LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04-06 bad transmission. how many?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 06:33 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 04-06 bad transmission. how many?

Update. Rebuilt my transmission after slipping. Flash the ecu. Still jerks when down shifting from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st

I just bought a 05 at 206k miles with a bad transmission. When slowing down it would jerk hard when it down shifts from 2nd to 1st. Slight jerk from 3rd to 2nd and hard jerk on the freeway when you gun it.

dropped the pan to inspect the solenoids, looked good and functional. I drained and filled (black fluids) it a couple of times, it helped but now it slips. I was kind of waiting for it to go out to rebuild it. when I dropped the pan looked like previous owner did serviced it before, but I'm not sure when.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced a bad trans on the 04-06 at high miles?

Last edited by k7q; 03-29-17 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 10:59 AM
gonzo6869
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it started slipping after you filled it with new fluid? You may want to make sure it is all the way full. I read a post on this particular subject, basically the method to get it properly​ filled is quite involved.
Just a thought before ditching your trans.
Old 03-20-17, 12:50 PM
04LS
Driver School Candidate

I had the exact same issue with the down shifting, had the entire transmission rebuilt and it ended up being the CPU. I fixed that and now its good. Wish I did the CPU first..... would have saved 3k.... lol. I guarantee that's the problem.
Old 03-20-17, 01:18 PM
k7q
Instructor

Originally Posted by gonzo6869
So it started slipping after you filled it with new fluid? You may want to make sure it is all the way full. I read a post on this particular subject, basically the method to get it properly​ filled is quite involved.
Ya started to slip after I did a couple of drained and fill. It's filled. trans is bad. Fluid smells burnt now. I bought the car knowing it had a bad trans. Previous owner didn't take good care of it.

Originally Posted by 04LS
I had the exact same issue with the down shifting, had the entire transmission rebuilt and it ended up being the CPU. I fixed that and now its good. Wish I did the CPU first..... would have saved 3k.... lol. I guarantee that's the problem.
I also read about the cpu needing a reflash also. How much did the dealer charge you?

I was going to send to reflash but decided to check and change the fluids first.
Old 03-20-17, 01:28 PM
gonzo6869
5th Gear

Well I guess it's time to get her rebuilt and enjoy the car for years to come.
Its a costly repair but well worth it for a well built car that will last you another 200k+ miles.
Old 03-20-17, 01:57 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Perhaps ironically, changing the A/T fluid can often accentuate trans issues, or even cause issues where there weren't any, especially when doing a complete trans flush with new fluid.
Old 03-20-17, 04:58 PM
NCUser
Driver School Candidate

I just drained and refilled the transmission with about 2.5 qts of ATF-WS. The transmission groans a lot less now. I am not happy about how Toyota suggests not to change ATF ever. I think any oil / lubricant will eventually start to wear down, and its healthy to change them at regular intervals.
Old 03-21-17, 05:51 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by NCUser
I think any oil / lubricant will eventually start to wear down, and its healthy to change them at regular intervals.
The definitive word there is regular intervals. Nothing worse than buying a car that you decide to "freshen up" and do a fluid/filter change only to have problems surface because of a lack of maintenance by the previous owner..
Old 03-21-17, 11:15 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by k7q
Ya started to slip after I did a couple of drained and fill. It's filled. trans is bad. Fluid smells burnt now. I bought the car knowing it had a bad trans. Previous owner didn't take good care of it.

I also read about the cpu needing a reflash also. How much did the dealer charge you?

I was going to send to reflash but decided to check and change the fluids first.
$105 at an indy. If you go this route make sure he (she) is a certified Lex Tech
Old 03-21-17, 12:28 PM
NCUser
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
.... because of a lack of maintenance by the previous owner..
Lack of Maintenance is because Lexus and its dealer says its not serviceable. If Lexus and dealer says its sealed and should not be opened, how would an average Joe know otherwise? How many owners do really read clublexus? My car's previous owner didn't even know owners.lexus.com existed. I think buyer of a $75k car would not mind spending $200 every 30k miles to maintain the transmission if Lexus says its needed. For instance my car's service history shows following despite being sealed transmission:

17888 MILES: TEST TRANSMISSION FLUID AND SET SHIFT POINTS AND DOWNSHIFT
28854 MILES: SERVICE TRANSMISSION.
43817 MILES: TEST TRANSMISSION FLUID AND SET SHIFT POINTS AND DOWNSHIFT
60771 MILES: SERVICE TRANSMISSION. WORLD STANDARD TRANS FLUID EQUIPPE
Old 03-21-17, 01:15 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

got my car with 72000 miles and did first drain and fill at 95,000 service. did 2nd 1500 miles later. its the additives that wear out over time. some might want to do it every 30,000 miles, I believe every 50,000 miles is good enough. don't be afraid to start if your car is under 100,000 miles. better late than never. if you already have a hi mileage transmission you might be too late. the transmission and torque converter hold about 11.5 total quarts I think. each drain and fill should replace 3 quarts, but the dealer charged my for 4 quarts each time so 3 quarts and a capful from the 4th..I used to feel the shift to 6th gear when the car was cold. car will not shift into overdrive until it reaches a certain temp. for my car it is between the c and the 1st mark. now I have to try to feel the shift as it is almost imperceptible. it has been 30,000 miles since my 2nd drain and fill, and I just might do another when I get my 125,000 mile service. I live in what is called a severe climate do to high temperatures and a lot of dust.
Old 03-21-17, 01:57 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Have an 04 (6 speed). Not bad, but could feel the shifts. Did D/F #1 at 102. Did D/F #2 at 103. Shifts are now super smooth. Depending on rpm, usually can't tell when it's shifting. Plan to do D/F every 25k. Cheap insurance.
Old 03-21-17, 09:34 PM
k7q
Instructor

Hopefully I can get my trans rebuild by Thursday or Friday. I'll update again when it's done.
Old 03-24-17, 09:11 AM
danielmew
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission pulsation

How can you tell if the CPU is going bad. My code reader tells me is solenoid valves #1 and #4. My transmission is slipping as well too. It is one of those rebuilt tranny from Lexus when the car was still under warranty. Granted, the rebuilt transmission has over 70km on it now. Now my car has this pulsation when I am at freeway speed.
Old 03-24-17, 12:26 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by gonzo6869
Over fill causes problems too. First mechanic drained and replaced w a equal amount. Shifting was noticeable. Took it to a dealer. Told me it was 3/4 of a quart over. They refilled using temperature. Expensive but the shifts are now seamless.

Quick Reply: 04-06 bad transmission. how many?