This car is smarter than ME!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-17, 03:24 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts
Default This car is smarter than ME!

Every day brings new questions.

1) I have a low tire pressure warning and in reading the manual to see how to reset it, I am told there is a reset button to the left of the steering wheel. NO THERE ISNT! The pictures in the manual do NOT match my LS-430

2) I read about the "tractor beam" that allows you to set cruise control to attach to the car in front of you and follow. But I dont understand how to set it....something to do with DISP2 Once the thing is set...I guess I can turn off the engine and save gas...LOL

3) What the hell is DISP1 for?

4) How do I determine if the fob I have is a "master" or not. I dont seem to be able to start the car unless I put the fob into the hole and turn it. Cant just turn it with the fob in my pocket. There is a blinking red light labeled "SMART" to the left of the steering wheel and an occasional green light next to it but I dont know what it means. Maybe the red means that I am not smart enough.
Old 04-11-17, 03:38 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

1. tire pressure reset button is under dash, above accelerator pedal
you don't have the laser cruise unless you have CL or UL, you have a ML
3. Disp 1 tells the average speed, miles per gallon and other stuff on dash to left of center
4. if key has a picture of car with trunk open it is a master, no car on key is a valet key.
I hope you did not destroy a master key, they are valuable. valet keys not so much
Old 04-11-17, 04:09 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

No, The one I destroyed was the valet key. I didnt like the looks of it to begin with so I started my battery replacement with it. Its not totally destroyed, I can glue it back together bu tthe mechanical key wont lock in anymore because the detent flew over my shoulder into another dimension.

I still have two masters. but they dont allow me to start the car unless i put them in the slot and turn them.

So the DISP2 doesnt do anything if I dont have the "tractor beam". Dang, at $68K new, I thought it would have everything.
Gave me airconditioned seats (cant believe that even exists), I would rather had the tractor beam....LOL
Old 04-11-17, 04:26 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

If I sit my key in the passenger seat my car will not start either. It seems that the key has to be very close which I don't get. I have a brand new battery too.
Old 04-11-17, 06:11 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
1. tire pressure reset button is under dash, above accelerator pedal
you don't have the laser cruise unless you have CL or UL, you have a ML
what are CL, UL, and ML
Old 04-11-17, 06:30 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

If I remember correctly, the DISP2 will take away the outside climate temperature reading when you hold it down for a few seconds. If you want the temperature reading for the outside back up then release and hold it down again for a few seconds until it reappears.

I think something is wrong with your smart key....If you are able to keep it in your pocket and unlock and lock the car via the car handle, you should be able to start the car with the key in your pocket as well...
Old 04-11-17, 07:17 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by LS430FL
I think something is wrong with your smart key....If you are able to keep it in your pocket and unlock and lock the car via the car handle, you should be able to start the car with the key in your pocket as well...
I dont know if I can. I have always locked and unlocked the doors by pressing the buttons. If I left it n my pocket, how would I lock the door?
Old 04-11-17, 07:41 PM
lildann
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
I dont know if I can. I have always locked and unlocked the doors by pressing the buttons. If I left it n my pocket, how would I lock the door?
The little black button on the door handle is how You lock the car with the key in your pocket. Touching the black pad on the inside of the outside door handle is how you unlock it. You may have turned off the smart feature for the car. The smart feature allows you to start or lock/unlock the car with the key in your pocket. There is a button under the dash by the steering wheel to turn it on and off. It's labeled "Smart" I think. The button is near the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) button. BTW, you have to hold that button down for like 10 seconds to reset it. There will be a chime noise and a message in the dash when you do it. It needs to be reset every time the tires are rotated because it's a passive TPMS system. Otherwise you might get a warning light for no real reason.
The following users liked this post:
Jabberwock (04-11-17)
Old 04-11-17, 08:25 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Thumbs up

All of a sudden the fog clears.
Just before I bought the car it was in the shop (not Lexus) for tire inspections and service. After it came back, the low pressure warning was on and the shop could NOT make it go out and suggested that the spare might be low. But the owner didnt want to take it back because they had been unpleasant to her about the warning light. So that is the way I got it. However it was also at this time that the smart key quit working and she was having trouble opening the trunk.

