LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Looking for MP3 player suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-17, 06:19 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanHall
This is the one I got. https://www.amazon.com/TOYNU3-Android-interface-removal-radios/dp/B00WINHP3C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492491130&sr=8-2&keywords=toynu3

It comes with a 3 foot USB extension that I ran up under the console and plugged in an Apple Lightening cable next to the seat. Stashed the box in the same spot Tmiken did, plenty of room.
Thanks. I'm leaning towards that one. I just need to see if my phone will connect to the factory bluetooth so I can decide if I need to upgrade to the bluetooth as well. My '04 never connected to my phone (LG3).

I found this one last night. I like the USB/AUX hook up. I'm thinking I could put a hole in the bottom of the inside of the center console and mount it there. That would make it more like the way newer cars come from the factory. I'll just add a low profile MP3 stick that holds all my music. Not sure if it would allow me to hook directly to my Android though so I'm not sure it's exactly what I want just yet.
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-18-17, 07:28 AM
enigma25
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4cylinder
I have a Bluetooth FM transmitter sitting in the cigarette lighter next to the shift lever, with easy-to-feel buttons so I can manipulate it while keeping my eyes on the road. You can get a good one for $20 or less on Amazon. Mine has two full-speed USB ports for charging phones which is awesome. It even allows me to play off a 3.5mm connection or a micro SD card or even a flash drive plugged into one port if I choose.

My transmitter allows me to answer the phone, pause/resume music, and skip to the next or previous track. The track control functions will work with any Android or iOS music app, including Pandora and Spotify. Volume can be controlled with the car's own ****. On Android, if you hold down the pause button you can activate the OK Google voice control feature. If you're using the phone for GPS navigation the guidance prompts also get routed through the car stereo and automatically pause your music when they occur, closely mimicking a factory install in a new car.

I'd recommend going this route - dead simple and if you get another old car without modern tech you can move the transmitter over :P

This is the model I have: https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Blue...dp/B0140SG7G8/ So far it's worked very well.
Same set up and it works great! Quick fix, while you explore other options.
Old 04-20-17, 11:47 AM
caverman
Instructor

Just ordered the standard Grom USB3. I think it will do all I want it to. Once I get it installed I'll post what I think about it.
Old 04-22-17, 05:25 PM
4cylinder
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caverman
Hmm....pretty interesting. That's cheap enough to give it a try and chalk it up to experience if it doesn't work. My only kicker I see with it at the moment is it just kind of being in the way as well as I put my phone cradle right on top of the ash tray cover.

By chance can you post a picture of what it looks like in your car?
Here you go

If I have any complaints it's that if I have the cupholders open with a drink inside, I can't reach the buttons. Anyway I just sold my LS430 so it's the new guy's problem now hahaha.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for MP3 player suggestions.-index.jpg  

Last edited by 4cylinder; 04-23-17 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-26-17, 07:22 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Very interesting.

What DIP setting did you use, and where did you mount the unit?

https://www.usaspec.com/p-322-bt45-toy.aspx

Their website states $229 - Amazon has it for $143 w/Prime 2-day shipping.
Installed this yesterday, easy-peasy.

Now I have BT with awesome sound and BT phone calls. It even tweaks the Audio display to show Artist and Song.
Old 04-26-17, 07:40 AM
caverman
Instructor

Now I have BT with awesome sound and BT phone calls. It even tweaks the Audio display to show Artist and Song.
I just installed the GROM USB3 last night. The only thing I would like it to do that it doesn't right now is to display the song in the Nav. Majority of the time I'll be using Pandora or Spotify to play music. Normally that would display on my phone but I guess since there is not interaction with the phone the screen shuts off and I can't see anything. When I tested my USB stick the songs played just fine but no titles on the screen which I had expected from what I read.

The reason I didn't go with the USA SPEC is that it looked like I would have to hook up both a USB for power and then the AUX cable to play the music. I wanted to stick to one cable and not two. Price was basically the same with the GROM unit.
Old 04-26-17, 08:48 AM
BryanHall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the GROM USB3 last night. The only thing I would like it to do that it doesn't right now is to display the song in the Nav. Majority of the time I'll be using Pandora or Spotify to play music. Normally that would display on my phone but I guess since there is not interaction with the phone the screen shuts off and I can't see anything. When I tested my USB stick the songs played just fine but no titles on the screen which I had expected from what I read.

