LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Clunk out of stearing wheel shaft

Old 06-13-17, 05:54 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Clunk out of stearing wheel shaft

I dont believe it second problem in 250k miles besides wheel bearings and don't even count the sub which blew. At slow speed turning into the parking spot at work I get a little clunk out of the steering mechanism felt in the wheel. Any ideas whats going on here? Never had a clunk on my premium versus the sport I have now 17 verses 18 tires but might attribute it to more surface tension on the wheels/steering due to the 18's? Thanks Plus my drive door opener does not have the range it used to ideas?
Old 06-15-17, 12:34 PM
LSKelvin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I dont believe it second problem in 250k miles besides wheel bearings and don't even count the sub which blew. At slow speed turning into the parking spot at work I get a little clunk out of the steering mechanism felt in the wheel. Any ideas whats going on here? Never had a clunk on my premium versus the sport I have now 17 verses 18 tires but might attribute it to more surface tension on the wheels/steering due to the 18's? Thanks Plus my drive door opener does not have the range it used to ideas?
I get this too but not while turning. Mine clunks away while moving over bumps. Guess we're the only two.

Also have the stock 18's
Old 06-15-17, 12:39 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Could it be that brake pad shift sound? Try applying the brakes going over the same bump, same way....if the clunk disappears with brakes applied, comes back when brakes not applied, it could be the brake pad shift...supposedly shims can help, if it's the pads...
Old 06-15-17, 12:45 PM
LSKelvin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Could it be that brake pad shift sound? Try applying the brakes going over the same bump, same way....if the clunk disappears with brakes applied, comes back when brakes not applied, it could be the brake pad shift...supposedly shims can help, if it's the pads...
Dont know about the OP but mine really is just a noise from behind the steering wheel.
Old 06-15-17, 03:52 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

I had a similar issue.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ng-column.html
Old 06-18-17, 02:52 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same issue on my 04 ls430, its driving me crazy. My noise is definitely coming from inside the car somewhere in the steering shaft. No noise normally but if i drive over a series of small bumps on the road or a dirt driveway its very noisy and feels loose in the steering. No noise over larger things like speed bumps/humps.
Last year i replaced the intermediate steering shaft and the york assembly but no good, noise still there. Ive also already done exterior parts like tie rods, ball joints, bushes but as i said the noise is definitely inside the car. I read somewhere that it may be the steering screw or some people call it the steering worm (long threaded screw) Ive ordered the screw and a small bushing and getting them installed at the dealer at my next service on the 30/6/17. I'll let everyone know if it solves the issue. I hate this noise on my car!
Old 06-18-17, 03:46 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEX ES300
I have the same issue on my 04 ls430, its driving me crazy. My noise is definitely coming from inside the car somewhere in the steering shaft. No noise normally but if i drive over a series of small bumps on the road or a dirt driveway its very noisy and feels loose in the steering. No noise over larger things like speed bumps/humps.
Last year i replaced the intermediate steering shaft and the york assembly but no good, noise still there. Ive also already done exterior parts like tie rods, ball joints, bushes but as i said the noise is definitely inside the car. I read somewhere that it may be the steering screw or some people call it the steering worm (long threaded screw) Ive ordered the screw and a small bushing and getting them installed at the dealer at my next service on the 30/6/17. I'll let everyone know if it solves the issue. I hate this noise on my car!
Why didn't you just take it to the dealer and get them to figure out what is wrong with it instead of trying to figure it out yourself, especially if you are having the dealer do the work anyway?
Old 06-18-17, 04:23 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Why didn't you just take it to the dealer and get them to figure out what is wrong with it instead of trying to figure it out yourself, especially if you are having the dealer do the work anyway?
​​​​I did. I took it there first but they reckon they couldnt pin point where the noise was coming from! They then suggested it was coming from the intermediate shaft but I told them i had already replaced that part about a year ago when trying to fix the noise. This has been a long term issue. I take my car to the dealer for any issues but if they cant fix a problem then i rely on help and advice from my fellow CL members! At the end of the day a lot of us know our cars better than some dealers. For example a year ago i wanted them to extend the light time on my mirror puddle lights as they only lit up for 15 seconds. Took it to the dealer and they plugged in their diagnostic tool and said it couldnt be done. 2 days later i ordered a techstream, plugged it in, found the option setting and changed it myself....easy! Dealers dont know everything...
Old 06-18-17, 05:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LEX ES300
​​​​I did. I took it there first but they reckon they couldnt pin point where the noise was coming from! They then suggested it was coming from the intermediate shaft but I told them i had already replaced that part about a year ago when trying to fix the noise. This has been a long term issue. I take my car to the dealer for any issues but if they cant fix a problem then i rely on help and advice from my fellow CL members! At the end of the day a lot of us know our cars better than some dealers. For example a year ago i wanted them to extend the light time on my mirror puddle lights as they only lit up for 15 seconds. Took it to the dealer and they plugged in their diagnostic tool and said it couldnt be done. 2 days later i ordered a techstream, plugged it in, found the option setting and changed it myself....easy! Dealers dont know everything...
My take on the dealer is they have all specialized tools, and an intermediate skill level. They are after high dollar/margin jobs, like say charging $1800+ for a timing belt, or $1400+ for a LCA job, when they are $850 and $250 plus $100 to $125 for parts, respectively at indies. they are not into looking at a problem for 60 min, and charging $150, that's a loss for them as the tech could have been doing another $2000 job on another car. They are for knowing what something is already, and charging $150 and if you don't do the work, getting your car out in 5 min.

An indie cannot know less than this forum, and remain in business. If they come here and post looking for answers, they're not good. They also don't have the throw the baby out with the bath water mentality, as the dealerships do. And, they love to demonstrate their expertise to customers, as dealer alternatives, since they are after servicing your car for many years, and having you recommend them to friends and family. So imho they are the ones to see when one doesn't have an obvious problem....my .02....

At least with the indie I've found, I don't agree with the dealer costs the same as indies notion. Timing belt.....$890 vs. $1800, that's not the same, and the indie does a better job....
Old 06-18-17, 05:26 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

My dealer only charged $1100 for the timing belt, and that including the water pump replacement too. My issues with Independents is that if they do something that grenades your engine or something else catastrophically expensive, it might be tough to get them to cover a 5 figure repair. Might likely end up in court. With Lexus dealers, you usually have corporate Lexus/Toyota to step in.
Old 06-18-17, 03:57 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Come to think of it I had the same problem with my 010 Highlander (many problems all with extended warrantee)and it was the steering shaft. I will have em look at it next oil change then they don't charge me diagnostic, I also bring in Pennzoil oil and they charge me 11 bucks plus a filter. My last t belt was 700 bucks no tensioner or seals. Toyota dealer.
Old 06-18-17, 05:13 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

indy do a better job, let's ask the guy who had his timing belt put on backwards. my dealer charges $20 an hour more than indys and I can make an appointment for whatever service I want done. I have had a lot of bad experiences with dealers before (General Motors), but not with my Lexus dealer. they are excellent.. just made appointment for transmission service for $177, will be done while I wait and my car will be washed before I leave. will watch big screen tv and enjoy a cold drink as opposed to indy who has old magazines and no appointments so I hope they can squeeze me in. I love my Lexus and my Lexus service. good luck with your independants.