A light bulb comes on over my head ! ! ! They pushed the wrong button and are not smart enough to realize it. So much for using anyone but the dealer to service your car ! !

Now if I can find those hidden buttons. I tried feeling for them when I was trying to reset the low pressure warning, but could not find anything. Guess I will have to get on my head and search for them.
Old 04-11-17, 08:30 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

This is a very good place with lots of helpful folks to come to with questions from new LS430 owners on the various complexities of the LS430. Also because of our extensive history (literally thousands of posts) using the forum search feature can be very informative in searching past threads using key words related to issues/subjects for which you have questions. And finally a close and careful reading of the somewhat overwhelming operator's manual is a big assist to settling in to long term ownership. When I got my car, I took the manual out and put it on my bedside table, read it as light before bedtime reading material for the 2-3 weeks it took to get through it.
Old 04-11-17, 08:40 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

I agree and have been reading the book about 4 hours a day since Saturday. THEN I come here for clarification. And I am getting the clarification I need. Its a good place. I told my wife it was enough for a semmester college course worth at least 3 hours.
Old 04-11-17, 08:42 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

The buttons in question are mounted very low on the front dash surface. You have to basically get on hands and knees to see them at slightly above ankle height.

There are no in tire air pressure sensors on any model of the LS430. Instead the TPMS uses the ABS system and it monitors only the 4 mounted wheels based on comparative rotation speed and not air pressure. Anyone that talks to you about the need to check the spare tire for air pressure, or mentions in tire wheel mounted sensors, related to the LS430 TPMS has absolutely no clue how the TPMS actually works in the LS430.
Old 04-12-17, 07:31 AM
Jkallinen
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Laser Adaptive cruise control is a tough one to get use to if you have never driven a car with it before. My first few times
using it were kinda scary when you don`t know what its doing. Yes, i should have read up more about it first. Cruising the
highway and have your cruise set at say 60mph. you come up on car doing doing only 55mph. The will automatically slow
and match the speed of the car in front of you keeping distance the same. freaked me out the first time happened when
I normally kick off the cruise control at time like this. Now that I am use to it, its actually kinda cool to have it set. Car in
front to slow, change lanes and it goes back to your previous speed setting, and you pass them up.
Old 04-12-17, 07:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
The buttons in question are mounted very low on the front dash surface. You have to basically get on hands and knees to see them at slightly above ankle height.

There are no in tire air pressure sensors on any model of the LS430. Instead the TPMS uses the ABS system and it monitors only the 4 mounted wheels based on comparative rotation speed and not air pressure. Anyone that talks to you about the need to check the spare tire for air pressure, or mentions in tire wheel mounted sensors, related to the LS430 TPMS has absolutely no clue how the TPMS actually works in the LS430.
No lie, when I put my summer tires on last weekend, I could not find the button that I had pressed back in Dec. I had to google it with my phone to know how to find it, that wasn't the best design, it's as if Toyota engineers don't want this to be touched....I know 2016 VWs use this method, personally it beats paying for new sensors, which I did with the BMW since they were over 8 yrs. old when I got new tires. Interesting too was that the originals from 2007 had special valve caps which are no longer available/made. I was able to preserve mine, a guy on the forum got them stolen and was irritated they couldn't be replaced...

I can only imagine how smart the new cars are where they tell instantaneous torque, clock 0-60, stream music, etc. One feature I really like about our LS', is that the car automatically keeps the tank mpg average. So if you wanted to reset it just to see say highway only, you could, without erasing the historical tank avg...
Old 04-12-17, 07:56 AM
biacs
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I must have a rusty tire bead, I've had to reset my tire light several times. You can fish around and locate the button sitting in teh driver seat once you have a good idea where it is. There is also a volume dial nearby for the alarm 'beep'. Sometimes you may want it adjusted, which is a very nice thing to have as an option.

Quick Reply: This car is smarter than ME!