LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

mashed the pedal to the floor (first time)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 05:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default mashed the pedal to the floor (first time)

I don't have a need for speed, generally speaking. So since owning the car since Oct., I've never mashed my foot to the floor.

I have a pet peeve, it has nothing to do with having a kid, because he's only 3 and does not ride a school bus yet. But I cannot stand people who pass school buses. Hey, I get it, if you're behind one on the way to work, it's a PITA. In my state, it's an automatic 60 day suspension and 5 pts. if convicted, so I think people play a game of what are the odds the bus has a dash cam or the driver can remember my plate or there's a cop there who will see it.

Today, I'm behind a bus, and people are trying to squeeze by the shoulder before the lights go on. Two problems--the shoulder is too narrow to begin with on a good day, and even narrower with frozen snow still remaining.

One guy manages to get by, the second guy is a Hyundai Accent with dark windows, who ends up next to me when the bus stops and turns on his reds. The bus completed his pickup, turned left, and so the Accent tries to pass me while still on the shoulder, which is too narrow. Rather than fall behind me, once the shoulder opens up, he tries again to pass me on the shoulder (at this point, what for?). I put my foot to the floor, and the Accent could not keep up and is history, though history who is going 60 mph (yes I was speeding at this point so I need to mellow back out and just get the BlackVue installed).

This car is pretty quick, even though everyone thinks it's a big older person's car....
Old 03-21-17, 11:17 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

It's a lot of fun to do this when taking family and friend on test drives Also pushing corners a little with the Sports Suspension
Old 03-21-17, 04:26 PM
Ecohman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I floor my cars on a regular basis😎. That's what 4 cams, 32 valves, and high compression are for. The first time I floored my new to me 06 430, after I let off and got back in the throttle a big cloud of smoke came out of the exhaust. Scary. I went back to the older couple I bought the car from, who owned the car for 10 years, and told them about the problem. (ITurned out it was overfilled with oil). The lady said, "I don't think I have ever floored it. Honey, did you ever?" He hadn't either. Got it up to 85 on the expressway a few times. Poor car. 10 years without being opened up. Our engine was developed from an engine designed for Indy car racing. My GS430 has 324,000 miles, and will still easily top 140.
Old 03-21-17, 04:35 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ecohman
I floor my cars on a regular basis��. That's what 4 cams, 32 valves, and high compression are for. The first time I floored my new to me 06 430, after I let off and got back in the throttle a big cloud of smoke came out of the exhaust. Scary. I went back to the older couple I bought the car from, who owned the car for 10 years, and told them about the problem. (ITurned out it was overfilled with oil). The lady said, "I don't think I have ever floored it. Honey, did you ever?" He hadn't either. Got it up to 85 on the expressway a few times. Poor car. 10 years without being opened up. Our engine was developed from an engine designed for Indy car racing. My GS430 has 324,000 miles, and will still easily top 140.
haha an older BMW 760 took off in front of me, and there were clouds of smoke. I thought I really hope your coolant isn't all over my car, I just washed it. If it did get on my car, I'd rather have my car dirty, the dirt would protect it a little. This happened to my brand new Maxima in 1998, and it got tiny orange dots on the white paint from someone else's coolant. I bet that 760 was newer than my 430....
Old 03-21-17, 07:53 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

The LS430 is a sleeper in terms of quickness. On the highway, passing power is fantastic, and top end on the car is high enough to get you into serious trouble. There are or were utubes out there of the LS doing 160mph+ in cars with the speed governor modified. I the U.S.A, I think the LS is speed governed to not exceed 135mph, but haven't tried it first hand.
Old 03-21-17, 08:45 PM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Even with all of the sound inhibitors on these, the engine just sounds wonderful when you let her open up and breath.
As stated above, the mill is DESIGNED to get up and go. Personally, since I live in Texas now and we have far higher speed limits than my home state of Oregon, I admit that I will still probably get a ticket someday. I am very glad it is a silver vehicle versus red or black. That might help me not get noticed while doing a c note on farm to market stretches of smooth wide. I just love the torque when the real power band strikes a chord.

In the past, I had the privilege of driving a 2003 Mercury Maurader, also a 32 valve. Problem with it was it made a lot more exhaust noise and was black. I got to know some of the troopers by name....

I know that the 06 430 is not a race car... But don't ask or don't tell just like a concealed weapon permit😇.

Best dang machine I have ever had for long treks with the ability to get out of the way, or way ahead.

Btw, her nickname is "Serenity".

​​​​​​​Doug k
Old 03-22-17, 10:18 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Top speed (US spec) is limited to 131. I'm sure some CL members have done it. The European LS top speed is supposed to be 155. Anyone know if it's the same luxury (soft) suspension as the US models? Do the Euro cars automatically get the "sports suspension"? With SS, there's some road feedback and the car feels a lot more stable at high speed.

Out here, the first time you get stopped driving over 100, you can get points, a mandatory court appearance, possible 30 day license suspension and up to a $500 fine.
Old 03-22-17, 10:58 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Top speed (US spec) is limited to 131. I'm sure some CL members have done it. The European LS top speed is supposed to be 155. Anyone know if it's the same luxury (soft) suspension as the US models? Do the Euro cars automatically get the "sports suspension"? With SS, there's some road feedback and the car feels a lot more stable at high speed.

Out here, the first time you get stopped driving over 100, you can get points, a mandatory court appearance, possible 30 day license suspension and up to a $500 fine.
When I was 19, got busted 155 in a 55. Stupid invincible kid listened to his stupid college roommate. I had already heard the expression that you can outrun the police but you cannot outrun Motorola. The other thing you can't outrun is Bell Helicopter (a Textron Company)....
Old 03-22-17, 11:48 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I floored my parent's 430 the other day ago just to clear its throat out and I was shocked at how smooth it got up to speed, I had to get around the peloton(cars, mind you) to get into the fast lane to pass. Not feeling the kickdown switch like the older UCF10/20 cars was a little weird at first, forgot these are DBW.

