LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-17, 10:10 PM
enigma25
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Opinions please

This a test fit of my new wheels; OZ Racing Ultraleggara, 18". I want to change the color. While it's down for powder coating, I have coilovers and rotors and pads.
i will also be painting the calipers. Just a silver color like factory ... or:
what color rim calipers combo would you go with? I'm leaning towards gunmetal rims with silver calipers . Tell me what you like.
Oh, I did have to grind a slight bit on the calipers to keep the wheels from touching. It was a very small amount, but it was necessary.
Thanks for your input! (I know I'm going to get flamed for something....)

Last edited by enigma25; 05-06-17 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-07-17, 03:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I like the rims as I was going to get those for my 335, they were in the cart and to be mounted with Michelin PSS, but I nixed it due to cost and just got the tires, having them mounted on the OEM....

I like the original colors of the calipers so imho any gray color of the rims will do....did you not go with the spacers, and so they made slight contact with the calipers? Is that front or rear?

Good luck and let's see them when they're done!
Old 05-07-17, 04:28 AM
enigma25
Rookie

They made the slightest contact on the passengers side, front caliper. A minute with an angle grinder and all good. No spacers, just Hub centric rings and all new lug nuts. They ride great! No noticeable noise increase or reduction in ride quality.
They are perfect; not a scratch to be found!
Thanks for the input! I'll let you know what I decide. I just have to find a good powder coating company. I hear great things about Prince wheels, but that's going to cost a lot in shipping. I'll keep looking until I find a good company. Can't wait to do the coil overs!
Thanks again, John!
Best,
Rick
Old 05-07-17, 04:31 AM
enigma25
Rookie

One more thing; while changing them over, I was amazed at the difference in weight vs. the stick wheels! I know we are comparing apples to oranges here, and I doubt it makes too much of a difference on a street car, but these OZ's are incredibly light!
Old 05-07-17, 06:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

If I'm not mistaken, they're just over 18 lbs. each, potentially 10 lbs. less per corner, pretty incredible. The only possible benefit of OEM is they don't usually dent easily, so just be careful with potholes....and make sure snow doesn't accumulate, it does on my MSW's for snow tires, and this freezes in winter...otherwise, outstanding rims, not just looks but quality!
Old 05-07-17, 06:50 AM
enigma25
Rookie

I had a set of OZ's on a 911SC, years ago, and they held up very well. Sadly, PA roads are much worse now, than ever before so it is a concern. I just have to be very diligent in watching the roads, hopefully I won't have any problems.
Despite others comments about locking lugs, which I understand and agree with, I put them on anyway. The set I bought are all locking lugs, not just one per wheel. I know they can be defeated, but it might deter a rookie.
I am getting the factory wheels refinished and mounting winter tires so I have a nice set of winter wheels and tires.
Old 05-07-17, 12:31 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

The wheels will look great when painted/coated (the gold is not a great look on a silver car, IMO).

As for calipers being painted, typically a color that contrasts and makes them stand out is a nice look. On a silver car, maybe a high gloss black?? With silver or white decals?

Post picks when you decide...
The following users liked this post:
enigma25 (05-09-17)
Old 05-07-17, 01:32 PM
enigma25
Rookie

Yes, the gold doesn't work with silver, that's why I'm getting them powder coated. The gloss black calipers is a good idea. That should pair up well with a gunmetal wheel. Thanks for your opinion! Appreciate it!
Old 05-07-17, 05:06 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

How much to powder coat?
Old 05-07-17, 07:23 PM
enigma25
Rookie

Anywhere from$75 -$200 per wheel. I'm waiting for a quote from Prince Wheels.
Old 05-08-17, 04:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by enigma25
I had a set of OZ's on a 911SC, years ago, and they held up very well. Sadly, PA roads are much worse now, than ever before so it is a concern. I just have to be very diligent in watching the roads, hopefully I won't have any problems.
Despite others comments about locking lugs, which I understand and agree with, I put them on anyway. The set I bought are all locking lugs, not just one per wheel. I know they can be defeated, but it might deter a rookie.
I am getting the factory wheels refinished and mounting winter tires so I have a nice set of winter wheels and tires.
Was that when 911's oversteered, and if you let off the throttle it swapped ends? I vaguely remember being a kid and driving one where the clutch was like a VW Beetle and went into the floor...