The reason I didn't go with the USA SPEC is that it looked like I would have to hook up both a USB for power and then the AUX cable to play the music. I wanted to stick to one cable and not two. Price was basically the same with the GROM unit.
The artist and song titles show up for me on Spotify and podcasts, I don't use Pandora so cant confirm there. Make sure your nav is on the new CD2 input and press the Title button on the audio screen.
Old 04-26-17, 09:28 AM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by BryanHall
The artist and song titles show up for me on Spotify and podcasts, I don't use Pandora so cant confirm there. Make sure your nav is on the new CD2 input and press the Title button on the audio screen.
It is on CD2 but I don't know about the Title button. I'll have to check it out later.
Old 04-28-17, 06:03 AM
caverman
Instructor

After doing some testing and chatting with GROM, basically the artist/title only works with using Spotify as a plug in through their DashLinq program. You also have to have a premium account with Spotify to have the artist/title display in the Nav.

That being said, I'm new to streaming music and only started using Pandoa on and off about 6 months ago. I decided to try Spotify (free version) to see the difference. I don't like the Spotify interface nearly as well as Pandora's but the sound quality of Spotify vs Pandora going through the GROM is pretty significant. Spotify sounds really good in my LS. I just picked up my '05 LS less than a month ago after having a '04 LS for about two years. Even though they both had ML stereos, my '05 definitely sounds way better than my '04 did and yes, I did mess with the settings in my '04 just as well as my '05.

I'll probably be switching over to Spotify next month after my Pandora comes up for monthly renewal.
Old 04-28-17, 08:41 AM
BryanHall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have a premium account with Spotify, didn't even think that would be a limit of the free account. I'm using an iPhone, don't know if android vs iPhone have a different behavior. I dont have DashLinq, just the Grom USB3.
Old 05-01-17, 11:15 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

I don't like the Spotify interface nearly as well as Pandora's but the sound quality of Spotify vs Pandora going through the GROM is pretty significant.
Make sure the feature in Settings is checked which increases the audio quality.
Old 05-11-17, 07:33 AM
caverman
Instructor

What music are you playing that shows song/artist? Are you using local files or an app like Pandora or Spotify?

I will say that's been the only major draw back to the GROM is that I can't get it to display the song/artist. After contacting them they said Pandora (my preference) is out because they can't make the API call to get the information. You have to use a premium account with Spotify AND you have to use their app called DashLinq to open up Spotify. Just opening up Spotify on its own won't get you the display. Actually I haven't been able to successfully display song/artist yet even following their suggestions. The next step is I'm supposed to turn off USB Streaming inside of DashLinq but then that kills playing Pandora or even using your USP memory stick until you turn it back on. It's a lot of jumping through hoops in my opinion.

Then again not having the song/artist in the Nav is not the end of the world. I just tap on my phone and can see it there.

Phone calls are done through the factory BT connection.

Knowing what I know now I'm not 100% sure I would have gone with GROM over USA Spec. Both are probably good with just some minor differences.

@Daspyda....I would be curious to see if you can play songs through Pandora and have the song/artist display. If you can, try to take a picture and post it here. I'll go to GROM and as why their competition can.

Last edited by caverman; 05-11-17 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-11-17, 10:43 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

I use Pandora almost all the time unless I want to hear a front-to-back album, then I listen to Google Play. Samsung Galaxy S8+, Nougat OS.

The song - and artist - appears under the Audio button on the Nav. Now, I am not sure if there's a setting to keep the NAV screen on as a constant view of music selections so - if I am curious of the artist - I just press the Audio button.

You use the steering wheel controls for song change and volume.

I'll try to remember to get a picture. In the meantime, you can read the manual on the USA Spec: https://
www.usaspec.com/images/document/Owners%20manual/bt45toy_manual103016_web.pdf

01-03 models require CAS-LEX cable available separately.

Last edited by Daspyda; 05-11-17 at 10:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
caverman (05-11-17)
Old 05-11-17, 12:08 PM
caverman
Instructor

Bummer for me...that makes me kind of wish I bought USA Spec. I doubt GROM would do a refund and I would probably have a hard time selling it without taking a pretty big loss. Live and learn I guess. At least this info is now getting out there so others will have better info on what they want to do.

I'm still new with paid music apps but I definitely like Pandora better than Spotify. I've been trying to make myself learn Spotify just because of the GROM but it's just not intuitive GUI and I can't play it on my computer like I can Pandora.

So, just to make sure I understand how USA Spec works, it has both a USB and an Aux cable that you have to plug in? Well, I guess he USB is optional but if you want it to charge you use the USB cable?

Last edited by caverman; 05-11-17 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-11-17, 12:29 PM
caverman
Instructor

I guess the one positive of GROM over USA Spec is the fact that I can play music off of my USB memory stick. I only tried it once for testing and would probably rarely ever use that over a music app.

Looks like I have about 10 more days and I might be able to return my GROM but not sure it's worth dealing with. I'm just surprised that you say the USA Spec can display song/artist from Pandora but GROM techs say it's not possible because they have their API's locked down. Good news is I can play Pandora without an issue, it just doesn't show song/artist.

Quick Reply: Looking for MP3 player suggestions.