LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Just read a topic ls430 vs s430 on benzworld

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-17, 08:07 PM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just read a topic ls430 vs s430 on benzworld

I'm a member of benzworld before i join Clublexus and I just ran into a comparison of the ls430 and s430 comparison . I do notice Mercedes owner are super biased . I recently came from a s500 to a ls430 so their comparison doesn't hold any water. I can tell you that the LS is far more superior than the s500 in all the categories that counts . They also claim the LS is boring, which I'd never knew that a car nearly two tons supposed to be fun . That's all they can claim , because they know in their heart that their Mercedes has alot to learn in the luxury dept. I believe that Mercedes owner are just loyal to the point where they know they own something that's waiting to sit in the driveway for weeks. I'm not bashing any s class owner but please be aware that I used to own a s500 and if I still do . I probably be paying child support for the car and to my wife . She threatens me plenty of time on getting rid of the Benz lol . That car died on her maybe 30 times in the 4 years of ownership . At the end of the day my LS rides as good and does everything much much better . The only compliant I have is the undetectable road noise coming from the driver side .

Last edited by lexusls4; 04-18-17 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-18-17, 08:15 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I have a very wealthy but frugal friend that always drives an S class Benz that are about 8-12 years old. He buys them used when they are about 8-9 years old for about 25% of original retail, drives them for 3-4 years and then buys another newer version. He also always buys a 3-4 year warranty for about $3000/year each time because they do break down and without the warranty would be killer expensive to repair.

btw - I have driven a couple of them and overall I prefer the LS430 with the exception of the seats in the S class tend to fit me a little better but I am a smallish person

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-18-17 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-18-17, 08:33 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusls4
I can tell you that the LS is far more superior than the s500 in all the categories that counts . .
I'm not so sure I agree, isn't the LS about reliability which lends to affordability? For example, it's likely a person can pay cash for a 2006 LS430. A 2017 car, it's likely they would take out a loan. I would say a LS is far superior when it comes to reliability, and that does count, because without it, how many can realistically drive a flagship car? But does handling count? Does power count? Does the feel of the materials count? If reliability were equal, would you choose a LS over a A8L, when the A8L tends to cost less for the same model year and same mileage? C'mon, be honest. One has to compromise, because if we didn't, we'd all be driving 2017 S550's all day long. Tonight we went out and celebrated a win, porcini rubbed rib eyes, crab cocktails, 24 yr. old scotch (I hate scotch), crazily priced bottles of wine--this is not my lifestyle, but I go along as part of my job. This is the S550 lifestyle, however. Sat. I'll be autocrossing the new 5 series, which I will be the first to admit, I cannot afford to purchase. I don't have any reason to say my LS is superior to it, because, it's not. It just fits my needs and current lifestyle and hope of upgrading our home. my .02
Old 04-19-17, 04:32 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I'm not so sure I agree, isn't the LS about reliability which lends to affordability? For example, it's likely a person can pay cash for a 2006 LS430. A 2017 car, it's likely they would take out a loan. I would say a LS is far superior when it comes to reliability, and that does count, because without it, how many can realistically drive a flagship car? But does handling count? Does power count? Does the feel of the materials count? If reliability were equal, would you choose a LS over a A8L, when the A8L tends to cost less for the same model year and same mileage? C'mon, be honest. One has to compromise, because if we didn't, we'd all be driving 2017 S550's all day long. Tonight we went out and celebrated a win, porcini rubbed rib eyes, crab cocktails, 24 yr. old scotch (I hate scotch), crazily priced bottles of wine--this is not my lifestyle, but I go along as part of my job. This is the S550 lifestyle, however. Sat. I'll be autocrossing the new 5 series, which I will be the first to admit, I cannot afford to purchase. I don't have any reason to say my LS is superior to it, because, it's not. It just fits my needs and current lifestyle and hope of upgrading our home. my .02
John, the OP's post is about a comparison between the LS430 and the S430. Of course the equation changes if we start talking about what's available today...
The following 2 users liked this post by Gronemus:
2KHarrier (04-19-17), mannye (04-23-17)
Old 04-19-17, 04:58 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gronemus
John, the OP's post is about a comparison between the LS430 and the S430. Of course the equation changes if we start talking about what's available today...
OP said he came from a S500, and compared the S500 to the LS430, with the latter being superior in every way. I dunno, I think there was a post where someone said they owned a E90 BMW, and the LS430 handles better....many things are subjective, but .73 g vs. .87 g is fact lol I'm just trying to point out that any given year, same year, a MB is generally superior in almost every way to a Lexus, EXCEPT cost of ownership and cost of maintenance with reliability, and initial cost. That is huge, because many people can afford to buy or lease a flagship car, but they cannot afford to maintain it. The LS is almost like a Camry for reliability, which puts it into many common folks' hands. Just my .02.
Old 04-19-17, 02:38 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i ride in my boss' brand new S550 all the time. Not that impressed honestly, and i'm comparing it directly with my 05 UL. It is much larger, better nav, better backup camera, fresher interior design but not necessarily more attractive. Noise/vibration seems the same more or less on the highway. S550 probably tighter on mountain driving, not sure. Acceleration feels the same. S550 has the utterly stupid engine stop at a stoplight feature, so annoying. Both have nice seats, adjustable in many ways. Both have nice stereos. His seems quite reliable, but he's on the 2nd 2 yr lease so these are essentially new cars. Fit/finish is same, both excellent, no rattles in either.

