LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Trans fluid flush on an '05?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-17, 12:59 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Trans fluid flush on an '05?

My '05 LS430 has just under 114k on it and as far as I can tell there are no transmission issues. I'm just looking to do preventative maintenance. I've read about doing a trans fluid drain/refill and normally I am a DIYer on just about everything but this is one where I think I'm not.

When I had my '04 I had an indie do a D/F without issue but that indie is a 40 min drive one way and only open M/F 8 - 5 which makes it extremely hard to get my car to them to work on.

So, I found what looks to be another reputable indie but I've never used them before. When I talked to them this afternoon, they recommend doing a flush and not just a D/F. They looked to be good, are family owned, and have expanded to 3 locations so it's not just a fly by night operation. In addition they are only 15 min from my work which makes it easier to use them. However, from all the reading I've done I'm a little leery of doing a flush instead of the D/F method. I'm sure they've worked on these transmissions many times before and you would think that if there were any issues they would have changed their procedures.

As a general rule I like the idea of the flush and replacement of most of the fluid.

https://davenportmotorco.com/services/
Look at the video the under services tab.

Opinions?
Old 06-12-17, 02:09 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

not a professional, but a flush and a fluid exchange are not the same thing. so you have drain and fill, flush and fluid exchange. 3 different options. I do not think a flush is a good thing for these cars, but a fluid exchange where the fluid is allowed to drain and is replaced at the same rate is the way I would go. I am still not sure about a lot of issues on these cars. transmission holds 5 quarts and torque converter holds 6 more for total of 11. does not the fluid in the torque converter and transmission interchange? a fluid exchange would replace all the fluid in both would it not? I did 2 transmission services at my dealership. each one charged me for 4 quarts and I did them 1500 miles apart after my 95,000 mile service. I now have 126,000 miles and am thinking about doing another transmission service. I would like to see the condition of the fluid that is replaced. but I will probably not get to see it. so I will do the same thing, 2 services about 1500 miles apart to allow the fluid to work its way thru both the transmission and the torque converter. each service is about $175. I would be uncomfortable with any but a Lexus service center doing anything to my car.
The following users liked this post:
Kira X (06-12-17)
Old 06-12-17, 03:34 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I've been wanting to get do the drain and fill or fluid exchange. I too have heard the flush could be bad so I wasn't sure which would be the best route to go.
Old 06-12-17, 05:51 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I had it done 3X by an indie. imho indies have much more integrity and see faces when they think about their customers. At my shop I can call up and ask to speak to the tech. As far as I know, by design, customers don't interface with techs at dealerships. That wouldn't be in the interest of upselling. Anyway, starting at 86k? I had 3 done, they charged me for 2 since they did 2 & 3 at the same time, $86 each, and as mentioned 17% of original is left. The fluid coming out after 1, with 53% new, was black. Again, nothing lasts forever makes sense. But if burnt, leave alone. Drain and fill only, no flush. I've gone thousands of miles since #1, and no issues, so I think it's a worthwhile service. my .02
Old 06-13-17, 07:47 AM
caverman
Instructor

So, just confirmed that they use a machine to actually flush the transmission.

Has anyone done or heard of someone that's done a flush without any issues?
Old 06-13-17, 08:25 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Agree rkw. I did a D/F at 103 then a 2nd at 104. The first was done by my indie ($89). LOL also 40 minutes away and it is a headache. They did the drain (cold fluid, I asked) then refilled w/ the same amount. It shifted better (especially into reverse). After reading in here, had the dealer do the the 2nd ($250). Measure the temp of fluid, etc. It's now super smooth. Has more clean fluid which helps. Was told it was overfilled by 1/2 quart which may or may not be important. Every mechanic I've talked prefers D/F on an older car.
Old 06-13-17, 08:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caverman

