an LS430 is reasonable with more expensive fuel. I avg'd 21.x over the life, it got over 28.5 on the highway this past week, but truth be told the daily commute is 19 mpg. When one compares this to say a 2017 Altima, that's over 10 mpg worse (ditto with all those cars, Accord, Camry, blah blah blah). If gas were $4, I would say game over for me....

part of me is saying, brand new Accord, is more realistic than 4 y.o. LS460L.....esp with a 3 y.o.
Old 06-15-17, 10:53 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

I'm under no illusions it's going to be "better", but I've driven several, and its a good value for a newer luxury car and I just don't want to spend almost twice the money for a same year LS460. I had an ES300 before the LS430, I thought it was a great car. I'm sure I will adapt. I just don't think finding an ultra low mile LS430 is worth it for me, I'm also just a bit tired of it and want to move on. I never planned for it to be my hearse.

I've had my current LS430 for around 5 years now, and I've had enough nickel and dime repairs with it approaching 200k miles that it's time to go. I also have a vacation house that I commute back and forth to in the summers, I've had a few "near breakdowns" on the way there and its time for something newer.

Car shopping has been tough, I also replaced my wife's GX that we had owned for almost 13 years with a new one, basically for the same reason. Just getting too old.

It's been a great car, but I don't want to own something where I was feel like a repair is always around the corner. Plus just the cosmetics of it are starting to show its age. Although its still in good shape, The AZ weather has taken its toll.
Near breakdowns of any 430 would get old very quickly for me. Sounds like you've gotten your money's worth on the current one. Shopping for a private sale car is always a PIA. Local Honda dealer lets us "test drive" anything used we like for 3 days. The higher price is worth it.
Old 06-15-17, 11:22 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I wonder if this is usually the case....I've only been in since Oct., but I would say zero problems (did the timing belt, LCAs, tranny drain/fill 3X, brake/coolant flush). Coming up on 12k miles, imho that is a fair amount that would have uncovered any potential problems...

Looking to the future, one would have to decide if an LS430 is reasonable with more expensive fuel. I avg'd 21.x over the life, it got over 28.5 on the highway this past week, but truth be told the daily commute is 19 mpg. When one compares this to say a 2017 Altima, that's over 10 mpg worse (ditto with all those cars, Accord, Camry, blah blah blah). If gas were $4, I would say game over for me....

part of me is saying, brand new Accord, is more realistic than 4 y.o. LS460L.....esp with a 3 y.o.
We have a Honda Pilot. It's indestructible. Dealer says 250k miles if well maintained. Hopefully an Accord as reliable. I'd still buy a good used luxury car over a new Honda. Just not sure it would be a 460.
Old 06-15-17, 11:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
We have a Honda Pilot. It's indestructible. Dealer says 250k miles if well maintained. Hopefully an Accord as reliable. I'd still buy a good used luxury car over a new Honda. Just not sure it would be a 460.
I'm just thinking that at some point, we might have to embrace the tiny 4 cyl. turbo motor, in a large car like the Accord, because it's doing 30 city, and 39 or even more highway, or something like that. I do love the V8 life, don't get me wrong, but fuel is still relatively inexpensive today....it finally dawned on my why my buddy is not impressed when I say my V8 got 28 mpg legit on a highway cruise...that's because many are used to a number like that in city driving today....
Old 06-15-17, 11:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

p.s. I was at a dealer yesterday looking for the 072 touch up paint. I overheard a cashier telling a guy (not sure his role) that a customer felt the price was way too high. Man goes, what was it? $1800. What car? '12 GX. How much labor? 4.5. That's not high at all.

I was thinking, a '12 car, what would it need for $1800? I missed the beginning of the conversation and the customer so I don't know what it needed....I do know a dealer quoted me $1400 for LCA bushings, and $1800 for front shocks, so Lexus dealer prices are out of this world....

Quick Reply: Almost replaced my ls430 but.......