obviously, a better compare is between the LS460 and the S550. No way is it worth another 25k, to me anyway.

as a committed DIYer, the decision is no brainer when you look at the price of benz parts. crazy high.
Old 04-21-17, 01:11 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Having friends with older BMWs (E36s, 39s, 46s and 92s), Volkswagens/Audis and Mercs and seeing the nightmares they've had with keeping them on the road, the 6 grand I paid for a reliable V8 cruiser is a bloody good deal and a hell of a lot of car for the money. One friend has an E92 320i touring and its value halved in the space of a year, plus he spent thousands on it after it sheared both camshafts (that was the start of the troubles). It has a permanent check engine light that burns brighter than any V-Dub I've ever seen
Old 04-21-17, 03:38 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Also remember that ls430 owners more then likely have a car that will start in the morning then benz owners.
Old 04-21-17, 04:39 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

2 totally different cars is every respect except New Car Prices and status within the brand. I'm afraid to give my opinion of Mercedes for fear of ramifications...even though I'm a member of this forum. Enough said. Read between the lines.
Old 04-22-17, 04:07 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Analogy....would I be comfortable driving my LS430 to Portland ME? Sure. My wife's 2011 SUV? Sure. My E92 335? Not really, "in case" something were to happen, how miserable would it be to have to flatbed the car 420 miles? But no question, the car is the best driving, the best quality, and the best built of the three. The thing that many don't acknowledge, it was never designed to compare to a Toyota for reliability. It was designed for road manners and performance. Why else would a S550 hold .87 on the skidpad, this isn't even a AMG model, it's the base. When a LS430 does .73. With all that being said, I went for the extended warranty, and nothing happened.

Anyway, let's say a LS is a red headed stepchild. So be it, we here are comfortable with its seemingly bulletproof reliability. Just understand, there are others out there who want performance over reliability, and have the $$$$$ to get it.
Old 04-22-17, 04:40 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Analogy....would I be comfortable driving my LS430 to Portland ME? Sure. My wife's 2011 SUV? Sure. My E92 335? Not really, "in case" something were to happen, how miserable would it be to have to flatbed the car 420 miles? But no question, the car is the best driving, the best quality, and the best built of the three.
Well I guess your definition of quality is different from mine, as is your definition of well built. How can you make that claim when you admit that you wouldn't even take it on a long trip for fear, I guess, of breaking down?

