LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2001 LS430 wiper blade change

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-16, 09:53 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2001 LS430 wiper blade change

I went to the local parts place to pick up some wiper blade refills (Bosch Excel+, 16" and 22"), and I just realized that I don't have a clue as to how to get the old ones off.
Of all the 'simple tasks' to do on a vehicle, this is the one that I hate the most!
It should be straight-forward, but figuring out the 'trick' to it would be helpful. Are there any videos out there???
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-06-16, 10:20 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loll
Faced the same issue as you.
The trick stoping the wipers upright. To do so switch the ignition, then engage the wipers so they start to move, when the wipers are upright switch the egnition of. The wipers will stay there giving you access to do the gob.
Old 02-06-16, 10:24 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Her a vid I found on YouTube
Old 02-07-16, 05:33 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just for more coverage, I've used 18" on passenger side with no issues with clashing or hitting edges. I have no idea why Lexus went with such a small 16" on passenger side.
Old 02-07-16, 06:18 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Just for more coverage, I've used 18" on passenger side with no issues with clashing or hitting edges. I have no idea why Lexus went with such a small 16" on passenger side.
That's awesome. Thanks.

What type of wiper blade do you use?
Old 02-07-16, 06:37 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Fixman
Loll
Faced the same issue as you.
The trick stoping the wipers upright. To do so switch the ignition, then engage the wipers so they start to move, when the wipers are upright switch the egnition of. The wipers will stay there giving you access to do the gob.
OK, I finally got it done yesterday, after considerable tugging' and cussin'!
Unfortunately, the video doesn't exactly show how the old wiper blade is retained by the almost invisible clip, nestled deep inside the end of the wiper arm. The old blade was also a Bosch, but designed a little differently.
After considerable pushing, I finally got the new blades to 'click' into place.
I don't recall ever having this much trouble replacing wiper blades before, on any vehicle!
Old 02-07-16, 09:49 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Thank goodness yur not doing my brain surgery Doc, lol.
Old 02-07-16, 01:47 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Anybody knows where I can get some wiperlinkage bushings? Could not find anything aftermarket. Dealer wants only to replace the whole linkage apparatus at 500 plus taxes
Old 02-09-16, 09:30 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Thank goodness yur not doing my brain surgery Doc, lol.
Hmmm...
Head's up on that one!
Old 05-19-17, 08:54 PM
Tod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a pair of Goodyear Hybrid wiper blades (24" and 16") at Costco based on the Goodyear manual. The passenger side blades fit fine, but the drivers side blade does not fit properly - it seems that the housing is too wide to fit on the Lexus hook arm. Has anyone found a fix for this?
Old 05-19-17, 09:56 PM
OkNowWhat
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed Bosch ICON wipers and was having the same issue. With the Bosch wiper there is a plastic piece that surrounds the mounting area. It can be removed to give room for the wiper arm. I'm honestly not sure if it is meant to come off or if it just broke off in an easy clean manner haha.

Also, I'm not paid by Bosch but after years of going from wiper to wiper - going cheap or going expensive I will never use another wiper than Bosch ICON. They last well over a year where every other wiper I've used starts to leave streaks in 6 to 9 months.

Good luck!
Old 05-20-17, 02:43 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

After experimenting with several modern wipers that did not fit right or did not work well I decided to stick to using good quality old school wipers (listed below in 24 and 16 inch size) on the LS. They work well, are completely silent, and go on and come off easily.

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-20-17, 05:23 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks Jab just ordered 2 sets, otherwise my LS is so sweet man with the sport susp it just hums.
Old 05-20-17, 05:44 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Why even bother to try to buy a cheaper wiper and just throw away the Lexus OEM blade holder? You can get the OEM Lexus rubber inserts (reuse the steel "blades" on each side for $11 dollars of less. That provides you with a perfect blade. I replace my blades yearly weather they look like they don't need replacement or not.
Old 05-20-17, 07:41 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Why even bother to try to buy a cheaper wiper and just throw away the Lexus OEM blade holder? You can get the OEM Lexus rubber inserts (reuse the steel "blades" on each side for $11 dollars of less. That provides you with a perfect blade. I replace my blades yearly weather they look like they don't need replacement or not.
I absolutely agree that buying the wiper blade only and replacing is the best method.

I did blade only replacement for many years but over the last 5 years or so at least in my current area, and where I last lived in Dallas, the local Toyota or Lexus dealers no longer stocked or sold replacement wiper blades, they only sell full wiper assemblies (usually not even Toyota brand) so I had to give up on the replacement blade idea.

Quick Reply: 2001 LS430 wiper blade change