On an '06 (or ones with no dipstick)....the temp is measured because that's needed to get the level correct...they have a check plug opened, and they are pumping fluid in using a hand pump....indie said maybe better to let him do it because I told him I do not routinely (never have) put my car onto 4 jackstands, and being level is important....I mean at $86 per, and he only charged me 2X to do it 3X, maybe I can let a few benjamins fly....

same with the rear diff, although that can be done with the car parked and not jacked with a long hose...having the car level is key
Old 06-13-17, 08:43 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

i had a flush(no detergents used) at 80k miles.now have 117k miles and no issues.
i had it done at a toyota dealership

Last edited by jimbosr1; 06-13-17 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-13-17, 08:50 AM
caverman
Instructor

Well the indie that I have used in the past charges $150 for a D/F. I asked if he would drop the car, drive it around, and then do another D/F. He will but he wants $150 each time, which I get because it's the same process just done twice. That's partially why I thought about going to the other indie but they do the flush and I'm not sure I want to do that. After all, if the flush causes transmission issues it will be coming out of my pocket and not theirs. This almost makes me want to just leave the transmission alone and not change the oil at all.

I'm going to call a local dealer here in a little bit and see what they say. They probably don't want to deal with it so I'm sure it's not going to be cheap to go to them.
Old 06-13-17, 08:55 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I'm going to look into the drain and fill. I will check the cost at the dealership. If it's too pricey I will have my friend's shop do it.
Old 06-13-17, 09:02 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

just looking, and park place lexus in plano has the exact same web site as my dealer here in Lubbock. look under service and select transmission service when scheduling repair. it will tell you their price then
Old 06-13-17, 09:27 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

That's partially why I thought about going to the other indie but they do the flush and I'm not sure I want to do that. After all, if the flush causes transmission issues it will be coming out of my pocket and not theirs. This almost makes me want to just leave the transmission alone and not change the oil at all.

I'm going to call a local dealer here in a little bit and see what they say. They probably don't want to deal with it so I'm sure it's not going to be cheap to go to them.

I would only have a dealer touch this generation of transmission, or a shop that specialized in Toyota/ Lexus and were familiar with it and had serviced them. Not a general service shop. There's a very good chance they don't even have the right manufacturer Techstream equipment. And it's extremely sensitive to having the right amount in there.

If a Lexus dealer does screw up and ruins your transmission, I like my odds a lot better that they will make it right than I do a "mom and pop" type place.

And if they are telling you any problems are on you, my honest opinion is leave it alone as just about the only time anyone has a transmission problem here starts out with "and I just had the fluid changed...".
Old 06-13-17, 10:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coulter
I would only have a dealer touch this generation of transmission, or a shop that specialized in Toyota/ Lexus and were familiar with it and had serviced them. Not a general service shop. There's a very good chance they don't even have the right manufacturer Techstream equipment. And it's extremely sensitive to having the right amount in there.

If a Lexus dealer does screw up and ruins your transmission, I like my odds a lot better that they will make it right than I do a "mom and pop" type place.

And if they are telling you any problems are on you, my honest opinion is leave it alone as just about the only time anyone has a transmission problem here starts out with "and I just had the fluid changed...".
Ask any indie, exactly how do you do it, can I see my car on the lift, and how much? If any of these are true....If he says, dunno we go on the internet and will find out, no, for insurance reasons you can't come back to the service area, and it costs $86.01....see ya.

Honestly, any shop worth their salt can tell you better than any internet forum how a task/job is done. That's their living. If they can't, or won't, they're no good.
Old 06-13-17, 10:34 AM
caverman
Instructor

Both the indies that I'm considering doing the job (if I do it) specialize in Lexus/Toyota only.

I had to leave a message with the Lexus dealership service adviser to see what he says. Not sure he will even call me back once I said I have a '05 LS430.
Old 06-13-17, 10:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

My experience with Lexus, is they are super super nice, but don't know what they're talking about, unfortunately. I asked to be quoted for a coolant flush (drain and fill I found out) and brake flush, and they were totally off. And these SA's had their own offices.

Quick Reply: Trans fluid flush on an '05?