LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430 Aftermarket stereo install 2017 with NAV?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 07:07 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
A Bay Area company called Grom makes a plug and play unit that installs behind the stereo. Depending on which model (and price), can have USB/Navigation/Bluetooth/text or various combinations. Cell connect to play music for instance. Asked their tech. They do work in an 04-06 LS 430. Also watched the install video (LS430). Looks pretty cool. Top of the line is 499 but there are several less expensive options. I know they did beta testing on multiple 430's in the Bay Area and company seems well run. No experience yet but looks pretty cool.
I just added a GROM to my LS a couple weeks ago. I spent $150 including buying some plastic trim tools. I watched the video and it took me about 40 mins start to finish to install. There are some pros/cons but all in all it's worth it. If you need specifics let me know.
Old 05-09-17, 10:37 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
I just added a GROM to my LS a couple weeks ago. I spent $150 including buying some plastic trim tools. I watched the video and it took me about 40 mins start to finish to install. There are some pros/cons but all in all it's worth it. If you need specifics let me know.
Yes I'd appreciate specifics. Glad to hear the install went well. I watched the video. It looks pretty straightforward.
Old 05-09-17, 10:45 PM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah i wanna Bluetooth stream music.. been looking at grom beatsonic and something called mira cast or mira link. It's like a Chromecast for your car. But im mainly looking for best sound quality.. any one have input?
Old 05-10-17, 04:08 AM
lildann
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I installed the BeatSonic kit in my LS430 myself. I have a 2004 with navigation and Mark Levinson. I ordered the kit directly from them about 2 years ago for under $400 and installed a Pioneer double din. It is a good looking kit. I get compliments all the time. But, for me, it doesn't have enough bass. My daily is a 2003 Avalanche with a Bose system and a Pioneer double din. It sounds way better.

Old 05-10-17, 06:59 AM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Yes I'd appreciate specifics. Glad to hear the install went well. I watched the video. It looks pretty straightforward.
You can look at my thread below but basically you'll need a premium Spotify account in order to display the song/artist on the Nav. Although, even with a premium account mine doesn't display song/artist. I need to contact them and see what that's all about but I personally like the Pandora's UI over Spotify anyway but Spotify still seems to have better sound quality.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ggestions.html
Old 05-11-17, 06:26 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Get a BT adapter - such as https://www.usaspec.com/p-322-bt45-toy.aspx - Their website states $229 - Amazon has it for $143 w/Prime 2-day shipping. Easy-peasy install and it works awesomely.

This displays music info on NAV and you have steering wheel controls to change the song if you don't like it.

Use Siri or Google Now on your phone to dial by commanding "Hey, Google, call Mother."

Old 05-11-17, 10:01 AM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Get a BT adapter - such as https://www.usaspec.com/p-322-bt45-toy.aspx - Their website states $229 - Amazon has it for $143 w/Prime 2-day shipping. Easy-peasy install and it works awesomely.

This displays music info on NAV and you have steering wheel controls to change the song if you don't like it.

Use Siri or Google Now on your phone to dial by commanding "Hey, Google, call Mother."

any info on sound quality
Old 05-11-17, 10:36 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah...all BT sounds the same - it's digital radio waves.
Old 05-12-17, 01:21 PM
regeenoble
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know some people have had issues, but I have loved the Grom VLine. Has been working like a charm for me and includes carplay, bluetooth streaming, Waze, and other app support, at $500, though, I could imagine some people might hesitate. I paid $300 presale price and could not be happier.
Old 05-12-17, 01:35 PM
Atomsplitr
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by regeenoble
i know some people have had issues, but I have loved the Grom VLine. Has been working like a charm for me and includes carplay, bluetooth streaming, Waze, and other app support, at $500, though, I could imagine some people might hesitate. I paid $300 presale price and could not be happier.
Do you have any pics of what the screen shows on the NAV? I went to the website but the radio does not match my LS430. Thanks!
Old 05-12-17, 07:45 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by regeenoble
How's the sound quality? Maps display comes from cell phone connect? Sounds like another possible is Sony replacement which includes a new screen. Install looks hacked tho.
The following users liked this post:
Otis1979 (06-17-19)
Old 05-12-17, 10:26 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I did the Beat Sonic kit with a Double DIN Kenwood head unit.
Old 05-15-17, 06:58 PM
vfr700f2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OkNowWhat
Thanks everyone! I kept hearing all this talk about dins and it was driving me crazy not knowing what it was haha. Just to show how ignorant I was I assumed din was a type of connector... based solely on the fact that din rhymes with pin, like the pins on a connector - yikes.
Yet you're not wrong! The DIN connector most of us would probably recognize is the round plug used for microphones or CD changers.....
Old 05-22-17, 12:23 PM
gstern1994
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GROM - How does it interact with phonecalls

Hi -

For the owners of the GROM sytem, how does it interact with phone calls? Does the Lexus system takeover when a call comes in - or does the GROM perform the calling as well?
Old 05-22-17, 07:33 PM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by gstern1994
Hi -

For the owners of the GROM sytem, how does it interact with phone calls? Does the Lexus system takeover when a call comes in - or does the GROM perform the calling as well?
I have the GROM without the Bluetooth so my phone uses the Lexus system. If I remember correctly, I saw where someone mentioned that GROM actually recommends using your OEM Bluetooth for phone calls if it's available. You can always check with GROM and see what they say. I've talked with them a few times through chat.

Quick Reply: LS 430 Aftermarket stereo install 2017 with NAV?