Any chance you would want to upgrade your brakes? Now that would be sweet to go along with the rims.... (maybe I should chill and not give you ideas on spending more $$$$)
Old 05-08-17, 06:48 AM
enigma25
Rookie

Yes, that was when a 911 would bite you if you didn't understand the handling characteristics! During an early driver's ed with PCA, I was into a decreasing radius, right hander and a pretty good clip. My instructor could feel the back end getting light as I began to lift off the throttle. He simply put his hand on my right knee and sad "throttle on NOW or we are going to end up in the Armco!" I listened and the rear end bit back into the asphalt and we went through the turn just fine. I think I sweat through my driving suit that day! 911's demanded you adapt your driving style to the physics of the machine, or pay the consequences. Trailing Throttle Oversteer simply meant, "don't lift" which is easier said than done! I miss those days, and yes, I have swapped ends a few times, but thankfully there was enough run-off room!! Good times!! Floor mounted pedals took a little getting used to, but felt very natural after a while. At least to me!

To answer your suggestion: yes, a brake system upgrade would be great, but not in the budget now. I'll upgrade rotors and pads for now and someday we might be able to add some Brembo calipers! I must say, the stock brake system in our cars is quite impressive!
Old 05-08-17, 07:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Funny I'm addressing all my car "desires" little by little...my first cars had fixed calipers (Volvos), but none since, so the LS has them. Now I want huge brakes, 15" or larger discs, on my next car. It's hard to justify an upgrade, but if there were money in the budget, how sweet they would look, I'm thinking dark blue probably....6 piston calipers...funny how many things could get checked off by a M2, but my understanding is they cannot be had at list, let alone discounted from list (could be wrong)....

We as kids once went on a 928S4 thrill ride. When I say thrill, the salesperson took it out of the showroom, and lost control on the street. Very terrifying actually. He apologized profusely stating the tires were so new (like 7 miles) that they were like greasy slicks (old school P7's me thinks), and he shouldn't have been so aggressive....I remember a number that even back then, 75% of 928's were autos, and the stick was less common, but still available. Too bad it was a harbinger of things to come....I would love to come across that elusive white whale, the 6 manual Cayenne GTS!
enigma25 (05-09-17)
Old 05-09-17, 05:16 AM
enigma25
Rookie

I was invited to the Porsche Driving experience in the early 90's. Every production model, driving instructors and engineers, and a wide open parking lot with an autocross course set up. They even had a Dodge Grand Caravan that they converted to Porsche badges, wheels, brakes, interior, etc. It was very cool. My friend did not understand a Getrag transmission(reverse is located at top left, where first would be), and he stuffed it into reverse on the autocross course... They pulled that car from the fleet for the rest of the day.
We drove a Merkur to the event. Brand new, right off the lot. It wasn't the XR4ti, but the larger, four door model. During a heated debate about the car being front or all wheel drive, the driver decided to end the debate at the next light by redlining it and sidestepping the clutch...it was front wheel drive...and it was now very, very broken. We coasted into a shopping center with a trail of fluids marking our path. We had a bag phone (yes, I'm old), and we called the dealer to come pick us up. He took it in stride and had a good laugh about it; "Why didn't you idiots just read the owner's manual?" Good times.

OK, I have decided that I am getting the wheels changed to gunmetal grey, with a satin top coat, and black calipers with a white 'lexus' decal. Prince wheels offers a great service, but just too expensive with shipping and they need 4 weeks turnaround time. Maybe next time, as I have heard nothing but great things about them and the customer service was very responsive.

Pictures to follow when I get them completed.

Thanks!
Johnhav430 (05-09-17)
Old 05-09-17, 05:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Oh man, what memories related to cars!

We did a Porsche event in 2015--I followed the link again just last week, and it said sorry this program has been discontinued! lol

But it had autocross and lead/follow--lead and follow was in a Cayman S, Cayman GTS, 991 Carrera S, and 991 GTS, unreal. We were instructed to floor the vehicles on the straight, ok, whatever you say! Because my wife only took one turn in the Cayman S, that meant 2 turns in the 3 remaining cars, or 7 runs for me! The autocross was done with a warm up in a Panamera S, and the timed event in a Panamera GTS. The instructor told me, you're always on the gas, or on the brakes, never coasting. If you're coasting, you're losing time.

I have to admit, Porsche has a more impressive array of cars, but BMW does put on a very excellent event (although it was with 540i's two weekends ago, in the pouring rain, no M's etc.).

Looking forward to seeing the rims and calipers--do you need to remove the calipers, or do they get done on the car? Oh, and anytime I get down on our smartkey system still having a thing to twist, I believe Porsche is like that today! And that was a big step for them, having a traditional key and fob. And yes, the key belongs to the left of the wheel, the handbrake to the left of the seat, and R to the left of 1!

Name:  20150801_134540_zpsnghhyswy.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  272.6 KB

Quick Reply: Opinions please