These cars are gentle giants, like a big cat stalking its prey.
Old 03-22-17, 03:11 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I don't have a need for speed, generally speaking. So since owning the car since Oct., I've never mashed my foot to the floor.

I have a pet peeve, it has nothing to do with having a kid, because he's only 3 and does not ride a school bus yet. But I cannot stand people who pass school buses. Hey, I get it, if you're behind one on the way to work, it's a PITA. In my state, it's an automatic 60 day suspension and 5 pts. if convicted, so I think people play a game of what are the odds the bus has a dash cam or the driver can remember my plate or there's a cop there who will see it.

Today, I'm behind a bus, and people are trying to squeeze by the shoulder before the lights go on. Two problems--the shoulder is too narrow to begin with on a good day, and even narrower with frozen snow still remaining.

One guy manages to get by, the second guy is a Hyundai Accent with dark windows, who ends up next to me when the bus stops and turns on his reds. The bus completed his pickup, turned left, and so the Accent tries to pass me while still on the shoulder, which is too narrow. Rather than fall behind me, once the shoulder opens up, he tries again to pass me on the shoulder (at this point, what for?). I put my foot to the floor, and the Accent could not keep up and is history, though history who is going 60 mph (yes I was speeding at this point so I need to mellow back out and just get the BlackVue installed).

This car is pretty quick, even though everyone thinks it's a big older person's car....
Those guys are idiots and they drew you into their dangerous idiocy. Shoulda let that clown go.
Old 03-22-17, 04:43 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

Sorry, but I have not mashed my pedal. If I had and I have mashed it.... I did get no response at all and the great V8 just stopped short of getting me killed. These old cars don't always perform as expected.
Old 03-22-17, 05:21 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

My coworker asked me the other day if I had any plans on upgrading the BMW, he was saying I could have 36x HP and ft. lbs. at the wheels for $479.....I said don't need it...that's like 100 extra HP and ft lbs. at the crank for only $479, amazing how cheap performance comes nowadays. I once was following this kid (17-19) at the University who was driving a Ferrari California, getting onto 476. He was pulling away like a sob but when I looked down my speedo was at 130 mph just like that. I said whoa I need my careful driver discount and backed it down immediately. There's a Mario Andretti in all of us, whether we like it, or not. My cousin told me 2 years ago, you have a son now, you can't be outrunning the police like you used to, because one day, your luck will run out. True...
Old 04-01-17, 08:05 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default pedal to the metal

would not risk my pension either. If you like the italian tune-up, just shift down a few gears and let her rip. As long as the rpms get past 4k.it will clear out the breathing apparatus. Try to stay within the speed limit but with higher rpms. Select open road without creating a hazard and cross your fingers. It is always taking a chance. We have a wide open stretch, straight as an arrow. A real temptation. And so many "foreigners" get caught.
Radar dedectors are useless because we have areal surveillance. No police car in sight and then bammmm.. No chance to excape.No problem for the locals but the poor out of towners. What really surprises me, the majorities are driving 4wheel trucks.. My neighbor's friend was caught doing 140km/hr in the 80 km zone. Got charged with exceeding posted speed limit, dangerous driving. First offence 375, second offence 375, car impounded and towed to impound lot 135, storage fees for 30 days 450, 3 points on his license, court appearance and send to driver education session.
All that for 2.5 miles of "fun"
Would have been cheaper to rent a car at the Nurburgring
Old 04-02-17, 06:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by semar
would not risk my pension either. If you like the italian tune-up, just shift down a few gears and let her rip. As long as the rpms get past 4k.it will clear out the breathing apparatus. Try to stay within the speed limit but with higher rpms. Select open road without creating a hazard and cross your fingers. It is always taking a chance. We have a wide open stretch, straight as an arrow. A real temptation. And so many "foreigners" get caught.
Radar dedectors are useless because we have areal surveillance. No police car in sight and then bammmm.. No chance to excape.No problem for the locals but the poor out of towners. What really surprises me, the majorities are driving 4wheel trucks.. My neighbor's friend was caught doing 140km/hr in the 80 km zone. Got charged with exceeding posted speed limit, dangerous driving. First offence 375, second offence 375, car impounded and towed to impound lot 135, storage fees for 30 days 450, 3 points on his license, court appearance and send to driver education session.
All that for 2.5 miles of "fun"
Would have been cheaper to rent a car at the Nurburgring
I don't feel the need anymore, but it's a shame when you have capable vehicles, to not be able to realize their potential. I also don't feel like paying $2000 to spend a weekend in SC driving M cars like my buddy. I will be driving the new 5 series at an autocross event later this month--free is good.

I think we all should be reeducated every 5 years on the latest rules, regs, penalties, etc. Even I was not aware that a school bus violation is an automatic suspension--people are blowing the school buses' reds every day of the week. Not sure if they know either.
Old 04-02-17, 06:56 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I think we all should be reeducated every 5 years on the latest rules, regs, penalties, etc. Even I was not aware that a school bus violation is an automatic suspension--people are blowing the school buses' reds every day of the week. Not sure if they know either.
In the risk of drifting too far off the thread here, Wisconsin implemented a new law 01Jan, that basically states you have to move into the center lanes if an emergency vehicle is stopped on the shoulder, or someone has been pulled over by the police. So, driving as much as I do on I-94 every day, I'll see State Patrol cars with someone pulled over and only 1 out of 5 cars will change lanes when going past them. It is a fineable offense, but as you stated, most people don't know that what they're supposed to do...

Quick Reply: mashed the pedal to the floor (first time)