The thing that many don't acknowledge, it was never designed to compare to a Toyota for reliability. It was designed for road manners and performance. Why else would a S550 hold .87 on the skidpad, this isn't even a AMG model, it's the base. When a LS430 does .73. With all that being said, I went for the extended warranty, and nothing happened.
You seem to be hung up on the 0.73 skidpad value on the LS for some reason. For another perspective on that I suggest reading this comparison article from back in the day:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...s-ls430-page-7

As I mentioned before, the OP was pointing out the thread in the Benzworld forum comparing the LS430 to the S430. Yes he also makes a comparison between his LS430 and his previous S500. I figured that since he has owned both vehicles he has the perspective to give a better opinion of what he likes between the two than someone who has never owned a S500.

Anyway, let's say a LS is a red headed stepchild...
Red headed stepchild? How do you figure??? I didn't buy this car for the bullet proof reliability although it definitely is a great bonus to have I'll admit. There are many reasons why I like this car. As far as performance, whenever I really need to get my ya-ya's out I just hop on my motorcycle and scratch that itch...
Old 04-22-17, 07:05 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...s-ls430-page-7 (2004 Voted number 1)

I don't hear LS owners down talking Benzs as we R content, but if ya want brand recognition and expenses that come along with it get a Benz. I will take my LS Sport and my thrifty Toyota dealer and network of Toyota dealers when I am on the road.
Old 04-23-17, 04:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

....did you ever golf with someone who has better clubs than you do, and shoot a lower score? Or worse score? Did you really care, as long as you like your own clubs and they feel good in your own hands?
Old 04-23-17, 06:57 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I do think Lexus kind of copied the shape of the S430 FWIW. I think if U look at prices on autotrader German cars depreciate faster for the more expensive cars they are. What does that tell ya. I have never driven S430 loved the A8's in 05-06 new body style Quattro is nice just older 745's, S430's, Jags, A8's could become money pits. All the Infiniti M45's i drove where pounded or did not seem the same solid build as the LS. Now newer Benz's Beemers etc are more dependable and I would own a German car with a certified warrantee to 100k before a LS460 but would probably want an extended warrantee on a 460 also(I have a 014 Touareg TDI with 100 k drivetrain warrantee and emmissions warrantee I like and hangin on their forum they are pretty dependable). I am happy to keep plugging along in my trusty ol LS where parts and maintenance are cheap and I have money for other stuff. Cars ain't what they used to be to me. I like to go in for a oil change filters and be out the door for 100 bucks versus ungoshly bills I have heard of from older german cars. Look at their forums its like one problem after another. Look at Audi's, for alot of service you take front bumper off. I still smile ear to ear gettin in my LS but bills make me frown. I take care of my LS though it makes a difference tranny drains every 60 k syn oil, do the pumpkin Amsoil, flush brake and steering but even neglected LS's will be around longer than older Benz's imo.
Old 04-23-17, 08:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

What I like about German cars, and wish were the same with Japanese, is the ease of getting OEM quality parts at a steep discount. For example, I just replaced my hood struts on my E92 335. Discount, they are $62 each online, OEM. But Stabilus Lift-o-mats are $16 ea with free shipping. You guessed it, the ones that came out of the car have a BMW logo, say E92/93, and say "Stabilus." I saw Stabilus Lift-o-mat on the 12 cyl. 760 M sport yesterday. This happens all day long with parts--do you want the logo, or not? (not)

Say we wanted Tokico hood struts for our car, without the Toyota or Lexus logo? I was not able to find them. Or say the brake sensor wire, I went with Raybestos, but what if I wanted original, and didn't want to pay $78 for it?

We've documented that probably the Aisin TKT timing belt kit is the best one to get. But, each and every component is not the same as OEM, which cost a lot more. Then you get into the red vs. pink coolant, should we just use red with Aisin, etc.

Every situation is different, and imho it's all about what you prefer and feel comfortable with. Who cares is someone says their car is better than yours (we're not 16 y.o. here), the only person you need to justify your purchase decision to is yourself....

Quick Reply: Just read a topic ls430 vs s430 on benzworld